Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Re: Wheels that fit the SVX

According to calculations, this will result in more than a 3% increase in diameter and may result in braking problems (presumably with the ABS). Acceleration will be a little blunted as well, but you might see a slight economy improvement at highway speed. In addition, there may or may not be some rubbing, depending on wheel and suspension setup.

If you want a really wide tire, 245/40/17 is a closer fit, but is a slightly smaller diameter. 235/45/17 would be a good compromise. I looked into 255/40/17, but it would require an 8.5" wide rim and would almost certainly rub.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 05-01-2011, 10:45 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
Is it ok to wrap sti bbs wheel with 245/45/r17 instead of 225/45/r17? will they fit and perform well?
Why would you want to do that? 225/45 fits and works very well. You'd gain more in performance by getting better tires that are the right size than oversized ones.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny View Post
According to calculations, this will result in more than a 3% increase in diameter and may result in braking problems (presumably with the ABS). Acceleration will be a little blunted as well, but you might see a slight economy improvement at highway speed. In addition, there may or may not be some rubbing, depending on wheel and suspension setup.

If you want a really wide tire, 245/40/17 is a closer fit, but is a slightly smaller diameter. 235/45/17 would be a good compromise. I looked into 255/40/17, but it would require an 8.5" wide rim and would almost certainly rub.
This post is perfect.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Registered SVX

Ok, time to make the tire decision, I've got my rims sorted.

I'm leaning to Yokohama S-Drives.

If anyone thinks this is a bad marriage or there is a significantly better one that I should check out, speak now or forever hold your peace!

Be mindful of the fact that if you offered to give me Pirelli's I'd decline the offer
92 SVX LS-L - Teal- 254,000 KLM
04 Outback - 330,000 KLM
Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
This is so very true.
But IF they have lower gears,
ie; manual transmission or 4.44s, a taller tire is not a bad thing.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-02-2011, 03:36 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisDePosa56 View Post
I'm leaning to Yokohama S-Drives.
Excellent tires. I used them on stock rims for about a year till I got the STi rims. They worked very very well in both rain and dry, all year long in Florida. Should make a good summer tire up north. Another friend of mine uses them on his V6 Altima for several years (again, year round because we can do that in Florida) and he also likes them a lot. Good tire for the money, too. Tirerack.com had them for a good price when I bought them.

I looked for some for the STi rims when I got them, but I couldn't find any the right size. Got some Kumho Ecsta SPT (non run-flats) instead. They also work very, very well. Couldn't tell you which is better though.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-02-2011, 05:10 PM

Registered SVX

My 1992 and 1997 SVXs call for different tire sizes but unless I am mistaken the donut spares seem to be the same size.
Does this mean I can use the donut spare with new wheels for my 1997 that might be a different size. I am aware I need to have the AWD disengaged if the spare is on but was worried I would have to get another spare the same diameter as whatever new wheels I decide to buy. Can anyone enlighten me?

1997 Laguna Pearl LSi 39 000 mi 62 000 km

1992 Claret LS-L Sold 105 000 mi 169 000 km

1988 XT6 Written Off 111 000 mi 180 000 km
Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSVX View Post
My 1992 and 1997 SVXs call for different tire sizes but unless I am mistaken the donut spares seem to be the same size.
Does this mean I can use the donut spare with new wheels for my 1997 that might be a different size. I am aware I need to have the AWD disengaged if the spare is on but was worried I would have to get another spare the same diameter as whatever new wheels I decide to buy. Can anyone enlighten me?
Dave, what's important as I expect you know is to have the rolling radius the same for all 4 wheels under normal driving conditions. Fitting the donut after a puncture does not qualify as normal driving conditions.

That is why the owner's manual recommends fixing the puncture immediately and refitting the proper wheel. Plus it also dictates you should not travel over a certain speed, maybe 80 kph if memory serves. It is best to consider the donut as a get-you-home device, nothing more.

Don't forget that it is not possible to disengage the AWD on the VTD equipped SVXes such as UK ones and JDM ones. So the design engineers accept a certain amount of mismatch tolerance with the spare wheel donut. They just don't expect people to keep driving on them at speed for too many kilometres.

