Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Building a 10,000 rpm NA engine.

As an old school guy I know that when you increace compression ratios at low ratios(8 to 1) you get a BIG increace in Hp.
But as you go from 10 to 1 up, the improvement is not as great
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-14-2012, 02:31 AM

My early Subaru GSR had 10:1 as it was a rally car but when we shave the heads it flew. The good thing is I still have the engine and car.

Harvey will update us as to what he has found.

I had intended to do things in steps when we got the dyno going but I think we will skip and go straight to a main act of sorts.

So I want to get all the bit for the new engine,

What I will do is,
ECU Wolf
Replace rods,
Cams
Injectors 550cc,
Oil pump,
Shave heads to 14:1
and most likly buckets on valves.

Not convinced that I need to change pistons.

By the way I have been talking to a number of people in the plastics game about, is it possiable to build a plastic individual throttle bodie. Have even talk to a guy about using carbon fibre, it seems they have some hi temp resins now so this maybe possiable as well. Given vacum moulding it may not be as expensive as it seems. Also my CNC skills today are a planent better then a year ago. I cut steel today faster then I use to cut alum.

Tony

As I was just saying to Harvey don't think I will be walking away from SVX's for a few years yet.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Tony,

Have you considered 3D printing? The folks here at Goddard are doing some pretty impressive work that you couldn't even begin to figure out how to do on a CNC machine. I was just talking with a young engineer here who was presenting his R&D project in which he did a miniature vacuum pump via 3D printing and actually welded the connections into the 3D piece.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
So base case was 10:1,
My guess is 14%
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
My best guess is less than 10%.
For example;
Bowling's Compression Ratio -> HP CalculatorComputation Results:
Engine Horsepower (peak) is 230
Old Compression Ratio is 10.0
New Compression Ratio is 14.0
Computation Results:
Computed New Engine HP is 249, a 8 percent change
Did the run with only the compression ratio changed from 10:1 to 14:1.
The torque increased by 7.45% at 6000, 10% at 7000, 9.79% at 8000.
So Tom was right there. The old book still reads right for us old blokes.

While we gained a 10% increase in torque, I found that we lost 2% in the Volumetric Efficiency, dropped from 112% to 110%.
This means that we are not filling that cylinder as well as we were. I spent sometime looking through the data to see why, but finally found it, by looking at the pressure at the inlet valve at closing, it had dropped.
So it means that due to that raise in the ratio, the pressure on the compression stroke rose faster than before. This then pushes air out of the cylinder back up the inlet tract, before the valve closed.

When we set up the valve timing, we wait till the pressure in the cylinder, equals the pressure in the inlet tract. That is when we time the valve to close, trapping the high pressure in the cylinder. With the pressure rising faster it reached equalisation earlier, to leak back out of the cylinder. We could close the valve earlier, but the would cost us in filling the cylinder, so it would be a case of, back to work on the inlet tract, to bring its max pressure on later, and get back to 112%.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Tony,

Have you considered 3D printing? The folks here at Goddard are doing some pretty impressive work that you couldn't even begin to figure out how to do on a CNC machine. I was just talking with a young engineer here who was presenting his R&D project in which he did a miniature vacuum pump via 3D printing and actually welded the connections into the 3D piece.

Bill
I read an article where they are doing prototypes by using three lasers to weld up a 3D solid model, in a box of sintered metal. The three lasers are focused at a point at the bottom of the powder, fusing the metal as it built up the model, building it from the bottom up. Just shake it out of the box, all done.

Harvey.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I read an article where they are doing prototypes by using three lasers to weld up a 3D solid model, in a box of sintered metal. The three lasers are focused at a point at the bottom of the powder, fusing the metal as it built up the model, building it from the bottom up. Just shake it out of the box, all done.

Harvey.
Harvey,
The miniature vacuum pump I spoke of was actually done with sintered metal. The junior engineer doing the work actually did tensile tests on the 3D material to demonstrate the relatively small loss in strength versus bar stock (due to the small voids you'll get in the printing process). Just came across an article discussing using 3D printing on the moon in lieu of transporting hardware from Earth.
Definitely the wave of the future.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 PM

I had heard they were getting to do metal but didn't know it worked till now, it would be a great way to go Bill if we could find some one with a machine to do it.

Harvey, the intake and exhaust ports in the head have you changed them in the model, if so did the change increase the power at higher rpm.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I had heard they were getting to do metal but didn't know it worked till now, it would be a great way to go Bill if we could find some one with a machine to do it.
Tony there is an article in RET a few months ago on Prototypes, that covered this, both in metal and polymer.

Quote:
Harvey, the intake and exhaust ports in the head have you changed them in the model, if so did the change increase the power at higher rpm. Tony
No I haven't changed the port shape, as they are as good as you could want. The only fault is that they are too flat to the cylinder center line, a problem of the flat engine design, or they would have the inlet and exhaust manifold pointing out to the wheels.
The best we can do, is to do a very good job on the port valve throat area, to get the best flow through that area.

Harvey.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

Harvey, the intake and exhaust ports in the head have you changed them in the model, if so did the change increase the power at higher rpm.

Tony
Tony,

This has got my creative juices flowing, so I'm going to see if I can get the engineer I talked to do some design/fabrication work "off the clock". Stay tuned.
Bill

My Locker
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 AM

Have been trying to get more space cleared so I can get the dyno going, so I built a number of racks for the engine.
Tony

Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Tony,

Show off!

Now, get back to work on the dyno!

Cheers,

Bill

My Locker
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Hey does anyone know if the EG33 oil pickup would have the same problem?: http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/ind...ickupStory.htm

http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/ind...teOiPickup.htm

I'm afraid to even ask, but does anyone know whether the EJ oil pickups are close to the EG one?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I've never heard of an EG33 pickup failing. I have one sitting on the floor at home from my blown engine but can't recall if it shares the EJ's design.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I've never heard of an EG33 pickup failing. I have one sitting on the floor at home from my blown engine but can't recall if it shares the EJ's design.
Yea come to think of it, I have one that I can measure too, but not an EJ one. I wonder if Bazza or someone with EJ parts can compare them.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM

Pretty sure Bazza posted photos of the two a while ago and the EG33 was larger. He made a good point at the time about people chanign pumps but not suction on the EJ.