How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
We need this for the club!

http://store.makerbot.com/digitizer

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these so that I can recreate those pesky little things like the window sleeve lock regulator that keeps breaking. It could also be used for the radio trim, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts or possibly a cheaper option?
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: We need this for the club!

i'm considering buying a digital printer for my shop. if i do i will post it up and make parts. what i would buy would probably run more off of an auto cad type program because i would usually be making a part for a car that is missing and no one has.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 05-02-2015, 11:42 AM

Registered SVX

If you guys are serious about these kind of systems, I can ask around at work for the current best quality printers and scanners. I work at a place that sells surveying and drafting gear, including 3d scanners and printers. I can't guarantee good prices (I'm not in the sales side) and we might be restricted to selling in the California market for some products. I just know that a few of the systems we sell cost way more than our cars do. But if you're serious, send me a PM and I can do some homework for you.

96 Polo Green - Daily Driver
92 Teal Green - Restoration in progress
Old 05-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

While I don't have access to a 3D scanner, several of my coworkers have built 3D printers and put them to good use. I designed a retractable landing gear for my RC float plane and had one of them print it off for me (see attachments).

I'm waiting for this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ody-3d-printer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150324_073226.jpg (369.6 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150324_073249.jpg (318.4 KB, 258 views)

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-02-2015, 09:03 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
While I don't have access to a 3D scanner, several of my coworkers have built 3D printers and put them to good use. I designed a retractable landing gear for my RC float plane and had one of them print it off for me (see attachments).

I'm waiting for this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ody-3d-printer
they built their own machine? could they make another for sell? how much?
i am seriously considering this for my own use and it would be useful for the club. i don't think a scanner is necessary just an engineer on board. I'm sure I could get my brother to help. He was the one who showed me the first pictures of an svx when I was about to get my driving licence. I fell in love.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 05-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
they built their own machine? could they make another for sell? how much?
i am seriously considering this for my own use and it would be useful for the club. i don't think a scanner is necessary just an engineer on board. I'm sure I could get my brother to help. He was the one who showed me the first pictures of an svx when I was about to get my driving licence. I fell in love.
3D printer kits are actually getting quite common. One of my friends has a MendelMax 1.5:

Another has a DeltaBot, which is my personal favorite for the cool factor. It's also the style of the Tiko printer I linked above.

You can pick up a printer for anywhere from $300 and up. The Tiko printer is promised for $180 on kickstarter which will be an absolute bargain.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-04-2015, 05:36 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

This would have so many great uses, all of the body clips alone. I think I posted about this a couple years ago. These parts once unavailable are going to cause a huge problem for us. I'd be willing to kick in for one. I'm building a list in my head of all the broken plastic pieces I have replaced. If it could be painted to match interior parts we'd really be in business.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-04-2015, 06:44 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I wish there was a 3D scanner in that price range. Someone with a part out could save a file of the part and then we could have a large library.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

I have to say...a 3D print file repository here on the club would be a BRILLIANT idea!!

The way the prices are dropping, I could easily see the printers being quite common in the next 10 years. The sooner, the better IMO. Even if we don't all have a printer, if some of us did I'm sure we could help others in the club get the little parts (like those blasted clips) that we all need quite easily.

I like where this is going!
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.