Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Nate - check the PM I sent you.

thanks
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I replaced my rear lateral arm pillow bushing. What a pita!

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Headed to the junkyard today, one near me just got a 92 SVX in yesterday, headed there to take anything I can to keep my 94 alive

EDIT: Found a button to replace my missing one for the center console lid, and found a "Subaru H6" engine cover to replace my cracked one. $6 all well spent

Last edited by reberto; 04-09-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM

SVX_MY_BABY said he wanted a full report on my car's first road legal outing, so here it is!

Drove to the inspection station, everything checked out (as expected), and then I went home to clean the pollen off the windows!

Being that I intend for this to eventually take over as my daily driver, I figured a great starting route would be to where I work in Newport News (about 37 miles away, with various road types). After cleaning all the glass, I headed out that way with no issues. Once there, I stopped by the Autozone I used to work at a few years ago to show the car off to my old boss who wanted to see it when I got it running. Trouble was, he was off today; sooooo I took a different route back to Suffolk going through one of our infamous bridge tunnels, intentionally overshooting my house to take a few twisty (-ish) back roads near Franklin. After that, I headed home to check the car over. Not a bad drive all in all.

A few observations:
I've read several times just how smooth and torque-y the engine is and how quiet the interior is for a car built in '92, but it still surprised me when I felt like I was going around 60, and in reality I was doing much faster. I guess I'm just so used to my Trooper's harshness (and it's unwillingness to go much past 70) that it really caught me off guard. Oh yeah, I also flipped on the A/C just for kicks, and it actually works! It was a nice enough day that I didn't need it, but it's nice to know that it works when I inevitably will.
Now for the not so good:
I REALLY need to fix the transmission issue! Skipping 2nd gear totally screws with everything, and I have yet to find a way to accelerate from a stop smoothly. Not sure if the differential is going or what, but give it too much throttle from a stop and is shakes violently - but once you're up to speed it won't do it again until you come to a stop. Also, the aforementioned speed issue - definitely gotta put the cruise control up higher on the list of "things to fix" Other than that, it was a successful drive!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Purchased a new exhaust for the wagon
Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I drove mine (with brakes and fully aligned steering wheel)
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Started to get an idea of how big a restoration project I'm looking at...

It's actually not as bad as I thought. The front fender is totally FUBAR, but the chassis is in perfect condition. The bolts holding the fender on released like they were new. The rear is in similar condition, ruined outer panel but very solid looking underneath. Even the skin of the rear quarter is mainly surface rust, jabbing it doesn't poke a hole. Fortunately I have brand new fenders and quarter panels ready for it.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Registered SVX

That looks waaaaaay too familiar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Started to get an idea of how big a restoration project I'm looking at...

It's actually not as bad as I thought. The front fender is totally FUBAR, but the chassis is in perfect condition. The bolts holding the fender on released like they were new. The rear is in similar condition, ruined outer panel but very solid looking underneath. Even the skin of the rear quarter is mainly surface rust, jabbing it doesn't poke a hole. Fortunately I have brand new fenders and quarter panels ready for it.

SOLD - 1992 LSL 180K #8588 with svxfiles' all aluminum radiator; Wolf's head synthetic ATF in tranny and power steering; lighted power mode switch; Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil with Bosch 72158 filter; ACDelco A975C air filter; Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Optima BlueTop battery
2002 F550 74K
SOLD - 2000 F450 215K
1987 BMW 535i 209K
1999 Yamaha SRX 700
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 AM

A few weeks ago I bought a New Zealand new, 1992 SVX at an auction in another city based solely on the photos.
It was delivered to my mechanic yesterday to check and I drove it home today.

Very happy with my buy.
NZ new.
Sunroof
ABS
Cruise control
Leather seats

Transmission works fine.
No faults that I can find.

Body could do with a touch up.

I'm now faced with the choice of :
a) keep it as is & store it for 5 years until the value climbs
b) steal the NZ new parts of it (eg glass headlights & 260 speedo) for my JDM car and then sell the NZ new car with some JDM parts
c) tidy it up and sell it as a clean, straight, genuine NZ new car

(for the foreigners here, NZ new means it was sold new in NZ. That's a significant bonus here as most of our Japanese car fleet was imported used from Japan and so has no service history, funny stickers in Japanese, 180 km/hr speedo and sometimes they go "bong, bong, bong" at stupid times (such as 105 km/hr or in reverse gear)

Anyway, it's parked in my garage, looking a bit scruffy while it pours with (much needed) rain outside.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Time Travelling Robot

installed a kicker comp 12" subwoofer and a 1100watt amp, two memphis power reference 6x9s and a new kenwood 720w 4channel amp... wommmmmmppppp

the 12" was a challenge to fit... basically i took the trunk wood out and since i have no spare already with my rx8 wheels... i got it in that space. its biiig.
i also took out the liner on the trunk side of the rear deck because it rattled like crazy.
its looooud. its awweeeessssooommmeeeee! lol

about to upgrade the head unit to pioneer avh 3200 bt..... touchscreen, double din, no frills but tons of EQ options, plus SD card input
bass inyo face!

i spend a lot of time driving. i love high fidelity and lots of bass. it makes me happy every time i get into my car. then i drive it and smile even more.
life is good
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Washed, waxed, cleaned brake dust from rims, cleaned windows, cleaned dash, cleaned escaine, cleaned leather seats, conditioned leather seats, conditioned all of the door seals, vacuumed carpeting, replaced windshield wipers. I am freakin exhausted!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 04-19-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 PM

Smile Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Shane,
Bought another one wow you have an understanding family.....

I am still looking for a temp borrow of aircon controller so i can reverse eng the schematic in order to see what capacitors i need to buy to get mine going
correctly....any help much appreciated.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:40 AM

Registered SVX

I hooked up a spare boost/vacuum gauge to the iris control circuit - to the reservoir feed - between the tank and the check valve. The rest is too well tucked under the manifold, no way to access....

It all works as supposed :-). After standing still overnight there was a good vacuum when I pulled the hose off the tank.

The check valve holds the vacuum good - even under boost. Max value was around -0,85bar under deceleration.

You can see the iris close at 2500 rpm - it consumes vacuum so that the level drops by app 0,2-0,3bar a pop. You can also feel the strong torque hike between 2500 and 3500 rpm (turbo spools way below this). Just like an old skool engine coming "on cam" :-). Full throttle, part throttle - it feels very good and strong.

At around 4250 the iris opens but this does not consume the vacuum because the solenoid only vents the actuator. By manually shifting up so that the revs go below 4250 under WOT I could consume it so that the vacuum decreased to app 0,3 bar. Then I ran out of space and the speeds were too high.

Under WOT from stand still vacuum is used only once - when the revs increase to 2500 rpm in first gear. After the first upshift the iris is open all the time - the revs never go below 4250 rpm under WOT in automatic tranny mode.

I left the gauge hooked up to see if it leaks at all - seems good after an hour.

Tapani
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Subaru Parts Guy

Registered SVX

Fitting the manual pedal box.

Having decided not to remove the steering column or dash. Or the seat.

1994 Legacy GT
2001 Forester
2002 Impreza WRX
2005 Impreza WRX STI

Need parts?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subachouli View Post
Fitting the manual pedal box.

Having decided not to remove the steering column or dash. Or the seat.

I have done that three times...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album