Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

I cant find that stock rom, I am unsure if your still needing it but I have to put on hold looking for it for now. Let me know if you may still need it I can look again later.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM

@92SVX I appreciate the offer, but for now I will carry on with swapping the engine again, and with any luck it will cure my issues, so for now I will not be needing the ecu. thank you again for the offer.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
Ok so just some general babble to promote a bit of discussion here.

I am assuming the cam angle sensor is just for the tachometer.

The crank sprocket has two sets of teeth on it, the first set is 6 teeth and I am assuming it has to do with either spark, or injector pulse. The second set of teeth is 12 teeth arranged evenly around the pulley. I did a little division (with the help of my calculator on my cell phone) and have come up with 30 degrees. every 30 degrees of rotation one of the teeth on the pulley pass under the sensor. does anyone know what those teeth are for? I am thinking 12 teeth, divided by 6 cylinders gives me two. each cylinder will hit TDC twice per cycle, once on the compression, and once on exhaust. maybe these teeth tell the ECU when it is hitting TDC and the first set of teeth tell it when to inject the fuel, or when the spark the plugs?

Anyways just trying to get a bit of info or someone else's speculation on the matter.

This project hasn't been put on hold but has certainly lost momentum. I will tinker around with the exhaust work, and oil and water systems for the turbo a bit this weekend. Next weekend I will hit the engine swap hard since I will have four days to devote to it and I am working it alone. Hopefully then there will be a running SVX that I can start driving again. Thx for the info thus far, and I am sure I will lean on you guys for more info as the project (slowly) moves to completion.
The three timing sensors work to together. The No.1 has the 12 teeth, that sends a pulse every 30*. This is used to time all the operations such as spark and fuel injection, and drive the taco.

The No.2 has, three groups of teeth. 1 tooth, 2 teeth, and 3 teeth on it to tell the ECU which pair of pistons are at TDC, 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, or 5 and 6.

The Cam sensor, on the side of the engine tells the ECU which one of those pairs, 1 or 2, 3 or 4, 5 or 6, is on compression and ready to fire.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 PM

+1 to harvey.

Thanks, makes sense. As I always tell my soldiers anyone can replace parts, but if you can understand how a system or component works, then it makes you better at your job, or better at troubleshooting.

anyways I appreciate the response.

The freakin power adapter on my MAC took a dump, so now I am restricted to this junkity computer that once unplugged will last 30 minutes tops. If it's not one thing it's another. So this week I wil do a small bit of tinkering on the SVX but the main focus is to get my neighbor guys car back to him. Then come next weekend I will have 4 and a half days I can devote to the SVX. I hope to get the engine swapped over and running again in 2 days. then I will have 2 days to swap out the oil fitting and pump for the turbo oil system, get the cooling system mounted and pumbed, and get the wastegate mounted. Of course if the weather wi permit such eager planning. We will see

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 03-28-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The three timing sensors work to together. The No.1 has the 12 teeth, that sends a pulse every 30*. This is used to time all the operations such as spark and fuel injection, and drive the taco.

The No.2 has, three groups of teeth. 1 tooth, 2 teeth, and 3 teeth on it to tell the ECU which pair of pistons are at TDC, 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, or 5 and 6.

The Cam sensor, on the side of the engine tells the ECU which one of those pairs, 1 or 2, 3 or 4, 5 or 6, is on compression and ready to fire.

Harvey.
What?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

.Well maybe Tachometer.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 PM

ok so for an update, I got my MAC charger in so I am good on that now.

I also managed to get the engine pulled out of the car and most of the parts swapped over to the original engine. I need to install the intake manifold, double check a few things, drop the engine into the car, button it all up and then install the throttle body after the torque converter bolts. I had an incident today working on the engine, apparently the pin wasn't in on the cherry picker and when lowering it down to get it out the way( the engine was already safely on the floor), it slid forward and hit the engine that was on the ground, and cut through BOTH crank sensor wires on the 92 engine, but those wires on the 94 intake harness I need that is original to the car. DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR CERTAIN IF THE INTAKE HARNESS WITH THE WHITE CLIPS, THE ONE FOR THE SENSORS AND ETC. NEEDS TO BE SWAPPED OVER????

