SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2003, 06:16 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
why you should install a higher pressure fpr

I've been looking doing a bit of research on the fuel delivery rate of our SVXes. Based on what I've found, it looks like the stock fuel system can handle no more than 230 HP without going lean at WOT. The stock injectors are 275 cc/min capacity (at 43 psi), and according to the service manual, the SVX fuel pressure is set to 36 psi at WOT. If I have a jaunt over to this page:

http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm

and in the first worksheet use 230 HP, 6 injectors, a BSFC of 0.5, a duty cycle of 0.8, and a max fuel pressure of 36 PSI, then the worksheet spits out that 277 cc/min fuel injectors are needed for these conditions. That means that any aftermarket mods which improve airflow are going to be pushing the fuel delivery system beyond its limits. This would explain why svxfiles has been seeing improvements in power when he installed a 2000 Legacy 2.5 fuel pressure regulator which is good for 43 psi in his mildly modified SVX. Food for thought folks.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:46 PM

Registered SVX
Worthwhile thoughts and info for sure.

But --- how do I REDUCE the gas my car uses when my wife hacks it about in city traffic etc ? The SVX has proven to be a hungry animal. Even so, it is quite a family pet.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:24 PM
sans SVX

At less than WOT, the ECU shortens the fuel pulse length to compensate for the higher fuel pressure.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
so if you do any mods you should up the fuel to 43 PSI?

where can i get one and how much?
Old 09-27-2003, 12:01 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
At less than WOT, the ECU shortens the fuel pulse length to compensate for the higher fuel pressure.
Yes, I am aware of how the ECU functions. I was referring to the hope of improving fuel consumption in respect of an existing car in standard condition, accepting the obvious of having everything in good condition.

Indications are that many desire such improvement. Posting the obvious -- " Keep your foot off the gas ", will earn a booby prize.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-27-2003 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:48 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

Yes, I am aware of how the ECU functions. I was referring to the hope of improving fuel consumption in respect of an existing car in standard condition, accepting the obvious of having everything in good condition.

Indications are that many desire such improvement. Posting the obvious -- " Keep your foot off the gas ", will earn a booby prize.
Ah. I was too focused on the topic. Yeah, its amazing that the car is such a gas guzzler considering that the ECU keeps the a/f mixture right on stoich.

Visit my locker

Old 09-27-2003, 01:54 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by AFBeefcake
so if you do any mods you should up the fuel to 43 PSI?

where can i get one and how much?
svxfiles said that a fuel pressure regulator from a 2000 Legacy 2.5 is rated at around 45 psi and is a bolt-in replacement. I called up a service shop today to get some info, and indeed that regulator is set to 43 psi. The price is about $70 online. I haven't seen one yet though, so I don't know if its a bolt-in replacement.

Visit my locker

Old 09-27-2003, 02:07 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Ah. I was too focused on the topic. Yeah, its amazing that the car is such a gas guzzler considering that the ECU keeps the a/f mixture right on stoich.
What puzzles me is that one can doodle about town without exceeding 2200 RPM and the thing still guzzles ! Maybe the AC requires mega HP.

Old 09-27-2003, 06:29 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If that is a bolt in replacement then why do the guys putting turbos in the 2.5RS use an svx FPR? It would seem the legacy unit would be better.

And if this does pan out, don't throw out your old svx fpr - they are very easy to sell -even used- on the impreza forums.

<---- heading over to nasioc tech forums
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:33 AM
Subaru Swapper

any one have a part number for the 2.5 FPR?
Old 09-27-2003, 08:12 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Mychailo,
Does this mean you're going to be the test mule for this mod? I'm in the middle of drawing up a new air box to allow for a larger drop in filter (stupid ABS keeps getting in the way ) so allowing for more fuel flow to go with increased air flow works for me!
-Bill (definitely "keeping his foot off the gas" )

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-27-2003, 08:14 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:

our car dosnt run stoick, it runs slightly rich, as every car does for safety.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:47 AM
Subaru Swapper

would some thing like this work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2433517641

they say they have Fuel Rail Adapters for Subaru
Old 09-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

our car dosnt run stoick, it runs slightly rich, as every car does for safety.
I would say it runs richer than most cars. :| I don't have any evidence for this other than how badly it sucks gas when you're not doing anything. I think in the upper RPMs, it leans out a little, and you're engine is being a lot more efficient. That's just my guess though. I can just sense it with my ESVXP.

- Rob
Old 09-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Subaru Swapper

or would it be better to go to a juck yard and just buy one off a 2000 2.5 legacy