Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
The car idles a bit rough now, kinda rhythmically bouncing from 750 -500 rpms.
Mine does that too (stage 2) until the fuel trim parameters have been adapted enough. It's rather rich to start with. This happens only when the AC compressor is not on, i.e. on the "low" idle speed. When the compressor runs the idle is raised a little and it's fine from the very start.

Same thing everytime the battery has been disconnected. Takes about one days commuting to stop

Tapani
Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Mine does that too (stage 2) until the fuel trim parameters have been adapted enough. It's rather rich to start with. This happens only when the AC compressor is not on, i.e. on the "low" idle speed. When the compressor runs the idle is raised a little and it's fine from the very start.

Same thing everytime the battery has been disconnected. Takes about one days commuting to stop

Tapani
Good info, I appreciate it, I was worried I jacked something up by moving the MAF, or some other unforeseen variable. When I turn my A/C it does stop doing it, but I am sorta an A/C nazi and try to leave it off as much as I can. I guess it's just my personal preference though. Onto the pics

I ran the vacuum line from the TB to the BOV and then I uninstalled the pipe because when I had it running there was enough vacuum to keep the BOV open at idle, so this pic was of me half installing it to make the adjustment necessary to keep the BOV closed at idle, actually it opens about a 16th-or 32nd of an inch at idle, closes once the throttle is opened slightly and it shouldn't take much pressure to open it.

at idle the car produces around 22 psi of vacuum pressure, so under max boost conditions there will be 8 psi of positive pressure moving across it, I can get the car to peak around 25psi of vacuum by leaving the shifter in 3 and letting off the throttle around 45mph, this would have caused the BOV to partially open. My goal is to set it just past that threshold. Under boosted driving conditions it should take about 0.5psi of positive pressure in the piping, combined with 20psi vacuum pressure to open the BOV.

So for instance I am driving to savannah, and the car is building say 5 psi of boost and I let off the throttle abruptly, at that moment the intake manifold will create 20 something psi of vacuum pressure in it, and the ductwork coming from the turbo would still have say 4psi of positive pressure in it between the turbo and the TB, the BOV should open almost effortlessly to bleed off that remaining 4 psi, while the ductwork should experience minimal pressure spike conditions. As I drive the car around a bit I may need to tighten the spring a tad, because I don't want it to open under normal driving vacuum conditions because it will let the engine take in UNFILTERED AIR and that is certainly a NO GO. Also the BOV came with a 10psi and a 5psi spring installed, and I removed the 5psi. But as seen in the photo my adjustment is nearly maxxed out. I will take it down again and reinstall the 5psi spring in conjunction with the 10pounder to give myself some more leeway on the adjustment.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 05-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 AM

sorry its been a minute since i been online, but my in laws just left to go back home to indiana so i was dealing with that . Anyways a quick update I have some pics of the waste gate installed. I will try to post up an update this weekend with some general driving experiences thus far.

A couple wastegate pics.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Lookin good man. I'm really curious how it looks from the trunk side. Actually, to be honest, I really just want to see more pics of all of it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Lookin good man. I'm really curious how it looks from the trunk side. Actually, to be honest, I really just want to see more pics of all of it.
I will get some more pics of the whole thing done up. The waste gate pipe is mounted and runs along the tail pipe coming off the turbo so it's kinda stealthy in there. Standing in the center of the trunk looking in you can't even see it, but looking into the trunk from the passenger side you can see it clearly. Any ways onto some of my experiences thus far with this set up.

1. The car doesn't build any sorta positive pressure until around 35-3700 rpms, If I put the shifter into 2, then it seems to have boost more available around 33-3500 rpms. The auto certainly works against me in this, at least in daily driving type situations.

