How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 PM

what kind of mileage do you get?

Just curious about what a typical SVX gets for mileage off the board.

My stock '95 LSi (well, cone filter and removed resonator) got 28 mpg on a trip to SC last week and on one tank even got 30 going about 85 mph the whole time. I love that tall gearing though, 3k rpm @ 95 mph in 4th gear!!

Also, I'm still pretty new to the SVX game, and I hear alot about tranny swapping, how I'll probably need a new tranny by the time I'm finished typing this post, may as well buy a spare tranny now, blah blah blah... Point is, I'd like to get ahold of a 4.44 tranny if I could. I've heard a fair amount about the 4.11 tranny and that seems all well and good, but as often as I drive the car, I really don't think I'd mind the worse mileage that's associated with a 4.44 since the plus side is the better acceleration, and a beefier (correct me if I'm wrong) tranny.

Like I say, I'm still clicking on every link I see trying to find out as much as I can, but sometimes the quickest way to find something is just to ask! There are a bunch of you guys out there that have been where I am now and have the answers, so I may as well ask!

p.s. which would you recommend 4.44's or 4.11's and why? and what models do each come out of again??

Sorry again for the noob questions, but I very much look forward to some answers!

-nevin

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
I don't know about the gears, so I'll let someone else answer... I think the 4.11 gears come out of a Legacy, and Outbacks have the 4.44, someone correct me if I am wrong...

As for transmission longevity, replace your filter and have the fluid flushed every 30,000 miles, and install an aftermarket transmission cooler and you shouldn't have too many problems. The main killer of the 4EAT is heat :-)

And for mileage, I get 24/28 out of my 90 Legacy, 18 with the o2 sensor unplugged but I dunno what my SVX gets cuz I haven't gotten it yet...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
My SVX gets lousy mileage. I think I'm something on the order of 20 MPG on the last tank. I do need to replace a bunch of things though. No CEL yet, but I think new sersors would make a world of difference.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
16-18mpg, but i do horrid traffic driving to and from work, and that's all the driving i do. On my recent trip to texas, i got 28.5mpg peak, 26mpg average. I have a 5speed manual trans with 3.90 gears. I have plenty of pep as well.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:05 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
5-speed (2000 RS) with 4.111 gears: 15 city, 25 highway

I have to say, though, that the 15 isn't really fair to the car, as most of its driving is 5.7 miles between work and home, ten times a week, and I'm not lazy off the line. I fill it up every 3.5 weeks or so. So it spends a disproportionate amount of time warming up.

Not far from the rated 17/25 (right?)
Old 09-06-2007, 05:51 AM

Mine average just under 18 MPG in routine duty (about 25 miles per day); up to the high 20s at prevailing highway speeds with cruise set. No mods (excepting supplemental ATF cooler on the teal), mixed 87-92 octane fuel. Approaching 4 years of ownership, I've recorded a tick over 30 MPG a couple of times.

dcb
Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
My SVX gets lousy mileage. I think I'm something on the order of 20 MPG on the last tank. I do need to replace a bunch of things though. No CEL yet, but I think new sersors would make a world of difference.
I second that... I get about 18 - 22mpg depending on how much time I spend on the beltline around Raleigh...

As par as tranny recomendations here are mine... If you are wanting to do a manual swap I'd recommend a WRX tranny. Mainly because you just slot that in there (new tranny crossmember, lenthen the driveshaft by about 2" and the same for the shifter linkage) and you are fine. With all the other tranny's you'll have to get a matching rear diff. And if you want to keep your limited slip in the rear that mean s actually opening the rear diff up, etc....

If you are going with a Manual tranny, I've heard good things about the Outback tranny with the 4.44 final... Although I really know almost nothing about that swap so I'm not a good person to comment on it...

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
My '95 got 30+mpg at +85mph (not being babied either). And it gets about 22-24mpg in the city. But its getting a 4.44 tranny, the pearl with have a 4.11, and my ebony has a stock tranny so after i get everything swapped ill comment on the differences.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 09-23-2007, 03:14 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
The highest I've gotten my 4.44s to was 27.6 mpg going about 70 to 75 consistently. This was before the accident so I have to basically see how I can get my mileage back.
2012 Camry V6 SE