Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Left front has developed a rasping sound

Before you start: I haven't had time to test anything, it's pitch dark most of the day (up north) and since it's AWD it's not just jack up the front.. So here's the symptoms I have gathered so far:

A rythmic sound from the front left wheel or suspension. Noticed it a few days ago. From within the coupe it sounds like throbbing. Beats Per Minute increase and decrease with speed. The sound possibly occurs once per revolution but i have no visual confirmation of this.

It's not easy sticking your head out the SVX window but I have done it, driving with a wall on my left side in order to pick up any reflection. It sounds like rasping or creaking.. perhaps like an old bed when you do the good old in and out. The latter association to spring sound is not reassuring.

I can of course try to jack up the car, take the wheel off and inspect stuff but light is not abundant. And what would I be looking for? A buddy has a theory on the caliper cylinders or skewed brake pads.

Any idea?

Edit: Belongs in the technical Q & A, sorry.
I'm ready to f...

Last edited by jetboy; 10-15-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Left front has developed a rasping sound

Is the inside of your tire cupped? Feels like a wave pattern on the inside sidewall when you run your hand over it?

My worn shock and mounts and low tire pressure and hard driving = cupped inside wheel..
thump thump thump thump increasing with speed..

Maybe Wheel bearing?

Something to tide you over till the experts chime in.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

I'm going to take the wheel off and check. The sound does have rubbery character to it. I can always feel around but no harm in jacking up the car and check tomorrow.

Thanks so far.
I'm ready to f...
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Does it sound like a baseball card hitting a bicycle wheel?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Yes, a bit rasping. I haven't had a bicycle for 15 years or ever owned a baseball card but yes, I wouldn't shake my head over that description.
I'm ready to f...
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Registered SVX

This help?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

First of all, thanks for the assistance and thanks to everyone who bother to help us mechanically challenged.

I just had an awful experience.

Second, my rear bearings were so bad this summer I had them and and the hubs replaced. The "flopping", rasping sound was not anything like the majestic drone of the bearings.

Third, I jacked up the car using the bundled jack. To my small surprise, the nuts were not really tight at all. I also think they're the wrong kind, not flange. I took the wheel off, inspected it and everything in the wheel well. Nothing seemed wrong. I went around the car to see if I could see anything on the other and then the car fell down!

Admittedly, the problem was most likely me forgetting to set the hand brake........... trusting the transmission in "P".

I was totally heartbroken, the jack had flipped with the car coming down over it, essentially ramming the support plate into the body. I was certain it had gone into the structure.

The rescue car came with a pneumatically driven pillow, we got the car up, the jack away and the wheel back on. The brakes seemed unharmed. Everything seemed unharmed. The rescure guy was pretty certain the support plate had not rammed the structure (it did not go into the jack piont, more towards the front wheel. The plastic broke but everythig seems in place.

The sound is gone, too. Maybe it was something that was corrected with the shock, maybe it was just the wheel coming a bit loose and needed tightening. I've tightened the three others and will of course tighten this one once I've done some klicks.

So.... by pure chance, no injury, life intact. No sound as of my small test drive just now. Broken plastic.
I'm ready to f...
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Wow! I'm glad you weren't hurt. That's a scary way to learn the lesson of blocking the wheels and using jack stands, but fortunately no injuries and no damage.

Edit: Were you using the OEM SVX jack? There are several members here who don't trust that thing in the least and carry a small aluminium floor jack around with them.

Also, with regards to your noise: If the wheel was loose it probably created that sound. I had one work itself loose after I installed my snow tires (despite hand torquing to spec) and it made a rhythmic thudding noise while driving. Recheck the tightness after a couple days and if the noise is gone you should be good to go!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 10-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:42 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yea the jack that came with the SVX is terrible. I bent mine pretty bad the first time I used it. Don't trust that thing. (That should probably be one of the first things we tell new forum members actually).

Glad you are OK, and it's just a learning moment.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Thanks, yes. I really am glad I'm OK and a bit happier that the car seems just fine

Learning moment, indeed. Buying a proper "pad jack" and stands, thank you very much
I'm ready to f...
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Mine came out on me too. The tire came down and pinned my foot. I had to reposition the jack and lift it again to get my foot out. Lucky the tire was still on. I won't trust any jack alone anymore. Glad you are ok.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007