2. I am sure that other members with turbos will agree with this observation. even tho the car is "LAGGY" according to the boost gauge, it isn't really laggy from a driving standpoint. What I mean is with stock internals the car has the factory power available to it all the time, and the turbo simply supplements the engine power. Say something that is turbo charged from the factory, has lower compression and the engine relies HEAVILY on the turbo to produce your power, where as this set up, the high compression doesn't "need" the turbo's help to get the car moving and certainly doesn't need the turbo for daily town/city driving. So even tho it's a bit slow getting the boost, the car still performs well while your waiting.

3. I stated earlier that once the turbo was mounted, the car idling and warmed up the turbo didn't even spin at all. if you were to rev it up from idling to about 1000rpms it would start spinning. An update to that is now that the intake plumbing is completed, the turbo spins very well at idle, where as before exhaust pressure at idle wasn't enough to spin it, but now the combination of idling exhaust and the vacuum moving across the impeller helps to "vacuum spool" the turbo a little bit. so this vacuum spool effect and the exhaust pressure effect spins it nicely. Now at the end of my commute to or from work, I park the car, and let it idle for a few seconds, when I turn the key off you can hear the turbo spin down to a stop (takes about 1 second after turning off the key)

4. Also having the ginormous hole in my trunk and with all this rain we have been getting around here you would think that the turbo would be wet all the time, but in reality it stays dry even while driving through some fairly deep puddles. Also there was a big puddle I hit at about 30, water did splash up a bit, it hit the hot exhaust pipe and steamed off, but didn't get the turbo wet, or even splash into the trunk area of the car. The exhaust pipe itself acts as a shield for the turbo, and the turbo is high enough in the trunk well that it's pretty much protected from nearly everything that would be encountered in "normal driving" I am sure in some extreme driving like rally cross or whatever you may have to make a shield or something, but I am not gonna be needing anything like.

just an update, the temp sending unit for my water temp gauge took a dump, so now in the mornings when i start the car, the oil temps says 70-80 degrees, the water temp says 290 I will get another sending unit on order, and in the mean time I think I will swap them out and use the bad one for the oil since it has never gotten above 125 anyway, but water ranges from 70- 170.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM

I haven't forgotten about you guys, but when it rains it pours. The SVX doesn't want to idle at all once it's warmed up, if you are driving it down the road it seems to run fine, but when you ride the brake to a stop it stalls out. I want to take out the IAC and try to clean it and see what that does.

To make matters worse my CV axle in the baja started clicking on the way to tennessee, and now its' bad enough that it clicks when your going strait, so I need to replace the axle in that.

My wife's dad is in the hospital but he is improving so that's good, but it's been quite stressful around here. I will try to take a look at the SVX this weekend, I haven't even started it up in a week and a half, and look forward to doing an axle swap as well, I will try to take some pics of the SVX and post them up.

I think I am heading in the right direction with the IAC, but if anyone knows anything else that will help, I am all ears.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
sorry its been a minute since i been online, but my in laws just left to go back home to indiana so i was dealing with that .

What part?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Maybe you will just need to open the IACV up a bit to compensate for the long intake tract. Or something. I will think and see if I come up with any ideas for you. What RPMs does it idle at, cold and warm, and with the A/C on cold and warm?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM

Most recently the car wasn't idling at all once warmed up, I started poking around and realized my intake piping was disconnected just behind the MAF. I reconnected the piping and it idles all day now. Someone had stated earlier about the air temp moving across the MAF, if it was too hot it wouldn't cool the wire inside down and give false readings. This is exactly what I think was happening, because once warmed up, it was pulling air through the MAF still, but it was hot, it was pulling air from between the body, passenger side of the trans, and on top of the exhaust. Now that the piping is fixed, there is a new issue.

Once upon a time when I was in germany, I had a yamaha 600 sport bike, and riding it around on post all the time really put a hurtin on it, I mean going 30mph, and giving it enough throttle to maintain that it would get into a jerky rhythm where it would "lunge" and then miss fire for a half second, then repeat. I took it on the autobahn and cruised about 10 miles goin about 90mph and when I returned to post that thing ran like a champ, and then about 2-3 weeks later it would act up again and I would repeat and it was good. I told you that story to tell you this one, I was thinking it may be something similar with the SVX, I drive it around all day at 30 mph and it gets all loaded up, I took it to the interstate today and drove about 13-14 miles at 75-80mph but it made now difference in how it acts.

