Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

After the lack of rear legroom & trunk space in the SVX, I'm trying to go with the exact opposite of what I currently have
Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Registered SVX

Finally got around to replacing the stock rear speakers and reassembling the trim pieces back there. Saw an SVX getting onto the highway around Tacoma.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:39 PM

I figured the 3 day weekend was a good a time as any to find a replacement transmission for my SVX. Pick-N-Pull happened to have a totaled Legacy with 82,000 miles... it also helps that they've got a 50% off sale going on all weekend. Got everything from the crank pulley to the tailshaft & a rear differential for $300. Obviously being a Legacy, the engine won't work in the SVX, but it could come in handy if I ever get an Outback or something.

Anyway, we got the transmission out of the SVX today, and everything from the SVX's transmission transferred to the Legacy 4EAT... I can't wait to get this baby back together!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:43 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
I figured the 3 day weekend was a good a time as any to find a replacement transmission for my SVX. Pick-N-Pull happened to have a totaled Legacy with 82,000 miles... it also helps that they've got a 50% off sale going on all weekend. Got everything from the crank pulley to the tailshaft & a rear differential for $300. Obviously being a Legacy, the engine won't work in the SVX, but it could come in handy if I ever get an Outback or something.

Anyway, we got the transmission out of the SVX today, and everything from the SVX's transmission transferred to the Legacy 4EAT... I can't wait to get this baby back together!
Which torque converter do you plan to use?
Was it a Legacy 4.11 or a 4.44?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-25-2013, 07:06 PM

The engine is a 2.2, so I'm led to believe that it's a 4.11. I've read that one should stay with the SVX TQ unless there it was contaminated. the fluid that came out smelled a little burned, so I might go with the Legacy TQ. What is the difference between the two? Does one have a higher stall than the other?

That reminds me - can a Legacy starter work on our cars? The connections are the same, and my SVX starter is on the way out, so it would be quite convenient if I could
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 AM

So, because I never got an answer about the torque converter differences, I went ahead and used the one the 4.11 came with (mainly because seating a TQ is a pain, and this one was already in place). What I didn't know (and none of the 4 million threads covering the subject of transmission swaps ever mentioned) was that if you change the TQ, you must also change the FLEXPLATE.

So with everything underneath the car back in place, I find that the holes are off, and now the trans must come out again.

FML
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
So, because I never got an answer about the torque converter differences, I went ahead and used the one the 4.11 came with (mainly because seating a TQ is a pain, and this one was already in place). What I didn't know (and none of the 4 million threads covering the subject of transmission swaps ever mentioned) was that if you change the TQ, you must also change the FLEXPLATE.

So with everything underneath the car back in place, I find that the holes are off, and now the trans must come out again.

FML
I used the SVX TQ even though my high clutch went out and it could be contaminated. The swap one was rusty (just surface), but mainly the SVX one still worked so no reason to change it out I figured.
Too bad to hear about the flexplate not lining up.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The 4.11 TC will likely fail soon. Put the SVX TC in, instead and change the fluid out after another couple thousand miles. It'll help get more of the crap out. Also, the TCs/flexplates are interchangeable, so I'm not sure what problems you are having... Unless it's an earlier 4.11, in which case, not the best trans to use as they have much less friction discs and they don't hold up to the torque of the EG33, even if it is low mileage. And I've never used one of the early ones so I can't comment on flexplate/TC interchangeability on those.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Changed all the ignition coils.... then spent a few minutes wondering why I had a code 56 show up immediately after. Turns out I ended up disconnecting one of the hoses from the EGR system
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:

FML
I have written about my decision NOT to install an automatic 4.11 in an SVX before.
For me it has to be an SVX transmission or a 4.44.
The reason is they seem to fail.
Always go with the SVX torque converter if possible.
A 4.44 TQ is ok in a 4.44, but the SVX TQ is preferred.
Will your 4.11 last, I hope so.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The 4.11 TC will likely fail soon. Put the SVX TC in, instead and change the fluid out after another couple thousand miles. It'll help get more of the crap out. Also, the TCs/flexplates are interchangeable, so I'm not sure what problems you are having... Unless it's an earlier 4.11, in which case, not the best trans to use as they have much less friction discs and they don't hold up to the torque of the EG33, even if it is low mileage. And I've never used one of the early ones so I can't comment on flexplate/TC interchangeability on those.
I ended up pulling the transmission back out again and swapping the TQs, so now I have the SVX flexplate and TQ in the car. The donor car was a '96 Legacy LS 2.2, so I don't know if that qualifies as an "earlier" version. It's TQ bolt pattern was 1" smaller (closer together) than the SVX's.

Quote:
I have written about my decision NOT to install an automatic 4.11 in an SVX before.
For me it has to be an SVX transmission or a 4.44.
The reason is they seem to fail.
Always go with the SVX torque converter if possible.
A 4.44 TQ is ok in a 4.44, but the SVX TQ is preferred.
Will your 4.11 last, I hope so.
I have read where you said you didn't prefer the 4.11 autos, but I've also read where people have used them with no troubles (of course, I've also heard of some people with stock transmissions giving them no issues...). Being that I was pressed for time, and the only other compatible transmission in the junkyard was an Outback with 292,000 miles and no body damage, I figured the 4.11 was less of a risk. Pick-N-Pull put a 1-year warranty on the transmission, so if it fails before then, they'll replace it - that will give me plenty of time to decide whether or not I want to keep the car... if I do, the stock trans is getting a thorough rebuild for when/if the 4.11 goes
Old 05-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Battery tie down was missing, so I bought a nice new blue SPT tie down for it. Matches my cars paint too!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

New plates came in!

2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I ended up pulling the transmission back out again and swapping the TQs, so now I have the SVX flexplate and TQ in the car. The donor car was a '96 Legacy LS 2.2, so I don't know if that qualifies as an "earlier" version. It's TQ bolt pattern was 1" smaller (closer together) than the SVX's.

I have read where you said you didn't prefer the 4.11 autos, but I've also read where people have used them with no troubles (of course, I've also heard of some people with stock transmissions giving them no issues...). Being that I was pressed for time, and the only other compatible transmission in the junkyard was an Outback with 292,000 miles and no body damage, I figured the 4.11 was less of a risk. Pick-N-Pull put a 1-year warranty on the transmission, so if it fails before then, they'll replace it - that will give me plenty of time to decide whether or not I want to keep the car... if I do, the stock trans is getting a thorough rebuild for when/if the 4.11 goes

The only 4.11's that seem to last are the ones from 2.5 Legacy LSi's, they have more friction discs just like the 4.44 transmissions and are therefore, "stronger". And are the only phase 1 EJ25 that received 4.11 gearing.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
The only 4.11's that seem to last are the ones from 2.5 Legacy LSi's, they have more friction discs just like the 4.44 transmissions and are therefore, "stronger". And are the only phase 1 EJ25 that received 4.11 gearing.
Thats strange Nate, all the Liberty/Legacy 2.2 here in Aust have 4.11. and I can atest to the strength of that box, as mine, at 250klm, pulls 1/2 ton loads of gravel, no problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.