From the pics I posted of the differences in the intake harnesses (one has the two white plugs and the other has the the two gray plugs)was that the INJECTOR harness (gray plugs) is what is different. I am not sure if the other one with the WHITE PLUGS is different between 92's and 94's.

I would assume that harness is the same, but my assumptions thus far have proven to be very costly in terms of time spent on this build so far. In theory this should have been completed weeks ago. So if anyone knows for sure whether I can use the 92 intake harness with the white plugs (not the injector harness) on a 94 car, ECU, and engine please say so. I will post pics of everything tomorrow, and hopefully have it running so I can continue with the turbo side of the build.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
ok so for an update, I got my MAC charger in so I am good on that now.

I also managed to get the engine pulled out of the car and most of the parts swapped over to the original engine. I need to install the intake manifold, double check a few things, drop the engine into the car, button it all up and then install the throttle body after the torque converter bolts. I had an incident today working on the engine, apparently the pin wasn't in on the cherry picker and when lowering it down to get it out the way( the engine was already safely on the floor), it slid forward and hit the engine that was on the ground, and cut through BOTH crank sensor wires on the 92 engine, but those wires on the 94 intake harness I need that is original to the car. DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR CERTAIN IF THE INTAKE HARNESS WITH THE WHITE CLIPS, THE ONE FOR THE SENSORS AND ETC. NEEDS TO BE SWAPPED OVER????

From the pics I posted of the differences in the intake harnesses (one has the two white plugs and the other has the the two gray plugs)was that the INJECTOR harness (gray plugs) is what is different. I am not sure if the other one with the WHITE PLUGS is different between 92's and 94's.

I would assume that harness is the same, but my assumptions thus far have proven to be very costly in terms of time spent on this build so far. In theory this should have been completed weeks ago. So if anyone knows for sure whether I can use the 92 intake harness with the white plugs (not the injector harness) on a 94 car, ECU, and engine please say so. I will post pics of everything tomorrow, and hopefully have it running so I can continue with the turbo side of the build.
I already mentioned, I have a 92 engine in my 94, which did not require me to swap anything electrical over. Not the injector harness, or anything else. I don't know, I guess yours could be different for some reason (California spec car or something??), but try looking to see any differences. I bet you won't find any.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're in a better position than anyone else to figure out if they're interchangeable or not, since the two engines are right in front of you.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 04-06-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I already mentioned, I have a 92 engine in my 94, which did not require me to swap anything electrical over. Not the injector harness, or anything else. I don't know, I guess yours could be different for some reason (California spec car or something??), but try looking to see any differences.
I thought you had swapped your intake onto the 92 engine? From what I have seen is a difference in the injector harness between the 92 and 94, and also somebody stated on here that the 94 intake has a temp sensor for the EGR which the 92 does not, and it will throw a code if it's not plugged in. From what i can see it does appear to be the same. Normally I would not be afraid to cut the wire and splice it back together, but once it had gotten chopped it exposed the wire and it appears to be a shielded wire, and I am not a big fan of splicing shield wire if I don't have to. anyways, on with the build and pics to come throughout the day. I appreciate the suggestions and what not.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I thought you had swapped your intake onto the 92 engine? From what I have seen is a difference in the injector harness between the 92 and 94, and also somebody stated on here that the 94 intake has a temp sensor for the EGR which the 92 does not, and it will throw a code if it's not plugged in. From what i can see it does appear to be the same. Normally I would not be afraid to cut the wire and splice it back together, but once it had gotten chopped it exposed the wire and it appears to be a shielded wire, and I am not a big fan of splicing shield wire if I don't have to. anyways, on with the build and pics to come throughout the day. I appreciate the suggestions and what not.
With the 92 ECU it doesn't throw a code. With the 94 ECU it does, but that's the only code it threw. I didn't swap anything.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM

so the engine is swapped in, and running normally so that is nice. on the other hand the turbo most definitely has a blown oil seal, so tomorrow I will swap turbos, and get a rebuild kit on order. I will swap the compressor housing onto the spare turbo and start plumbing the water cooling. Here are a few pics of the cut through crank sensor wires, it's hard to see in the pic but the wire is cut most of the way through.

