SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Got my brake line fixed & rerouted. Thanks to the guys in this thread http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ake+line+route and particularly to dannmarr for the photos.

Also just for fun:

ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:44 PM

Just a heads up to say the $68.00/pair front axles on Amazon (+ S/H) worked great, thus far. They seemed a bit short when compared to the old OEM axles but when I pushed the old CV's together they were identical. The new roll pin has a chamfered end, BTW, which goes in first, but no chamfered holes on the diff side. There is a chamfered hole on the stub axle so that should be the "down side" with the correct roll pin going in. The grooves on the new axle had the identical one hole with groove going down its middle and other hole with 2 grooves straddling the hole so it lined up perfectly first try.

The new roll pin insertion technique I used was to take a punch, insert a 3/4" piece of hose over the end and insert the roll pin..I actually had to slip a smaller diameter hose piece on the pin which I then put in the larger diameter hose on the punch. The rest was the usual..32mm axle nut after removing the dust cap, tie rod end (I didn't put the other wheel off the ground plus with the tie rod off, you get more slack/movement with the spindle, strut side of sway bar link, lower ball joint, ABS/brake line strut holders. Brakes left on.. Let the lower ball joint stud go to the front side of the spindle, turn spindle as in rt. hand turn for ease of axle removal, and reinstall. Remove roll pin from non-chamfered side. I put a dab of silicone on the new pin sides to keep out corrosion but doubt I'll have to mess with new axles for a while.

I tried putting axle first in diff side and then first in spindle side..putting the axle in the diff side went more smoothly. Could turn axle more easily to line up holes plus, if spindle side went in first, it kept popping out anyway as I maneuvered the diff. side.

Last edited by fasteract7; 09-28-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Swapped out the timing belt in the Legacy. All I can say is, the SVX is cake by comparison. Pain in the ass dealing with those DOHC pulleys, the SVX geared cams make like so easy!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 09-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Addendum...noticed the steering had that "sorta didn't want to turn" feel and checked camber/toe..Camber still at my -1.5 where as I now had a bit over 2/32" of negative toe. Quick fix and steering nice and neutral. Would suggest the new axle is not perfectly perpendicular to the spindle/hub assembly either secondary design of car or tolerances of new CV joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteract7 View Post
Just a heads up to say the $68.00/pair front axles on Amazon (+ S/H) worked great, thus far. They seemed a bit short when compared to the old OEM axles but when I pushed the old CV's together they were identical. The new roll pin has a chamfered end, BTW, which goes in first, but no chamfered holes on the diff side. There is a chamfered hole on the stub axle so that should be the "down side" with the correct roll pin going in. The grooves on the new axle had the identical one hole with groove going down its middle and other hole with 2 grooves straddling the hole so it lined up perfectly first try.

The new roll pin insertion technique I used was to take a punch, insert a 3/4" piece of hose over the end and insert the roll pin..I actually had to slip a smaller diameter hose piece on the pin which I then put in the larger diameter hose on the punch. The rest was the usual..32mm axle nut after removing the dust cap, tie rod end (I didn't put the other wheel off the ground plus with the tie rod off, you get more slack/movement with the spindle, strut side of sway bar link, lower ball joint, ABS/brake line strut holders. Brakes left on.. Let the lower ball joint stud go to the front side of the spindle, turn spindle as in rt. hand turn for ease of axle removal, and reinstall. Remove roll pin from non-chamfered side. I put a dab of silicone on the new pin sides to keep out corrosion but doubt I'll have to mess with new axles for a while.

I tried putting axle first in diff side and then first in spindle side..putting the axle in the diff side went more smoothly. Could turn axle more easily to line up holes plus, if spindle side went in first, it kept popping out anyway as I maneuvered the diff. side.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:40 PM

Changed battery as car would not start - new one cost me NZ$200 - it was approx. 20mm shorter than the old one, so ended up requiring a spacer in order that the cross brace piece could clamp correctly.

The old battery was 18 years old !!!! so lets hope the new one lasts as long....
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Had a busy day with the '01 OB 3.0. Spent a while tracking down a CEl, didn't find the problem, so I replaced all the light bulbs on the HVAC control. Then it wouldn't stay at all, spent about half an hour before finding the fuse for the ECU was blown.

Then a couple of hours after I was driving around and the exhaust dropped...

It does have that nice sound like an un muffled SVX, but I decided to fix it right away and got to spend a few hours contorting myself under the car with the MIG gun.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Took my 207 swapped WRX to a local Subaru show to showcase AwdArmy and run our vendor booth for the day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/awdarmy/ for anyone interested

Last edited by Chuckls; 09-29-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:25 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
Took my 207 swapped WRX to a local Subaru show to showcase AwdArmy and run our vendor booth for the day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/awdarmy/ for anyone interested

Glad you got to go Chuck, I really hate that I had to miss it, but Sunday Meets just don't work for me, I'm hoping they go back to a Saturday Meet next year, like every other year had been.....it's the only "Sort-of Local" to me meet
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

I actually DROVE my Yellow 5-Speed to work today...so it's wet and dirty.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1868.jpg (392.2 KB, 842 views)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-04-2015, 01:34 PM

Registered SVX

Went to a local auto cross, my first ever time, was second slowest of all cars DX
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop View Post
Went to a local auto cross, my first ever time, was second slowest of all cars DX
So what was slower lol
Old 10-04-2015, 04:21 PM

Replace front oil seal, timing belt, valve cover gasket.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
So what was slower lol
Ford tempo sedan, I only got to stay for the morning round too so ill wait for the results to be posted before I share numbers.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 PM
There's a storm coming.

bishop, I suck at autocross, but my SVX is VERY FAST! When Jerry or Elezar drive it they are freeking fast! Like 10-14 seconds faster than me. But on an open road, with real death, as a posibility, I can be very very fast!
202 cid, 3580 #s, and we SMOKE Corvettes, Porshes, Mustangs. I am ok with that!
If I had more money, for tires, etc. I would/will make it
MUCH faster!
Can you say 370hp and 2500#s?
Full cage, great brakes, my own suspension.
Yefknha!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
bishop, I suck at autocross, but my SVX is VERY FAST! When Jerry or Elezar drive it they are freeking fast! Like 10-14 seconds faster than me. But on an open road, with real death, as a posibility, I can be very very fast!
202 cid, 3580 #s, and we SMOKE Corvettes, Porshes, Mustangs. I am ok with that!
If I had more money, for tires, etc. I would/will make it
MUCH faster!
Can you say 370hp and 2500#s?
Full cage, great brakes, my own suspension.
Yefknha!
Oh dont worry, now I'm hooked and it will be going faster.