SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...5&pagenumber=1

There was another thread I was involved in that sparked a 'heated' debate. Bottom line is that tire pressure affects rolling diameter.

- Rob
Old 11-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Rob,
Just a measured piece of info to add to this discussion - when I was running in the MB autocross this Sunday I started with 39 psi in the back tires and 44 in the front to minimize the chance of the sidewalls rolling. After 4 runs the front tires had heated up to 49.5 psi while the back tires were still at 39. I used a digital tire gage for all measurements. It would have been interesting to have measured the O.D. of the tires...
-Bill
p.s. Harry (newsvx) and Mike (Rufus) also drove in the same autocross. Both of them did great -- I continue to learn from watching and listening to both of them.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-03-2003, 03:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Rob,
Just a measured piece of info to add to this discussion - when I was running in the MB autocross this Sunday I started with 39 psi in the back tires and 44 in the front to minimize the chance of the sidewalls rolling. After 4 runs the front tires had heated up to 49.5 psi while the back tires were still at 39. I used a digital tire gage for all measurements. It would have been interesting to have measured the O.D. of the tires...
-Bill
p.s. Harry (newsvx) and Mike (Rufus) also drove in the same autocross. Both of them did great -- I continue to learn from watching and listening to both of them.
See, in that case, you'd be less concerned about a small detail like tire rolling diameter. Autocrossing is already pretty abusive, so why sweat the small stuff?

You know, Bill, I'll be entering my first autocross in less than two weeks. I can't friggin' wait!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-03-2003, 03:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Re: Understeer reduction via tire size change

Quote:
Originally posted by fasteract
Has anyone tried mounting 245/45's on the front only with 225/50's stock on the rear as an attempt to reduce understeer on their SVX ? The 2 sizes are dimensionally the same except for tread width and Paisan et. al. confirm 245's fit w/o rub.

Craig
Understeer?

What's that??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 11-03-2003, 03:46 PM

Lightbulb

-Would it be possible to use bicycle-computers (speedos) to measure each wheel (only small magnetos attached to the rim)?
Old 11-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

See, in that case, you'd be less concerned about a small detail like tire rolling diameter. Autocrossing is already pretty abusive, so why sweat the small stuff?

You know, Bill, I'll be entering my first autocross in less than two weeks. I can't friggin' wait!
Pockets,
Enjoy! Harry (newsvx) got me hooked on it. It will chew on your tires, so make sure they're in good shape. Actually had the car semi-drifting around the 270 cones - definitely a rush. Now, if I can only get my brain to listen to Harry's advice that "slower is faster"....
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-03-2003, 04:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
-Would it be possible to use bicycle-computers (speedos) to measure each wheel (only small magnetos attached to the rim)?
I don't know what you could hope to learn from these, unless you put two on the car - one on a front wheel and one on a rear. Cycling computers tend to want the circumference of a tire. So if you figured out what the circumference was supposed to be, then plugged that number into both, you could drive for a bit and see what kind of discrepancy there was between the measurments the computers recorded from the front and rear wheels.

Of course, if you take any turns, you're going to see different numbers between those readings, anyway.

I still think that the simplest way to test how tire pressure affects rolling diameter is to measure the distance between the center of the hub and the ground at different tire pressures.

As much as I'd like to attach some sort of laser-rangefinder to the center of my SVX's wheels and see if the number changed at different pressures, I lack such an instrument. So I'll be using something low-tech. Like a stick. This is unquestionably less precise, but without a doubt cheaper.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-03-2003, 04:20 PM

-I had all 4 corners in mind .. and a loooong straight....
Then you can set different pressures and measure in "your" way, after that drive 1 mile or so (straight) and check the "counters" on the displays!
Old 11-03-2003, 04:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Then you can set different pressures and measure in "your" way, after that drive 1 mile or so (straight) and check the "counters" on the displays!
You would, indeed, need a long straight for that.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-03-2003, 05:02 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Use white-out on the sidewalls. Its not high-tech, but it works, and its cheap. Put a mark at the bottom of all your tires on the sidewall, drive straight for 1/2 mile, and look at the difference in revolutions between the front and rear tires. If your tires all have the same amount of tread, and there is at least a few psi more in the fronts than the rears, there will be less than 1 revolution difference between the front and rear after 1/2 mile. Try it with a variety air pressures in the front and rear. Its kind of a fun experiment. I did it a while back when I got new tires. It took a 37.5 psi in the front and 30.5 psi in the rear before the front and rear had the same rolling circumference for my 225/45-17 tires. If you do these measurements and also determine the rolling circumference, then you can find out exactly how much of a difference in rolling circumference there is between the front and rear.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:22 PM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

Question rolling diameters

mbtoloczko [or anyone else who'd like to chime in..ta]

I read with interest your tyre experiment, in my case with my rim/tyre combination 265/35x9x18 rear and 235/40x8x18 front, according to tyre calc programs my front tyre has a larger diameter by 0.3inches to the rear tyre, but with weight over the front...which way will the air pressure gap likely go wider front to back or lesser.

I will do the experiment after my car comes off the hoist, but if I can estimate the air pressure gaps to start it will give me something to work with..[yours with same tyre/rim f to b was a 7 psi difference..but with my front tyre being slightly 'longer' but with the weight of the engine over it ...do you see the psi gap even wider or narrower..??]

Also how do you compensate for heat load.. perhaps getting it right for when the tyres are cold wont this change when say the front tyres have heat in them more than the rears..

Thanks

dave

Last edited by grnSVX96; 07-25-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:14 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
When I do the tire diameter calculations, I get that the dia of the rear is 0.1" less than the dia of the front. Since the tire diameters are a bit different, keep an eye on the difference in revolutions as you move the car forward. You might want to check every 1/4 or 1/8 of a mile.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:44 PM

I wonder if it is possible to "tap" into the ABS signal sensors, maybe in the ABS control box, and build a simple frequency counter to monitor all 4 wheels

Maybe I'll check into that l8er

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 07-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
I wonder if it is possible to "tap" into the ABS signal sensors, maybe in the ABS control box, and build a simple frequency counter to monitor all 4 wheels

Maybe I'll check into that l8er
I'm sure you could do that but I think chalk would be that much easier.