SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2004, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Thumbs up Made a POWER MODE switch

yes and it works...

Relay, momentary switch and two resistors on the TPS wire going to the TCU.

Optimal resistors would be a 400 ohm and a 1K ohm. If you can't find the exact one you can always series/parallel other resistors. the goal is to make about 4V from 12-14V.

Enjoy: I've played with it and it's cool .......really does raise the shift points even under normal acceleration. Just try not to HOLD DOWN the button .....that's less desirable.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 07-25-2004, 09:38 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

at what rpm is the power light supposed to go on....ive almost hit redline and no sight of the power light. it only blinks like twice when i start the engine..thats all i see of it.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-25-2004, 10:41 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
the power light is not rpm based

it is activated by the ... speed in which the accelerator is pushed
slam down on the pedal quickoly and it goes on
floor it by slowly putting it to the floor and it won't go on

you can even just tap the pedal very quickly from the top liek 1/4" down and let off and it will go on
Old 07-26-2004, 12:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
I am so going to make one of these when I get my SVX. Looks very fun.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:12 AM
red95svx

Re: Made a POWER MODE switch

Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
yes and it works...

Optimal resistors would be a 400 ohm and a 1K ohm. If you can't find the exact one you can always series/parallel other resistors. the goal is to make about 4V from 12-14V.

Enjoy: I've played with it and it's cool .......really does raise the shift points even under normal acceleration. Just try not to HOLD DOWN the button .....that's less desirable.

That's great! Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

A word of caution to others who might try this: the wires going to the ECU changed colors AND positions over the years. Always check with a service manual (or someone who has one) before you cut wires!

Dave
Old 07-26-2004, 07:55 AM

yes good point. To check if you have the right wire use a multimeter/voltmeter set to DC voltage. Put one lead on the suspected wire and the other lead to ground. With the ignition on you should be reading about 0.3V, then press the throttle and you should see it go up, at WOT it should read 4-4.5 V.

All you're doing here is "blipping" the throttle to the WOT position. So hit the button fast and the TCU will think you just floored the throttle real fast and want power mode. Once it's engaged, you have to drive the SVX somewhat hard to keep it on.

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 07-26-2004, 03:44 PM
RSVXLsi

i have the Lsi 1996 i've never seen the power light go on when i start the car or when i pushed it to the max real quick. could this be bad not having the power light not going on? also do the 96+ not have a power light that works?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:05 PM

from what i understand OBD-II SVX's don't have power lights ...

Old 07-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Just wanted to confirm that... OBD-II cars (96 and 97 only) don't have the POWER light. I can't say if it even has the POWER mode... doesn't feel like it as I've never felt my 96 take off like my 95 could. Maybe another attempt by Subaru to make the trannies last longer?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
at what rpm is the power light supposed to go on....ive almost hit redline and no sight of the power light. it only blinks like twice when i start the engine..thats all i see of it.
That generally means you have an issue... check the how to lockers and pull the code.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Destroyer of worlds.

Re: Made a POWER MODE switch

Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
yes and it works...

**clip image**
I was driving around last night enjoying the high-powered cool desert air and I started thinking about your mod. Questions (pertain only to the function of tha car with this mod): Does POWER mode cancel after a predetermined time or does POWER mode remain on indefinitely if you drive hard? Also, you said "try no to HOLD DOWN...less desirable.", please explain.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:23 PM

Once in power mode, if you keep driving hard it won't disengage. Let of the gas for a couple seconds and it'll shut off. This mod doesn't permantely engage power mode because it doesn't alter anything. It just blips the throttle electronically so the TCU thinks you floored it, but the engine revs do not increase because the butterfly isn't physically moving.

If you hold down the button the TCU thinks you're flooring the car (WOT). So, it'll downshift to the lowest possible gear, meanwhile the butterfly is barely opened. Because of this the engine is putting out a lot of effort, and the trans will suddenly upshift into it's normal gear. There's no point to hold the button down anyway. This is just for a change in shift points ...that's all, you won't feel like an instant power boost simply by hitting the button because you're not feeding any more air into the engine. It's still fun to have it shift at 3k under mild acceleration rather than 2k.

Today I hit the switch under maybe half throttle ...power light kicked on and it didn't shift til about 6.5k ...cool thing is that it just creaped up to 6.5k nice and slowly

Old 07-28-2004, 10:14 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX

That generally means you have an issue... check the how to lockers and pull the code.
Nah i was wrong it doesnt blink. It comes on like its supposed to after ignition and then goes off. My light works fine....tested it out yesterday and floored it and it lit up...then went away right after i let up on the gas. So all is well.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 07-29-2004, 08:39 PM

okay okay ....the more I play with this the cooler it gets. It'll do one of two things under normal acceleration .............1) Downshift if its in a real high gear ........or 2) hold the gear you're in rather than shifting .........oh it's cool .........so cool because you don't feel any jerking of the car - it's like I finally have a lot more control over how I want the 4EAT to shift. I was goin real fast on just regular roads and not realizing it simply because the transmission is holding the gears longer .....oh i love it - just gotta be careful.

Anyone scared to do this? If so I can "mass produce" them and ship em out for like $20 (that includes shipping).

Old 08-02-2004, 10:07 AM

If you wan't PERMANENT power mode, you have to connect a 400ohm resistor and a switch in parallell with the 4EAT temp sensor

resistor and switch.

(A)o----XXXX---o--->o-------o(B)

(A) is one terminal of the temp sensor, and (B) is the other

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***