A picture of the original 94 engine before the install. It is waiting for the intake manifold, crank sprocket, timing belt, and all the accessories power steering, alternator, and A/C

This is a picture of the 92 engine removed from the car, with the 94 intake setting on the hood, while swapping other parts over.

A close up of the 92 engine being parted out for the benefit of the 94 engine.

Any way as far as the intake sensor harness, I am using the 92 and there doesn't appear to be any difference between the two. I had to swap over one of the crank sensor plugins, I just de-pinned it and swapped it onto the 92 harness, and other than that it's good. So apparently the issue I ran into earlier on the build was just an issue with the injector harness. More updates, progress, and pics to come tomorrow.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 04-07-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Ok I got the turbo's swapped out, and swapped over the compressor housing as well, I also managed to get the water system mocked up. I will post a few pics of that tomorrow. It is gonna get re-located as this build is still in the experiment stage anyway.

Remaining issues to fix, the exhaust had some bull crap rattling around in it, I took it apart at the center of the car, and then dropped the CAT and two chunks of melted cat stuffs fell out, however the cat in the middle is still in tact. Two if the bolts had broken when uninstalling the pipe, so I will replace tomorrow. The other issue is a coolant leak at the throttle body which can be fixed with a clamp that I will also pick up tomorrow.

Moving on to the pics, here are a couple pics of removing the anti surge compressor housing from the "original" turbo and swapping it over to the other turbo.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM

So for an update, I got the water cooling hooked up and running for the turbo, but noticed I had a small coolant leak, one on the turbo cooling system, and one under the hood. I got them both fixed for now, but of course still in the testing phase. Surprisingly enough the turbo cooling system actually pulls a lot of heat away from the turbo. I mean I assumed it would pull more heat that the oil system but I am surprised as to just how much heat it pulls, so for another estimate, I stated earlier that I suspected the oil and cooling system would barely get in the low one hundreds for temp readings, but now I suspect the cooling will be hanging out in the upper one hundreds, while the oil system I think will still be in the low one hundreds. I am mocking up a panel in place of the radio to mount all the gauges to, and then need to hook up the temp sending units. I have also barely started plumbing the intake tubing, but I am waiting now for a 5 foot long piece of 2.5 inch aluminum tubing to carry the boost most of the way under the car, without using 20 hoses and 40 clamps on individual 12-18 inch pieces all the way, and less chances for boost leak, or at least easier to find if I do suffer some sort of boost leak.

I am doing a little bit at a time, but this weekend I will try to post up a bunch of pictures. Once I get the gauge panel done I will post that up as well.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 04-11-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM

I have been pre occupied lately, but managed to get a few more small things done on the build. I got the temp sending units wired up and both temp gauges working. I am in the process of wiring up the fans. I mounted the gauges on a plastic template which I have rough cut to fit into the radio area, and the cover closes concealing all the gauges when the car is parked. I have some diamond plate aluminum that will be the finished product to put the gauges in once I cut it down to size and drill the holes in it.

I haven't ordered an AFR gauge yet, but did order 3 inch exhaust pipe, and 2.5 aluminum tubing for the intake, both are 7 1/2 feet long each so once they come in I can mock those up and then cut the excess off. I still need to mount the waste gate before I plumb everything in, but that will be a trip to lowes to get a metal cutting hole saw. I am gonna work on it a bit more this evening and then I can post up some pics of what is done so far.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM

Ok, sorry I been so busy lately, but none the less here is an update on the progress. I got the 3 inch exhaust pipe in that I will bend to be the tail pipe. I got my 2.5 inch pipe in but totally got BUFU'd because it is aluminized pipe, not ALUMINUM like I wanted. I did however order some intercooler piping, two pipes each 3 feet in length. I really wanted to run one pipe the length of the car to reduce hoses and clamps, but we will see how this goes.

I have yet to order my AFR gauge, but one thing at a time anyway. Here is a picture of the gauges I have installed and mounted. The plastic background the gauges are mounted to is join to be a template for me to cut out some diamond plate aluminum my neighbor gave me so I will look good and churched up when I get it done.