Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM

STiLtd683's SVX build: Opinions and advice wanted

Hey everyone,

After more than a year of being down, it is time for me to rebuild my SVX. Due to other distractions, namely school, my parts knowledge has become a bit rusty. So I thought I would run my engine plans past the community. I'm not planning anything too aggressive. I'd like a reliable, CA legal EG33 with a bit more spunk than stock. I am not interested in a forced induction build at the moment. I'm taking things slow as I only want to build the block once. Please don't hesitate to chime in.

Pistons:
My bore is currently out of round, so regardless of performance gain I will need to pick up pistons. I am planning on picking up a set of CP pistons. My debate is how big. I know that a few people, such as NeedForSpeed, have talked about putting EJ25 pistons in an EG33. I wouldn't mind going this route as I have to bore and hone anyway. If anyone has any input on whether this is a feasible way to go or if I should just get slightly oversized pistons then I would love to hear it.

Rods:
I am debating between stock STi rods and Eagle rods. I can get a set of STi rods for a decent price so I am leaning that way.

Bearings:
I'm pretty much set on ACL bearings for rods and mains.

Cams:
I spoke with the guys at Delta cams and they said they have a a few EG33 profiles. One of which will provide a mild performance increase while still allowing me to pass smog. If there any other options out there please throw them out.

Gaskets and studs:
I'll be purchasing a OEM gasket set. I am also considering grabbing some Cometic headgaskets and ARP head studs. I am not sure whether or not these precautions are necessary.

Engine management:
Seems like a kit from ECUtune is one of the few options. I'm not sure how well this would work with my proposed build and I was hoping for input. I'd be willing to grab a stage 2 kit if I knew it would work. And if anyone has any information on any tuneable kits I would love to hear it.

This is as far as I've gotten. I imagine I'll need an intake and exhaust system. I'm also planning on a manual swap. But, I'll worry about these after I have the block put together.

Thanks in advance for helping.