Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Cars For Sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 1996 Ebony LSi with 122000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
I just made a comment that it was missing. I did not
say I would not buy it because it was missing. Thanks for the price
Don't be so defensive. Most people don't realize how cheap some of these often missing or broken pieces are.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Hi Bill,

The Canadian Government website links to this NHTSA site: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

The second link seems to contain the info you need.

I'd be more than happy to act as an airport taxi if you need a lift!
Thanks, Chris!

Just brought up the topic with my wife this morning, so this is definitely a "work in progress". We have good Canadian friends who just moved back to Ottawa (?), thus the "buy it and drive around Canada before driving back to the States" aspect of my questions.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Speaking of questions, yet more.

1.What model is the radio?

2. Why did the driveshaft have to be worked on?

Thanks

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Sorry about the delay.

1. How's the AC? It's not R12-based, is it?

It's the same AC system as all SVX, unless canadian SVXs are different, but it wouldn't apply in this case since it's a US car.

2. Are you just the 2nd owner then? How many miles have you put on it?

I'm probably the 3rd owner. Owned it 4 years and put at most 15 000 miles on it.

3. How's the exhaust system? Still original, or have parts of it been replaced?

The exhaust is stock, in good shape, no rattles.

4. Is there a trans cooler installed?

No.

5. Do you know of a Canadian web site where I could check about what's involved in purchasing a car and then driving out of Canada with it? I'm hoping that there is some sort of temporary tags I could get.

Thanks Chris for answering that one.

Speaking of questions, yet more.

1.What model is the radio?

It's a Pyle. Nothing fancy like Pioneer or Alpine, but it does the job, plays mp3s, avis, dvds. I don't know what model it is, but it cost me like 450$ brand new a few months ago, another 250 for all four speakers

2. Why did the driveshaft have to be worked on?

The cv joint was worn out and made the whole car vibrate . It was insanely undrivable.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboIQ View Post
1. How's the AC? It's not R12-based, is it?

It's the same AC system as all SVX, unless canadian SVXs are different, but it wouldn't apply in this case since it's a US car.
A 96 would be R134
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
A 96 would be R134
^^^ was the answer I was looking for
So, how is the AC actually operating? Blowing ice cold?

Does the stereo have an iPod jack?

Any record of any of the wheel bearings having been replaced?

Thanks.

Bill

My Locker
Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Checked out the NHSTA site and it looks like I'll need a letter from Subaru confirming that the car meets all Federal requirements (I'll need the VIN for this). I'll also need to pay a 2.5% duty tax to the friendly Customs folks at the border.

Any of our Canadian SVXers know how I'd go about getting temporary tags that will allow me to drive it around Canada and then home without registering it in Canada?

Thanks.

Bill

My Locker
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

When I bought mine I picked up some temp tags for it, I just had to show proof of insurance and possibly a safety inspection (can't really remember). However, that was in Ontario; not entirely sure what the procedure would be in Quebec. Without registering it here I'm wondering if you'd have to get the temp stickers from your local DMV?

I'll put a thread up on the local Subie forum and see if anyone there can help out.

Edit: Tada! http://www.ottawasubaru.com/forum/vi...hp?f=1&t=33768

Also, a quick bit of searching indicated that when bringing a car into Canada from the US we would have to get a trip permit from a local authority. This leads me to think that you'll need a Maryland issued temporary tag to drive the car back down. I don't see driving around here with it being an issue as long as you're within the allotted time of the permit.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 09-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Chris,

Thanks so much! I'll check with the MD DMV to see what they have to say.

Bill

My Locker
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
A 96 would be R134
Well, then so it is.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
^^^ was the answer I was looking for
So, how is the AC actually operating? Blowing ice cold?

Does the stereo have an iPod jack?

Any record of any of the wheel bearings having been replaced?

Thanks.

Bill
Is it just me or is Bill kind of pushing it with his questions regarding the iPod plug and the wheel bearing? I mean we're talking about a car that has had about $2500 worth of maintenance and repair in the last year, new timing belt and components, new speakers and radio, low mileage for it's year, near impeccable paint job, and you want to know if you'll have to replace the $50 wheel rear bearing?