The car is misfiring and the only variable seems to be throttle position, based on RPM's. it seems anything about 2300 rpms it want to run fine, no issues, but anything below that it misses real bad until you give it enough throttle to get the rpms above 2300 ish and of course by then your accelerating from a dead stop much faster than necessary.

I am thinking maybe throttle position? I say that because me and a friend just fixed a very similar issue on his 89 mustang 5.0 not real sure but if anyone has any ideas I am all ears.

I also took some photos but my phone is being gay and acting like there aren't there, but once it comes up I will post them to photobucket and add them here.

P.S. my wife and kids went back up to Lafayette Indiana because her dad's health is deteriorating fairly rapidly, so those of you that pray, we would appreciate any words/thoughts.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Another update, I just went out and moved my car to let another car out, it idles all day with the A/C off. Once turned on it seems to make it much worse, and then it stalls out with the load of compressor. It also misses as though it is trying to rev up a bit to compensate for the extra load, but the fact that it's misses makes it stall out. I gave it a little gas, and held it, it missed for about a solid 5 seconds, then it revved up to about 1500 and and ran fine, once i let off the throttle it started missin again and then stalled.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Maybe a TPS issue?
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM

I had the same issue. It took quite a few bucks and replacement parts to find out it was something simple. In my case, a ignition coil was grounding out to the head at the lower rpms. It would miss and occasionally sputter unless I punched the throttle. More so under a light load. But it would happen at random times. Subaru dealership couldn't figure it out, nor could a subaru specialty shop who tore it apart and even tested the coils. I found out by pulling the coils, inserting a plug and checking for spark. One coil shocked the bejeezus out of me as it found that my hand made a better ground source than the plug and engine block. Once I replaced the coil that was grounding out, all was fixed.

you may want to give that a check.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:20 AM

I appreciate all the responses, and I will start troubleshooting it this weekend. My wife and kids are back home now, but just long enough to get a bigger vehicle. they are going back up there early tomorrow morning, and once they leave I will be without a car until i get this thing figured out. I traded in the baja for an 05 F250 super duty quad cab. so now she has more room like she wanted, and I have a diesel like I wanted.

Anyone know right off hand how to test/adjust the TPS, I also wanna clean the IACV, and will definitely look into the coils as stated by SMC. I am home for lunch now but going back to work, thanks again for the help.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Been off the net for quite some time. Anyways onto the most current plans. I was gonna end up selling the SVX to get rid of it as I am now about 2 months from heading out to Arizona.

The latest is that I now have a friend of mine coming here to Georgia and driving one of my two vehicles (U-haul with SVX on trailer, or F-250 hauling my boat) to Az. and my neighbor has given me a slew of RX-7 parts, he gave me a running 12a rotary engine, trans, alternator, water pump, and rear end.

A few weeks ago I took his rx-7 to miami Fl. to get it tuned and dyno'd, and he hit 446 HP, but his stage 4 clutch disk started slipping, so it is currently tuned down to 414 HP, (Amazing for a 1.3L engine)

I now plan on taking the SVX to Arizona, since it will NEVER rust out there, and start on my own turbo rotary engine build. Anyways I will be off the net again packing my house up, and clearing out of the army, but once I get to Arizona and get settled in, I will definitely start another thread in the turbo section, but it will be a rotary build.

THX for the help, support, and suggestions thus far.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 10-04-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Quote:
...but once I get to Arizona and get settled in, I will definitely start another thread in the turbo section, but it will be a rotary build.

THX for the help, support, and suggestions thus far.

Where in AZ?

-Mike O