Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX World Network Official Group Buys > Group Buys
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2011, 05:00 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Anyone have the Moog part# for the aftermarket Infinity endlinks which work? The noise is unbearable but I love the handling.
...please does anyone have the part number?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

^ I would also really like that part #.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 AM

Registered SVX

just out of curiosity how long from the time you installed the endlinks till the noise started?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Like right away. And then replaced them with another of the same set and it started again after like a couple weeks.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Registered SVX

hmm, well I have not had them on long enough then. I get some noise from my fronts though, think it might be time to replace them.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
^ I would also really like that part #.
I have this p/n in my head: MOOG K9828 LINK

I've been running w/o the rear sway bar until I order a set of these or something that's heavier duty than the OEM end links. It's gotta be ball joint type, not heim link style. One of these days.....

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 PM

Sorry to take forever responding to you folks here. i haven't checked the boards in a while, and for some reason I wasn't getting emails from the network when people replied to the thread! I apologize very much for my truancy!

So, that out of the way...

There IS a possible solution, and it involves using an OEM mazda rear endlink. HOWEVER, just in the last few days, OT ran into some big problems with those and until I can figure out what went wrong, i will not be giving that part number out to anyone. What happened involved an endlink coming into contact with a brake fitting and an immedate loss of brakes.

The benefits of the heim joint link are: incredible strength, good movement capabilities, and ease of installation.

The most obvious effect of one of these is, however, the noise they can create. I've been telling people to keep them lubed and it does help a ton, but I know it's not the most convenient thing to crawl under your car and oil them .

Now, on the most recent bar i sold (which belongs to 92svx) I sent him an experimental set of endlinks. I'm waiting for his review to see if the same noise problem comes up, and if not I'm going to send a few more out to current owners and see if we have a winner. They are still a heimjoint style, but have a tefton skirt on the end to help keep crap out. I would love to try to find one that has grease zerks in the end, but so far I haven't found anything.

However, if that doesn't work I still have a few things left to try. I just want to cross off one thing at a time here.

The bar really does enhance the car's handling in a way that I thought a simple part would not do, but dang if the rattle in the back doesn't get old...

So please, rest assured that I AM trying to find a solution (in between work, life, etc...) and that yes, a new batch of abrs will be available soon. I know I said that earlier this summer, but... WOW I had quite a summer. Now that things have calmed down susbstantially, I can get back to work on these things.

p.s. icingdeath, I still haven't received your old links back. Maybe I didn't communicate clearly, but I did need them back so I could send them to the manufacturer. I have a place make these specifically for this car, so when I told them that yours were acting up, they said they'd like to look at them to see if they can improve the design, and figure out what went wrong. Email me back if you like. nevinbontrager@gmail.com

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I have been driving my Pearlie alot lately.
Its my SVX with 236k, 4.44s, LAN, ECU & TCU, stock suspension,
(polys front and rear) and Nevins' rear anti-sway bar.
About three weeks ago I "got to go for a ride"!
GEL and I had to go to a wedding 150 miles away, and used country roads pushed it just a little.
We had enough time to enjoy the kind of quick/moderatly fast running on windy WV/VA roads.
Realisticly this was my first fun trip since I installed the bar!
I work WAY too much!
The SVX does lean less and feels better planted.

As to the brake fluid loss, as far as I know only two people have the replacement links that I am/was using.
I am back to the adjustables for now and looking for a stock length, HD quiet anti-sway bar link.
Still very happy with the bar though!
Nevin, call me.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 PM

Registered SVX

Ok Nevin I have not heard a single thing from the rear of the car, I do not know if time will make a difference but I know I have not been easy on it. I have not done any out of town long highway cruising but I have done lots of in town stop and go as well as fast corners and one really rough (steep) entrance that I took faster then I wanted. I have done U turns that had the rear swing out, which before this bar I would never have expected from this car.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Sorry to take forever responding to you folks here. i haven't checked the boards in a while, and for some reason I wasn't getting emails from the network when people replied to the thread! I apologize very much for my truancy!

