How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Some Random Weirdo

05-07 STI coilovers and use of the sway bar (brackets?)

I recently got a set of 05-07 STI coilovers for my SVX. They are lower end Maxspeedracing coilovers, but a lot better than my totally shot stock struts, especially the sagging rears. One of the members of SVX Nation is also using these exact coilovers and said that installing them was fairly easy. Rears lined right up and only the fronts needs to have the holes elongated to make them work. The thing is he, like many others I have read, are foregoing their sway bar to do this.

My question is how do I also use my front and rear sway bars with the STI coilover set up? I have read people using clamp brackets, but I have not seen the specific brackets I need to buy. Does anyone know of which ones to buy, i.e. model number, ect? Do they brackets themselves need any sort of modification in order to be used? I was going to replace my sway bar bushings anyways so I am going to go poly bushings. Just need a way to save the sway bars in order to do that. I know people run it without the sway bars with coilovers, but I would rather avoid that if possible.

Thank you.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Some Random Weirdo

Re: 05-07 STI coilovers and use of the sway bar (brackets?)

These are the ones I am using.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:36 PM

Are you running sti hubs as i read somewhere that the strut mount area on Svx is thicker than other subies?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:26 PM

I welded a bracket onto my front control arm and used STi endlinks. Picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1394.jpg (362.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Some Random Weirdo

I was planning on using the stock hubs. Someone is using these exact coilovers with the only modifications to the fronts on the hole being opened up more. However, he took out his sway bar. I would like to keep it.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
I welded a bracket onto my front control arm and used STi endlinks. Picture attached.
Nice job, looks strong.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
I was planning on using the stock hubs. Someone is using these exact coilovers with the only modifications to the fronts on the hole being opened up more. However, he took out his sway bar. I would like to keep it.

Pretty sure SVX spindle hub is thicker than lower STi strut attachment...let us know what happens with your set.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
I still not sure what you mean.
Is it the top mount holes on the chassis that need elongating to match the top mount stud pattern?
Or is it the strut mount bracket that needs opening up a little and the holes elongating to allow bolts to pass through?
If you could find out for me or if anyone else knows (Tireiron??) that would be helpful as i have read the reviews and this is an affordable option for me in the uk as shipping on standard shocks and springs would be astronomical.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Some Random Weirdo

This is what the member who uses them said:

Charles Findley The rears bolt right up to the knuckle. You don't even have to widen them like the other coilovers. You do have to drill the holes in the strut tower still. The fronts you have to drill the holes for the strut tower but you also have to elongate 1 hole on the mount for the knuckle. What I'm saying about the rears is you can't lower them all the way because the threaded part of the coilover will hit the axle in the back.

Charles Findley You can go really low on the front of you want the wheels to be cambered in a little. The rears on the other hand can't really go that low. They hit the axles and I want to find a solution to it. They only have camber adjustment on the fronts. I elongated the hole till it would let the bolt through. Don't elongate the camber bolt hole though. There is a left and a right for the fronts. You can tell that by looking at the camber bolts and the brake mounting points. Also set it up with the top plates so you have the most negative camber adjustment. I will take pictures of mine for you. And no you can't run the sway bar anymore. You won't need it anyways. Best thing to do is cut the sway bar links and cut the sway bar flush with its mounts. It's your choice of you want to fight with it to take it out completely.

Front:

Rear:

Charles Findley That is what will stop you from going lower in the rear.

Works great for him, but he doesn't have his sway bar in. My intention is to try to find a solution with some sort of brackets to use my sway bar.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Here's my thread on fitting WRX coilovers. STi are much easier, not so much grinding required.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41831

I welded brackets onto the control arms similar to Tireiron.

One of the side effects of the modified swaybar link locations is that it effectively softens your front bar. By moving the bracket in toward the pivot point the suspension has a lot more leverage against the bar.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl