Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Registered SVX
5sp Guys, Get in Here- Clutch Slipping Issue *UPDATE PG 2*

So I swapped in a 5sp from a 2002 WRX almost exactly a year ago today. I used an F1 stage 2 clutch i got on ebay. I've never used F1 Racing products before, but the reviews seemed pretty decent. The clutch has always had a little chatter and harsh engagement, I just figured it was because it's a "stage 2" which of course is supposed to grab harder, etc.

Well lately it had started slipping a bit if you took off really hard from a dead stop, and would smell pretty bad. Then yesterday while getting on the interstate I was in 3rd gear and floored it, and it got to about 4000RPM and then started slipping and flared to 5k. I backed off and it grabbed and went, but smelled terrible. Got close to home and went around a turn in 2nd gear and floored it, same thing slipped and the revs flared.

So, I've got about 8 to 10k miles on this new clutch in a year, and it's fried. Anything to look for mechanically as to what may have caused it, or should I just chalk it up to a cheap clutch and go with a better name brand this time around? Any suggestions on what brand? I'm half tempted to just through a friction disk in and save some money, but the right way to do it would of course be to put a whole new clutch set in.

Also, I drive it like I stole it pretty much everywhere. I'm hard on it that's for sure, but damn less than 10k on a "stage 2" clutch? Oh and engine is bone stock.
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600

Last edited by reptar_head; 11-30-2011 at 04:41 PM.