Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Started with the installation of the strong-flex bushings.
Here is the rear right side ready to be installed back. I will also install the GC springs, bontrager bar, $15 mod, rear 4pot Rotoras and the upgraded end links.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 11-28-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Started with the installation of the strong-flex bushings.
Here is the rear right side ready to be installed back. I will also install the GC springs, bontrager bar, $15 mod and the upgraded end links.
How did you go about changing the trailing arm and lateral link bushings? This guy was not having a good time of it, maybe you can give him some help: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60616
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM

Had a fun weekend. Found my water pump started leaking which is apparently a tell tale sign that the seal has failed so had to swap that out with a spare I had. Also found 3 x idler pulleys weren't happy as the bearings were worn so swapped them out as well.

Patched up a pin hole leak in the radiator... and then spent a bit more time on the cold start and warm up tune - it's near perfect now and the big cams seem very happy below 1000 rpm.

Also finished the aero package, although it's never finished it's just ready to race haha.

Front vortex generators, idea is the keep the high pressure air away from the low pressure undertray / diffuser air:

Looking forward from the diffuser:

Many people install air / oil coolers put many tend to leak and catch fire at one time or another so I've just put an extra radiator between the engine and the stock turbo oil cooler - the water feeding the cooler has dropped from 75'C down to 55'C.

Oil cooler mod - little water radiator pictured:
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM

Registered SVX

Put the snow tires on, changed the oil and had new rear drilled and slotted rotors installed. All ready for winter.

1997 Laguna Pearl LSi 39 000 mi 62 000 km

1992 Claret LS-L Sold 105 000 mi 169 000 km

1988 XT6 Written Off 111 000 mi 180 000 km
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 PM

Registered SVX

Put a new $37 OEM upper radiator hose on the 6 yo Outback XT.
Began to smoke last weekend; obvious there was an aneurism crack at the engine outlet side that allowed a slow drip directly on the exhaust. Nothing got on the belts.
installed myself this morning, topped & burped, problem fixed.
Interesting brown color because yellow coolant at JiffyLube had been mixed with Subaru green a year ago, but no sediment. Had it tested and all on spec.
Took half a day to burn off the remaining coolant on the pipes 'cause I wasn't going to risk blowing any ignition coils by hosing down the engine bay. Been there, done that...

Went to the Kitchener Dealer 30 minutes up the road for the hose instead of my local dealer - over the past 6 years the local has 'lost' several button clips that hold the plastic engine cover and replaced them with mismatched 'whatevers they could find'. Besides losing and leaving off bolts that hold the engine undertray in place and strapping it on with zip ties. Argh! You'd think after 15 years they'd have learned that I know where every nut bolt screw & fastener are on my own car!
Explained to Kitchener Service Manager my dissatisfaction with Stratford and he gave me 8 of the correct clips...for free!
No-brainer where I'll take my Subies in future if I need something serious I can't do myself.

Waiting for the hose to come in I did half the SVX window scratch fix. Took out the stabilizer pads, brushed them clean and set the inner ones back a bit to relieve pressure. Windows move much better & faster.

Been driving the SVX all week. Bonus. Gratuitous Double Subie shot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg two subarus.jpg (272.5 KB, 600 views)
1994 Emerald Pearl LSi w 2006 WRX 5 spd manual.
1997 Laguna Blue LSi, 46k miles (73345 Kms). One owner 25 years, always garaged, pampered and 9/10 showroom condition. Possibly the last Canadian spec Laguna ordered #100134
Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 AM

Registered SVX

Great looking outback...
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Scavenged two security modules out of a couple SVXs I came across at some junkyards last weekend. Wasn't sure if either would work, but it was worth it. Pulled the glove box out to connect them and one of them works! Only paid like $25 total for the parts too.

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 AM

Registered SVX

DIY front splitter, pics when its light out
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Re-modifying my struts' internals (well a specialized shop), and installing the GC kit.
Pics of finished struts will come in 24 hrs.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Registered SVX

sorry for pics from a potato.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.

Last edited by bishop; 12-07-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Hmm I don't like that, has a bit of a cheap look.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Registered SVX

Replaced a shredded alt/powersteering belt. Couple of minute job that should have been done a month ago when the belt started shedding pieces of itself.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Here is the finished strut:

Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Here is the finished strut:

What kind of strut is inside?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
What kind of strut is inside?
Just modified OEM internals starting with a mixture of ATF and engine oil and pressure mechanism modification.
I saw him pour the oils, and allowed me to take pics of the emptied strut. But closed the door and worked secretly on the rest. They are stiffer than anything I have felt...