Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

When I bought my car 5 years ago there were two main things I wanted to do with it: Restore the body and convert to a manual trans. A number of things have come up in the meantime, both mods and repairs. I replaced the engine last fall (Thanks Nate!), swapped in coilover suspension, replaced the original doors that were completely rotten, BBS wheels, custom exhaust, etc etc etc. (See my signiture mod list )

This spring I finally had the opportunity to grab a 6MT with all the bits I need, and last weekend I finally started the swap.

Bring it all home:

Last weekend I started the work, but had some other stuff to take care of on the car first. My parking brake had seized up a while ago, so new cables and rear brakes were the first order of business. I also picked up a set of front calipers, I've been doing impromptu rebuilds on mine since I bought the car and got a little bored with it. The calipers will end up black as well.

Amusingly, the parts guy couldn't believe that the calipers were for a Subaru. Between the size and the dual pistons he was sure they belonged on a Chevy half-ton.

Today I got a bunch done. I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Not long for you my old friend...

4EAT out and meeting it's replacement! Anyone want it? Trans jacks are the **** by the way.

My sophisticated engine holding tool. Keeps it from falling forward without the transmission there. (It's one of the bellhousing bolts. Do not try this if you don't have a PWR rad!)

Tomorrow is interior day. Get the shifter and stock pedals out, remove the TCU, all that fun stuff.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-27-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:50 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

Very cool. Welcome to the club.

Any issues/questions so far?

What are you doing with the pedals? That part may turn out to be trickier than you think.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

No issues so far. It's amazing how well built these cars are; 20 years old and the only bolts that are stuck are the tiny ones holding the parking brake cable to sheet metal brackets. All of the bolts for the subframe, rear diff, suspension and everything else come apart like they were assembled yesterday.

The transmission came with one of YT's conversion kits, so I've already got the pedals sitting and ready to go. I may build my own transmission cross member down the road some time just because this one is a little rusty and I'd like to have things looking show-room underneath.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 06-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

Nice pics! Good luck with the project, this is great motivation for me to get off my butt and start the 6 spd conversion!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
No issues so far. It's amazing how well built these cars are; 20 years old and the only bolts that are stuck are the tiny ones holding the parking brake cable to sheet metal brackets. All of the bolts for the subframe, rear diff, suspension and everything else come apart like they were assembled yesterday.

The transmission came with one of YT's conversion kits, so I've already got the pedals sitting and ready to go. I may build my own transmission cross member down the road some time just because this one is a little rusty and I'd like to have things looking show-room underneath.
Can you please take pics of these things? I'd like to make a comprehensive m/t swap thread and those would really help. Also the shifter linkages. If you can, I will write it all up, and I'm sure it will help others in the future. Especially as the older members who have the experience become less active.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Absolutely. I won't be back in town for two weeks, but I'll definitely do that for you. I'd been wondering about a few of the details myself before I got the kit and saw how it all goes together.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Round 2: I'll be starting on the swap again tomorrow, but in the meantime I had a little bit of fun with some Brembos.

As YT found out a while back, the mounting lugs on the SVX knuckles are farther out than an Impreza's. The caliper mounts up, but with the added outward push my 17" STi rims don't clear them. Fortunately I just happen to have an 18" wheel lying around...

The stock rotors don't work at all, so I just tossed the wheel on without one. It's a tight fit:

Hard to tell in that picture, but there's about 2mm clearance from the wheel to the caliper. Obviously with a rotor installed that would be better.

Soooo pretty...

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-27-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Sunday (Canada Day for we Northerners!) Update:

Flex plate out, flywheel in, auto pedals out, TCU out, other misc stuff. The main thing today was pretty-ing up the transmission:

Don't mind the broken engine in the background. The colour is Rustoleum Hammered Black, it's basically a very dark grey with a beaten/cast texture. Looks really nice. I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning the transmission with a combination of wire brushes, degreasers, and other means. (Turns out electric toothbrushes make excellent cleaning tools )

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the pedals mounted (I'm honestly finding this to be the hardest part of the job), the clutch disc/pressure plate installed, and maybe swap the R180 into the back end.

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-27-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Flex plate out, flywheel in, auto pedals out, TCU out, other misc stuff. The main thing today was pretty-ing up the transmission:

[pic]

Don't mind the broken engine in the background. The colour is Rustoleum Hammered Black, it's basically a very dark grey with a beaten/cast texture. Looks really nice. I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning the transmission with a combination of wire brushes, degreasers, and other means. (Turns out electric toothbrushes make excellent cleaning tools )

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the pedals mounted (I'm honestly finding this to be the hardest part of the job), the clutch disc/pressure plate installed, and maybe swap the R180 into the back end.
Having removed or put back the pedals at least 5 times, I can assure you that that is the hardest part. Without ever taking out any of the interior to do so. I am a skinny basterd so I can get away with stuff like that.

Try to make the hole for the clutch master cyl as small as you can. You'll appreciate it years later, I promise. Also, if you don't and you don't cover it up somehow either, your feet and the pedals will get hot on long drives.

MAKE SURE THAT NO PART OF THE CLUTCH PEDAL CUTS INTO THE WHITE PLASTIC THINGY that covers all the wires above the pedals.

That trans looks very nice. I wish I had had the forethought to paint mine. I have used that paint and it does look really good.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Love the paint color!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Registered SVX

I am planning on doing a really comprehensive write-up on manual swaps, and since you're taking Lots-O-Pics anyway, can you make sure to take some pics of the following:

Auto and M/T pedals
Crossmember
Shifter linkages
Whatever you do in order to mount the lower shift linkage to the body
Whatever you do to seal the shifter area with the rubber seal or whatever
Master cylinder and especially the tubing going to the slave cyl
The wiring to the old auto harness (btw, making an adapter from the extra loom that plugs into the trans worked really good for me)
The wiring to next to the auto shifter (that 4-wire white plug you have to jumper 2 of the wires)

Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Will do. I actually just took the shots of the pedal assembly to show what's modified, I'll grab the rest as I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Having removed or put back the pedals at least 5 times, I can assure you that that is the hardest part. Without ever taking out any of the interior to do so. I am a skinny basterd so I can get away with stuff like that.
I'm a skinny bastard too, but unfortunately I'm also 6'-1" with long arms and big hands. The contortions required to get in there are not the most pleasant.

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-02-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Will do. I actually just took the shots of the pedal assembly to show what's modified, I'll grab the rest as I go.

I'm a skinny bastard too, but unfortunately I'm also 6'-1" with long arms and big hands. The contortions required to get in there are not the most pleasant.
Thanks.

"Contortions" is the perfect word for that, lol. Yea, not an experience I'm looking to repeat.

What kind of 6-speed is it btw? Year/DCCD?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:

Flex plate out, flywheel in,
Did you use longer bolts than the standard flexplate bolts?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Thanks.

"Contortions" is the perfect word for that, lol. Yea, not an experience I'm looking to repeat.

What kind of 6-speed is it btw? Year/DCCD?
It's a 2007 long-geared USDM. It has DCCD, but I haven't decided if/how I'm going to employ it. Honestly this swap is enough work at the moment, I'll worry about that once the car is driving again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Did you use longer bolts than the standard flexplate bolts?
OMGWTFBBQSAUCE there are longer bolts?!