Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2003, 10:36 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
SVX performance strut springs are done...

Pictures are in my locker under "SVX cust springs v2":

<http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?mbtoloczko>

Here are the details:

Spring rates: 182f/141r (stock is 140f/110r, so this is a 30% increase in rate)
Ride height: 1/2" lower than stock front and rear

The ride is still plush, but the car feels more solid during performance driving. No sign of the struts being pushed beyond their limits.

I intend to bring these to market either on my own or through a performance auto shop. The final kit will be a bit different than the one described here. I intend to drop the front another 1/4" and increase the spring rates to 190f/155r. Who's interested? I'm sorry I don't have a price for you yet. As soon as I know who the seller will be, a price will be posted.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Hater

i might be interested in something like this, but without any lowering. would it be possible to keep the stock ride height?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-20-2003, 02:54 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i might be interested in something like this, but without any lowering. would it be possible to keep the stock ride height?
Yes, but it would cost a bit extra. Actually, if there is enough interest in only a mild drop, then I'll stick with the 1/2" drop front/rear. Honestly though, 1/2" lower looks great and does not comprimise handling in any way that I've noticed. I was out driving it this morning, and I'm very pleased with the handling; noticeably less lean in the corners, and the car has a much more solid and stable feel all around. The car feels a bit firmer when hitting bumps, but I actually think its a little more comfortable feel than the stock suspension which seems to wallow a bit in bumps.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Debo

Send a message via AIM to cxt2001
Hey I would be into buying a set, but I on the other hand want it lower than stock But keep us updated on this and a price.Thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Registered Abuser

I definately need to drop my front. It popped up about 3/4" from the 5 spd swap. I think I'd want to go down about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" in the front and maybe a 1/2" in back(if that). I think my rears are sagging now so a 1/2" drop in the back probably would end up right where it is now. Did you do any, or plan to, close to this?

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 07-21-2003, 10:01 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by elninoalex
I definately need to drop my front. It popped up about 3/4" from the 5 spd swap. I think I'd want to go down about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" in the front and maybe a 1/2" in back(if that). I think my rears are sagging now so a 1/2" drop in the back probably would end up right where it is now. Did you do any, or plan to, close to this?

Stephen
I've been told that the 5 speed swap saves about 125 lbs which was mainly carried by the front suspenstion, so with the stock 140 lb/in springs, the front end definitely ought to come up at least 1/2". I've been considering having a set of "5 speed conversion" springs designed to take into account the weight savings in the front, especially since I plan to do the 5-speed conversion on my ride. So, now that I some confirmation that the front end does lift up with the 5 speed, I'm definitely going to have another set designed for 5 speeds. The goal will be to have a 1/2" f/r drop on a 5-speed SVX. These springs also ought to be good for those people with ATs that want to really drop the front end.

I'm kinda perplexed by the sagging rear suspension that people have mentioned. My car didn't do it, but I've seen several SVX'es in town that exhibit this. I would have thought that Subaru would have used high grade spring steel. Maybe there was a bad batch of steel. It could be something in the suspension itself, but after having taken the rear suspension apart several times, there is nothing that comes to mind except that perhaps the upper rubber spring seat is totally collapsing. That doesn't seem likely though. Mine was in very poor condition, and it still had not totally collapsed. Anyhow, if the problem is sagging springs, then my springs will not drop the rear. If its something else, then its probably something that will need to be replaced, and as a result, there will still be no drop in the rear for those people's SVXes that are sagging in the rear.

Visit my locker

Old 07-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Registered Abuser

It's funny, my black car's rear sat up much higher than this one. I think the K & Bs would probably be just right for the 5 spds, but they are beginning to look more and more like a figment of my imaginaiton.

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
Old 07-21-2003, 10:51 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
...........I'm kinda perplexed by the sagging rear suspension that people have mentioned. My car didn't do it, but I've seen several SVX'es in town that exhibit this. ..........
It could be that the rear strut mount has rusted away. It is a common problem as the road salt and dust and dirt tends to just sit on the top of the mount. It will lower the rear a good 2" when it collapses. Most people do not notice it unless driving over a very large bump at a good speed.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:17 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

It could be that the rear strut mount has rusted away. It is a common problem as the road salt and dust and dirt tends to just sit on the top of the mount. It will lower the rear a good 2" when it collapses. Most people do not notice it unless driving over a very large bump at a good speed.
Whoa! You've seen a collapsed one? I can totally believe it happens, but I don't think this is the case with the cars I've seen.

Visit my locker

Old 07-21-2003, 12:18 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by elninoalex
It's funny, my black car's rear sat up much higher than this one. I think the K & Bs would probably be just right for the 5 spds, but they are beginning to look more and more like a figment of my imaginaiton.

Stephen
Is the black car an LS-L or LSi?

Visit my locker

Old 07-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Depending on the price I'm very interested.

- Rob
Old 07-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Is the black car an LS-L or LSi?
LS-L just like the yellow one.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
Old 07-21-2003, 05:10 PM
vabnay

I am interested but I would not want any additional lowering from where you currently are. They are already very low and additional lowering can upset the handling according to other threads.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2003, 06:01 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by vabnay
I am interested but I would not want any additional lowering from where you currently are. They are already very low and additional lowering can upset the handling according to other threads.
Thanks
i wanted stock height beause i live in Pittsburgh - home of the world's deepest potholes and worst road maintenance. the PA state flag is the "CONSTRUCTION AHEAD" sign.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-21-2003, 10:49 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by vabnay
Thanks
Yeah, I'm going to stick with 1/2". If you lower it substantially, there are at least two problems that can occur. First, you can run out of compressive wheel travel. Second, it reduces the ability for the suspension to provide camber compensation when the car leans in a corner. The 1/2" drop in combination with the higher spring rates will not cause either of these problems. I think its a good comprimise between performance, driveability, and looks.

Visit my locker