Are you serious?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboIQ View Post
Is it just me or is Bill kind of pushing it with his questions regarding the iPod plug and the wheel bearing? I mean we're talking about a car that has had about $2500 worth of maintenance and repair in the last year, new timing belt and components, new speakers and radio, low mileage for it's year, near impeccable paint job, and you want to know if you'll have to replace the $50 wheel rear bearing?

Are you serious?
Yes, I am.

The iPod plug question was only asked because you didn't provide the model number for the stereo. If you had, I would have looked it up myself. I'm looking at the car to become my daily driver (the very dependable Accord V6 coupe I'm currently driving going to one of my college-age kids) and need either an iPod plug or satellite radio for my commute.

Having owned various SVXi over the last almost 10 years, I'm very, very familiar with all of their quirks. While I recognize the maintenance you've had done (excellent!!) and the cost incurred, you're still running the original 4HEAT trans and apparently the original wheel bearings. Along with warped rotors, the trans and wheel bearings are probably the three biggest problem areas of the car (and don't get me started on blown head gaskets! ).

So, I hope you understand that I wouldn't be "pushing things" if I wasn't seriously considering purchasing your car.

All this said, my only two remaining questions are:

1. How miles did the car travel before you had the trans fluid changed, and was it gravity drained or flushed out?

2. Have you had the coolant checked for any evidence of combustion gases mixed into it (i.e., impending head gasket failure)? - reason for this question is that I've seen numerous EG33 head gaskets go not too far north of 100k miles and then again, numerous ones that last until upwards of 200k before they go.

Thanks for your patience.

Bill

My Locker
Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Yes, I am.

The iPod plug question was only asked because you didn't provide the model number for the stereo. If you had, I would have looked it up myself. I'm looking at the car to become my daily driver (the very dependable Accord V6 coupe I'm currently driving going to one of my college-age kids) and need either an iPod plug or satellite radio for my commute.

Having owned various SVXi over the last almost 10 years, I'm very, very familiar with all of their quirks. While I recognize the maintenance you've had done (excellent!!) and the cost incurred, you're still running the original 4HEAT trans and apparently the original wheel bearings. Along with warped rotors, the trans and wheel bearings are probably the three biggest problem areas of the car (and don't get me started on blown head gaskets! ).

So, I hope you understand that I wouldn't be "pushing things" if I wasn't seriously considering purchasing your car.

All this said, my only two remaining questions are:

1. How miles did the car travel before you had the trans fluid changed, and was it gravity drained or flushed out?

2. Have you had the coolant checked for any evidence of combustion gases mixed into it (i.e., impending head gasket failure)? - reason for this question is that I've seen numerous EG33 head gaskets go not too far north of 100k miles and then again, numerous ones that last until upwards of 200k before they go.

Thanks for your patience.

Bill
Ok Bill,

So the stereo does have Ipod connectivity.

I forgot to mention that all rotors and pads where replaced on September 20th 2010. They are still in great condition. Which reminds me though that when I replaced them, I hit the front passenger ABS gear. I got a spare one but never replaced it... need a press to remove the bearing. I just removed the ABS fuse.

The coolant was flushed when the timing belt was done, and there were no traces of oil or foam in the coolant, nor coolant fumes in the exhaust. If you are truly interested, I will take a video of the car running, film the exhaust and accelerate showing that the rpms are not slipping and that the motor runs strong. The valve covers do lightly though.

The transmission fluid was changed when I got the car, like all fluids. The recent transfer case leak however has had me renew it at a rate of one quart per month.

I didn't change the bearings because they are not noisy. If they ain't broke, I don't fix them.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Buyer backed out. The car is still for sale. At his request, I had a CO2 test done to check the head gasket integrity. No CO2 in the cooling fluid.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Registered SVX

Its Beautiful

If only canada wasnt so far away from europe....

Rinus