So the answer to your question I think is that the donut is OK and only OK as a substitute and will work for short periods, low speeds, with both sizes of wheel. Speaking personally though, if I take my car to the UK or to the continent on a long run I fire out the donut and bring a full sized wheel just in case of a puncture that I can't attend to without doing big miles.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Dave, what's important as I expect you know is to have the rolling radius the same for all 4 wheels under normal driving conditions. Fitting the donut after a puncture does not qualify as normal driving conditions.

That is why the owner's manual recommends fixing the puncture immediately and refitting the proper wheel. Plus it also dictates you should not travel over a certain speed, maybe 80 kph if memory serves. It is best to consider the donut as a get-you-home device, nothing more.

Don't forget that it is not possible to disengage the AWD on the VTD equipped SVXes such as UK ones and JDM ones. So the design engineers accept a certain amount of mismatch tolerance with the spare wheel donut. They just don't expect people to keep driving on them at speed for too many kilometres.

So the answer to your question I think is that the donut is OK and only OK as a substitute and will work for short periods, low speeds, with both sizes of wheel. Speaking personally though, if I take my car to the UK or to the continent on a long run I fire out the donut and bring a full sized wheel just in case of a puncture that I can't attend to without doing big miles.

Joe
What Joe said

Last year, I attended the Nostalgic Japanese Car Show. After a couple hours checking out the old Japanese iron, I headed to the parking lot. Drat, the rear driver tire was flat, picked up a nail in the lot. So, out came the spare and the jack. The jack went under the FRONT driver, the spare was installed there. Then, I took the good front tire to the rear, and replaced the flat, which I tossed in the car.

The rear diff is viscous limited slip, and the VLSD does not like a tire mismatch. The diff will get hot, as the diff senses a slip on the spare tire side. The front diff is open, so, that mismatch is not as relevant.

Whether US center diff, or the UK/JDM diff that drives 65% to the rear, I like to keep the rear tires matched, and place the spare donut on the front, even if it means changing two tires. I drove 50 miles to service the tire, without any problem, other than reduced speed on the journey.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the help. I did hear somewhere about always putting the spare on the front, perhaps it is in the manual. Good reminder anyway.

1997 Laguna Pearl LSi 39 000 mi 62 000 km

1992 Claret LS-L Sold 105 000 mi 169 000 km

1988 XT6 Written Off 111 000 mi 180 000 km
Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 PM
At home in the flatland

Registered SVX

Brand of wheel- Koing
Name of wheel- Feather
Price-$130 per wheel (around $950 for wheels and tires)
Weight-16.8lb.
Size-17x7.5
Offset-45
Who sells the wheel- discount tire direct
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?v=006494|1992&pc=46332&wd=17&rw =7.5

Brand of tire- Hankook
Type- Ventus V12 Evo K110
Size- 225/45R-17XL 94Y VSB
Price- $110
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?v=006494|1992&pc=11193&ar=45&wd= 17&rd=17&rw=7.5&cs=225
Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny

Those are a pretty nice wheel; nice and light, not too expensive, and looks good on your car.

Now you just need to get rid of that ugly gap in the fender
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.

1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!

1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 PM
At home in the flatland

Registered SVX

Quote:
Those are a pretty nice wheel; nice and light, not too expensive, and looks good on your car.

Now you just need to get rid of that ugly gap in the fender
Funny you might say that, a friend of mine said the same thing when he saw it on the car. I'm not trying to derail the thread, but how would one go about this?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Well, I got a set of Ground Control coilovers and Koni shocks inserted into reconditioned SVX strut housings by a fellow on here, but he no longer posts here, I believe (his name is Mychailo), and who incidentally still owes me 300$ for the cores I sent him, but I digress. That is one, fairly common option.

Another that I discovered much more recently, and sounds much better, actually is this. Having worked in a car shop for several years, it doesn't look too hard at all, and the results seem promising. If what he says in the early part of the post is actually feasible, this would allow you to use STi brakes with some additional work. That's very exciting.

The milder, less performance oriented (but muuuuuuuuuuuuch easier) route would be a simple set of lowering springs from this fella. This is fine if you just want to cruise around on 35-pound 18" bling-blings, but is obviously not for serious performance. Even if you do go this route, I would still suggest replacing your stock struts, which are no doubt sacked by now (our cars are nearly 20 years old - let's be realistic).

Last edited by Nemesis Destiny; 05-16-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 PM
At home in the flatland

Registered SVX

Has anyone ever fitted white wall tires to an svx?