The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   <$100 Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43177)

Zandar 02-08-2008 01:04 AM

<$100 Mods

This was posted under "Technical Q & A," thought it would go better here. Add your cheap mods for us po' SVXers!

01. Front and Rear Swaybar Bushings LINK TO THREAD
02. Rear Swaybar End (stabilizer link) Bushings (OT) INSTRUCTIONS
03. fifteen minute / $15.00 mod (OT) INSTRUCTIONS
04. Alternator Wiring Mod (updated) UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS POST 5
05. Rear Camber Bolts
06. Transmission Filter (Summit Racing)
07. 9005 Headlight Mod (okay, so they're not OT's HIDs....) INSTRUCTIONS IN POST 15
08. Transmission Resistor Replacement (OT)
09. Filled Transmission Mount SVXRide's Pics
10. Filled "Dog Bone" Mount
11. Debadging Your Tailbar Thread Here
12. Power Mode Switch Thread
13. Stop Sunvisor Drooping for <$2 How To
14. Poor-man's Reinforced Brake Lines Thread
15. Alcyone Hood Ornament
16. Lighted Grille (arguably) Thread 1 Thread 2 Pic
17. Transmission Cooler SVXRide's Pics + Some Thread Info , Purchasing Options
18. Power Steering Cooler (for track guys)
19. Different Colour Interior Lights Here Here And Here
20. ECU Resistor "Crush" Mod How-To
21. DDM HID Lights Thread
22. Transmission Shift Kit Harvey's pics
23. Garage door deal (spoiler lip) mod. Yes, it works on the SVX too! (Links to thread with link to site with instructions)
24. Custom tailbar mod. Thread here
25. Tail light defuser removal. Thread here
26. K&N Drop-in Air Filter.
27. LAN's ECUTune TCU. Thread here

If you post, try to post a link to the mod itself and I'll be sure to add it to the list. My buddy has a Bronco and frequents their boards but they don't have anything like this; whenever he does anything to his truck for under $100, he says, "Look, I did a <$100 mod!" Poor Ford owners.

LetItSnow 02-08-2008 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandar
>$100 Mods

or <$100 Mods? ;)

svxistentialist 02-08-2008 07:11 AM

Fixed it.

Excellent thread

;):)

svxistentialist 02-08-2008 07:14 AM

01. Front and rear swaybar bushings LINK TO THREAD
02. Rear swaybar end (stabilizer link) bushings (OT) INSTRUCTIONS
03. fifteen minute / $15.00 mod (OT) INSTRUCTIONS
04. Alternator wiring mod (updated) UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS POST 5
05. Rear Camber Bolts
06. Transmission Filter (Summit Racing)
07. 9005 headlight mod (okay, so they're not OT's HIDs....) INSTRUCTIONS IN POST 15
08. Transmission Resistor Replacement (OT)
09. Filled Transmission mount
10. Filled "dog bone" mount
11. Debadging your tailbar Thread Here
12. Power Mode Switch Thread
13. Stop sunvisor drooping for <$2 How To
14. Poor-man's reinforced brake linesThread[/quote]
15. Alcyone hood ornament

It's Just Eric 02-08-2008 10:13 AM

intake resonator removal, permanent dash vents (heat comes through dash vents, not feet, prettymuch any kinnd of weight reduction

LetItSnow 02-08-2008 10:52 AM

Hood strut fix (whichever of 3 you choose)

This might wind up being broken down into categories at this rate... performance, function, aesthetics?

Zandar 02-08-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 526548)
permanent dash vents (heat comes through dash vents, not feet, prettymuch any kinnd of weight reduction

Any link for this one? My wife would love it!

Sorry for the incorrect "greater than," after 1AM my brain starts to go all mushy.

If you guys provide links to threads/how tos/lockers, I'll try to update the first post to keep it all together.

Trevor 02-08-2008 01:59 PM

Alternator Upgrade is a DOWN grade, and a bad, bad, bad.

N.B. Please read data include in other post headed ----100$ or less mods.

Manarius 02-08-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 526588)
Alternator Upgrade is a DOWN grade, and a bad, bad, bad.

N.B. Please read data include in other post headed ----100$ or less mods.

Trevor, could you explain why this is?

Trevor 02-08-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 526589)
Trevor, could you explain why this is?

I have been hauled over the coals for using excessive band width. :lol:

As instructed please read my the other post in Technical --- http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41253 (i.e. Nearly the last post in --- 100$ or less mods.) for full details. ;)

Zandar 02-13-2008 02:27 PM

Added Let it Snow's hood strut replacement. Anyone have a link to the heater vent thing?

SubaruSVXCrazy 02-25-2008 08:05 AM

How bout modding the 91-96 grille. Maby light tint. There was a thread on here but I cant find it. They said that it only looked tinted at certain angles. Or maby lighting it up.

cozykat 02-25-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandar (Post 526505)
13. Stop sunvisor drooping for <$2 How To

Anyone know where to buy the #235 Brass Insert manufactured by Hillman online? Because I've looked all over the hardware stores here and can't find the darn peice.
I've tried the other methods of fixing our visors suggested and they don't work. The internals of my visor is also slighty different that the ones shown in the "how to" pictures. Once I find a method which works for my visors, I will post pictures. I think this hillman insert might work but I can't find it to begin to try. lol

ridered777 02-25-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozykat (Post 530561)
Anyone know where to buy the #235 Brass Insert manufactured by Hillman online? Because I've looked all over the hardware stores here and can't find the darn peice.
I've tried the other methods of fixing our visors suggested and they don't work. The internals of my visor is also slighty different that the ones shown in the "how to" pictures. Once I find a method which works for my visors, I will post pictures. I think this hillman insert might work but I can't find it to begin to try. lol

I found it at County stores, a local hardware store. I could not find it online, and I looked extensively.

I also had this mod accomplish one and only thing - destroy my sunvisor. It did NOT fix the drooping, and instead it made it very dirty (alot of the work has to be done on the visor or with the visor, you have dirty hands, and you inadvertently get it dirty) and it has a huge cut in the back of it from opening it up to get at the "innards" to repair it. The internals of my visor were also slightly different, but using the same principles, I attempted to repair it. My recommendation is to just buy new visors.

Just a word of caution.

Tim 02-25-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridered777 (Post 530606)
I found it at County stores, a local hardware store. I could not find it online, and I looked extensively.

I also had this mod accomplish one and only thing - destroy my sunvisor. It did NOT fix the drooping, and instead it made it very dirty (alot of the work has to be done on the visor or with the visor, you have dirty hands, and you inadvertently get it dirty) and it has a huge cut in the back of it from opening it up to get at the "innards" to repair it. The internals of my visor were also slightly different, but using the same principles, I attempted to repair it. My recommendation is to just buy new visors.

Just a word of caution.

What about masking the visor with painters tape?