So, that out of the way...

There IS a possible solution, and it involves using an OEM mazda rear endlink. HOWEVER, just in the last few days, OT ran into some big problems with those and until I can figure out what went wrong, i will not be giving that part number out to anyone. What happened involved an endlink coming into contact with a brake fitting and an immedate loss of brakes.

The benefits of the heim joint link are: incredible strength, good movement capabilities, and ease of installation.

The most obvious effect of one of these is, however, the noise they can create. I've been telling people to keep them lubed and it does help a ton, but I know it's not the most convenient thing to crawl under your car and oil them .

Now, on the most recent bar i sold (which belongs to 92svx) I sent him an experimental set of endlinks. I'm waiting for his review to see if the same noise problem comes up, and if not I'm going to send a few more out to current owners and see if we have a winner. They are still a heimjoint style, but have a tefton skirt on the end to help keep crap out. I would love to try to find one that has grease zerks in the end, but so far I haven't found anything.

However, if that doesn't work I still have a few things left to try. I just want to cross off one thing at a time here.

The bar really does enhance the car's handling in a way that I thought a simple part would not do, but dang if the rattle in the back doesn't get old...

So please, rest assured that I AM trying to find a solution (in between work, life, etc...) and that yes, a new batch of abrs will be available soon. I know I said that earlier this summer, but... WOW I had quite a summer. Now that things have calmed down susbstantially, I can get back to work on these things.

p.s. icingdeath, I still haven't received your old links back. Maybe I didn't communicate clearly, but I did need them back so I could send them to the manufacturer. I have a place make these specifically for this car, so when I told them that yours were acting up, they said they'd like to look at them to see if they can improve the design, and figure out what went wrong. Email me back if you like. nevinbontrager@gmail.com
Nevin,

I replaced your end links with the OEM Mazda links and the noise is gone but I am concerned about this potential brake problem. Please fill me in.

Ray
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Ok Nevin I have not heard a single thing from the rear of the car, I do not know if time will make a difference but I know I have not been easy on it. I have not done any out of town long highway cruising but I have done lots of in town stop and go as well as fast corners and one really rough (steep) entrance that I took faster then I wanted. I have done U turns that had the rear swing out, which before this bar I would never have expected from this car.
You'll hear the noise when you hit something like a pothole. When one side hits something but the other side does not. Some people have not had problems at all (they live where roads are smooth) and others have had bump after bump. It's just a clunking sound. Everything's working fine, but you just hear all the noise since this is basically a piece that you would use on the track. There's just no noise suppresion. The pieces I sent you I hope will get rid of that, or at leat quiet it down.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 PM

Ray, the problem was that the link itself came into contact (as far as I know anyway) with a fitting, and that it broke it and fluid came out.

Anyway, if you haven't had problems yet, I doubt you will, but if you could just get under there and see if you have plenty of clearance between the swaybar-endlink mounting bolts and the brake caliper, that'll let you know where we sit.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I have had no noise with my endlinks and still love having the rear bar...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
You'll hear the noise when you hit something like a pothole. When one side hits something but the other side does not. Some people have not had problems at all (they live where roads are smooth) and others have had bump after bump. It's just a clunking sound. Everything's working fine, but you just hear all the noise since this is basically a piece that you would use on the track. There's just no noise suppresion. The pieces I sent you I hope will get rid of that, or at leat quiet it down.
The roads are not that smooth here, they are certainly better then the roads in North Dakota but I have ran over man hole covers that are not flush and it makes noise up front but the rear has been very quiet.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Smile Re: Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX
. I have done U turns that had the rear swing out, which before this bar I would never have expected from this car.
I was wondering if i was the only one.
I turn aggressively most days and i justget the feeling the back will step out. One day last week the roads were damp and I decided at the last minute to take this turn rather than wait for oncoming traffic, gave everyone a little show.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.