Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Parking Lights

Hi Guys. I am a SVX newbie. I just purcahsed a 1995. My question is this: are the parking lights supposed to come on when you turn on the lights from the switch on the steering column? I can only get the parking lights to come on if I use the switch on the dashboard. I have other problems but I want to tackle one at a time. Thank you.
Paul
Old 09-21-2007, 06:48 AM

Greetings. The parking light switch on the dash is only for turning on the lights when the car isn't running.

dcb
Old 09-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Yes the parking lights should come on when you turn the headlight switch on the turn signal stalk. The first click is parking lights, the second is headlights and parking lights. Lights turned on with this switch will shut off when you turn the car off.

Do your parking lights stay off even when you turn on your headlights?

I would suspect the "P" switch on the dash that turns the parking lights on even when the car is off. When that switch is removed, it affects the normal use of the parking lights. I'm wondering if there is a loose wire or dirty contact??

Use a screwdriver to gently pry that switch out of the dash and check for loose wires. Spray some electrical contact cleaner into the switch and work it on/off many times.

If that doesn't solve it then there is another wiring issue somewhere Is there an aftermarket alarm system installed?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Do your turn signals work? Just trying to see if you have power going to the lights through the turn signal stalk.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-21-2007, 07:42 AM

Classic SVX
Wow! You guys are fast!. To answer some of your questions: The parking lights will stay on with the car off as long as I leave the dashboard switch on. I believe there is an aftermarket alarm on the car because it only locks the doors and kills the ignition. It does not make any sound. It does not sound if you hit the glass or open the door. The turn signals work fine and the headlight comes on in the second position, also the button on the end also works( the one that dims the dashboard lights). So right now in order to have taillights on at night, I need to turn on the parking light switch on the dash. and then I need to remember to turn them off or I will be dead.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I'd do the easiest things first, clean that switch out. If that doesn't do it, the next suspect is the wiring for the aftermarket alarm. I've seen some real butcher install jobs
Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 AM

Classic SVX
Cool

Thanks. This forum ROCKS!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I don't know why your tail lights don't come on with your headlights. I too would also suspect a bad alarm install. An alarm that makes no noise is not a deterrent. Is there a horn or siren hooked up to it?

Check for blown fuses.

Tail light fuse is a 10A fuse. It is a 5th fuse from the left in the top row. This fuse panel is found under the instrument panel on the drivers side.

The lighting fuse is located in the main fuse box in the engine compartment. It is a 20A fuse on the extreme left side, marked as LIGHT SW, directly above the HAZARD fuse.

These diagrams are in your owner's manual.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 09-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Classic SVX
There is no horn or siren hooked up to the alarm. I guess I may have to get a new alarm. Any suggestions? in respect to the fuses, is there a sprecial fuse for the lights that are controled by the switch on the steering column because my tail lights do come on but only with the parking light switch that is located on the dashboard. in reguards to the owners manual, the one I got with the car says 1994. my car is a 95. is there a difference?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

That #5 fuse is the only one I know of for the tail lights.

The 1994 and 1995 manuals are exactly the same as far as features, controls, specs, etc.

Do you know who installed the alarm or what kind it is? With a make and model, you should be able to download a wiring diagram to see that to look for.

I have the feeling that there was something miswired. Most alarms are designed to have the parking lights flash when arming and disarming the system, even if the horn doesn't chirp, to show its status

I can't imagine any competent installer would not hook up the horn or siren that came with the alarm. The idea is to deter someone BEFORE they break into your car, not AFTER they get all the way in, just to find out they can't start it, get angry, and trash your interior.

Is the alarm fused? What happens with your lights if you disconnect it completely? (Like working on a light switch in your house. Turning off the light switch is not the same as removing power to it by flipping the circuit breaker)

If the fuses are fine, and the parking light switch is okay, you may have some electrical troubleshooting ahead of you. Many here with parts cars can probably supply you with a parking switch assembly just in case. Is your interior gray or beige?

Lots of questions to get to the bottom of this.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Classic SVX
The lights "DO" flash when I arm and disarm the alarm. So I guess whoever put the alarm in did set it up to have the parking lights flash when I set the alarm. My interior is Gray. I don't know who installed it or what brand it is. The remote is so worn that I cannot read anything that is inprinted on it.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Classic SVX
While I am waiting for delivery of a parking light switch to see if that is the problem, can anyone recommend a good alarm system in case I have to install a new one? I should get one with a siren anyway.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
(Paul sent me a PM yesterday saying that this problem was still not fixed)

OK, I've studied the SVX wiring diagrams.

Given all of the things that Paul says work, I can say fairly confidently that all of the fuses and the "Tail & Illumination" relay are still good.

The problem is either:
  • The parking light switch (the one on the dash, not the knob on the stalk) has failed (it's effectively a 3-terminal, SPDT switch, and the "off" position no longer has continuity), or
  • The Brown/Red wire, between FB-33 and the parking light switch, is severed. This may be where the aftermarket alarm tapped in so it can flash the parking lights. Since the alarm is still able to flash the lights, it must still be connected to the B/R wire on the side going towards the parking lights switch.
The more likely culprit is the switch. Spray some contact cleaner inside the switch and press it a bunch of times. It might revive itself.

One more test to try: With the parking lights switch off, when you arm and disarm the alarm, do the dash illumination lights also flash? With the parking lights switch on, does the alarm flash the dash lights?

The parking lights switch should only illuminate the exterior lights, not the dash lights.

If the switch is working, when it's in the "off" position, an alarm will flash both the exterior parking lights and the dash illumination lights.

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-19-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:06 AM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
(Paul sent me a PM yesterday saying that this problem was still not fixed)

OK, I've studied the SVX wiring diagrams.

Given all of the things that Paul says work, I can say fairly confidently that all of the fuses and the "Tail & Illumination" relay are still good.

The problem is either:
  • The parking light switch (the one on the dash, not the knob on the stalk) has failed (it's effectively a 3-terminal, SPDT switch, and the "off" position no longer has continuity), or
  • The Brown/Red wire, between FB-33 and the parking light switch, is severed. This may be where the aftermarket alarm tapped in so it can flash the parking lights. Since the alarm is still able to flash the lights, it must still be connected to the B/R wire on the side going towards the parking lights switch.
The more likely culprit is the switch. Spray some contact cleaner inside the switch and press it a bunch of times. It might revive itself.

One more test to try: With the parking lights switch off, when you arm and disarm the alarm, do the dash illumination lights also flash? With the parking lights switch on, does the alarm flash the dash lights?

The parking lights switch should only illuminate the exterior lights, not the dash lights.

If the switch is working, when it's in the "off" position, an alarm will flash both the exterior parking lights and the dash illumination lights.
OK Here is what I tried so far. I armed and disarmed the alarm with the parking light switch off and with the parking light switch on and both times the interior dash lights 'DID NOT" flash. Could that be a faulty switch? My next time out there I will change the switch.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-20-2007, 08:57 AM

Classic SVX
OK I tried to change the switch but could not get to the White plug on the end of the switch. Is there an easy way to get to it? What do I have to remove to get to it?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander