Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Hopefully not my last Reading but if this keeps up...

As one who quickly came to realize that Reading isn't about the cars but rather about the great people here. I came away from this years Reading simply horrified by the condition of nearly 1/2 of the cars at Reading. As the car ages it i showing that there is definately a lack of "pride of ownership" among some of the cars there. It was more like a trip to a parts car section of a car meet then anything else.

Of course there were plenty of very nice solid examples there to but the cars quickly went down hill from there. As one who enjoys the build of a project car more than buying a shiney example that you know nothing about I truely hope that these cars are mearly "works in progress" and that next year I will see a marked improvement in many of them. Otherwise, I fear that I won't stick around beyond visiting with some of the many friends I've come to know through the SVX. It is simply not enjoyable to sit by watching the rapidly declining overall condition of the average SVX. Yes I realize that values do not justify the cost of a proper restoration on a 18 year old SVX but pride of ownership should justify it provided it is a car worthy of a restoration. Remember, any restoration is a money loser for the owner. It is simply the owners desire to keep the mark alive (and usually a very understanding better half) which results in a proper restoration not finaical incentives which will likely never come.

I'm not saying any of this to judge any of the owners in attendance as I do realize that everyone is in different situations and had different priorities but rather as an observation of the rapid decline of many cars.

That said it was great to see everyone and meet some of the newer members in attendence. Lets just see what everyone can do to make next years reading a little better and little more lets say "polished".