Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: STeeL's built motor/turbo build

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Thanks LAN! I'll check that out.

Also, I think I've mentioned before that I can't get the two sensors out of my old oil pump and I'm not sure how to go about it without damaging them, so I was like oh well I'll just buy new ones while I was buying those bolts I was missing and that new valve (I at least *think* I bought the right one..), where I saw those sensors are 174 dollars each... Now I'm depressed again haha
sensors=suck they are always mad expensive
Old 10-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

bump for updates
Old 10-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Sorry, I've been majorly slow lately. I had a scare with my transmission where the guy told the guy who referred him to me (since I didn't get his number, guess he lost mine) that something came up and he couldn't fix it... Then after calling him several times over the next two weeks he wasn't returning my calls. Luckily though he did call me back last week and said he was going to do it still since I told him I'm in no real rush, motor still isn't back together yet... And rather than buy my clutch I'm debating buying another SVX next weekend... Like I really need ANOTHER project car haha.

I'll let you know when something major happens. It sucks to be so close to finishing and just kinda waiting around for parts for weeks. Next free day I get maybe I'll try and tackle some more engine work.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 PM

i figured you would have beat me but my motor is already built and my tranny rebuilt, im almost ready to throw it in and start it up on stock ecu for now
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM

YOU SUCK!

It's been a crazy summer to say the least. I'll get there one of these days..
Old 12-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Just reporting to report that I have nothing to report... My father died in November and I've been trying to handle all the mess that comes along with that ever since.

Got a hold of the guy with my trans the other day who told me he still has yet to do anything on it... I asked him if he expected it to take longer than a month for him to get to at this point cause if so I'm just going to come get the goddamn thing and mail it to Andrewtech like I should have done 5 months ago... He said he'd "let me know" as it got closer.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:12 AM

im sorry for your loss! that reallly sucks to hear man!

i built my trans in like 2 weeks, it really wasnt that hard, you need a shop press though... looks like you might catch back up to me since im most likely taking back apart my engine, it seems to be burning oil badly. SHAME on ME!
Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 AM

OMG! I DID SOMETHING! Not much, but progress is progress

First good news is you may or may not remember but I bought a 92 caged, 5 speed 92 SVX track car with a spare motor here a few months back. Thought it'd be a fun car to play around in and I may could use some the spare parts to save me some time and money, mainly I had in mind the 400+ dollars worth of sensors in the oil pump which mine seems to be fused in permanently. I was disheartened to see the spare motor didnt come with an oil pump a long time ago, so I'd given up hope.. but today while going through all the bags of unsorted odds and ends that came with the car I managed to find just the sensors I needed =)

The motor is for all purposes complete, I just need to tension the belt (timing is set) and put on the intake and exhaust manifolds and valve covers. As you may remember I got stuck on replacing several of the broken hoses on the intake manifold, had no clue where they went. I had nothing but time this morning so I set about finding all the pictures I could of the bottom of the intake and went to work. I found that the reason I was so confused is because there were two valves missing from the intake. I went around and looked from them to no luck for a while, before making the correct assumption that I probably took the lazy way out and they're still connected to the harness

So now, it looks like everything is hooked up on the bottom WITH THE EXCEPTION OF:

The big black box (vacuum tank) has at least one broken nipple ($55 dollars on Subaruparts)
The valve beside it (purge control solonoid) has BOTH nipples broken off... ($130 part...)

I was hoping you guys could give me some good news and say I don't really need these parts. I saw a post while searching from LAN that suggest the PCV one way valve closes when it detected positive pressure... Which I'm going to have running a turbo. Any of you turbo guys have any info on this?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Registered SVX

I hope that purge control solenoid is not too important, when I got my car the hose going from the front side of the throttle body down under the intake was so bad I removed it from the nipple and it broke the nipple on the purge control, I ended up plugging off that top nipple and and running it as it is.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
OMG! I DID SOMETHING! Not much, but progress is progress

First good news is you may or may not remember but I bought a 92 caged, 5 speed 92 SVX track car with a spare motor here a few months back. Thought it'd be a fun car to play around in and I may could use some the spare parts to save me some time and money, mainly I had in mind the 400+ dollars worth of sensors in the oil pump which mine seems to be fused in permanently. I was disheartened to see the spare motor didnt come with an oil pump a long time ago, so I'd given up hope.. but today while going through all the bags of unsorted odds and ends that came with the car I managed to find just the sensors I needed =)

The motor is for all purposes complete, I just need to tension the belt (timing is set) and put on the intake and exhaust manifolds and valve covers. As you may remember I got stuck on replacing several of the broken hoses on the intake manifold, had no clue where they went. I had nothing but time this morning so I set about finding all the pictures I could of the bottom of the intake and went to work. I found that the reason I was so confused is because there were two valves missing from the intake. I went around and looked from them to no luck for a while, before making the correct assumption that I probably took the lazy way out and they're still connected to the harness

So now, it looks like everything is hooked up on the bottom WITH THE EXCEPTION OF:

The big black box (vacuum tank) has at least one broken nipple ($55 dollars on Subaruparts)
The valve beside it (purge control solonoid) has BOTH nipples broken off... ($130 part...)

I was hoping you guys could give me some good news and say I don't really need these parts. I saw a post while searching from LAN that suggest the PCV one way valve closes when it detected positive pressure... Which I'm going to have running a turbo. Any of you turbo guys have any info on this?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM

I need some help on this purge control solenoid thingy. I've spent about an hour going through and following all the lines to see if I can remove it. Best I can conclude, the purge control solenoid has the two plastic nipples (both of mine are broken), CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, but I believe one goes to the charcoal canister (specifically the upper metal hose, with the lower going to to the fuel tank) while the other nipple goes up and connects here as seen in this photo taken by Icingdeath.

Assuming all that is true and correct, and I remove my charcoal canister (its already removed from my white car), then in theory this valve would serve no purpose and I could save myself 130 dollars by not replacing it... Right? My only issue with that is that of course it has a harness plug going into it... That would probably cause some issues if it were unplugged. I can't recirculate it back on itself since the connections are broken off. Any advice?

The PCV I finally understand and I'll be ditching it later today when I can run by Auto Zone.

Last edited by STeeL25T; 01-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yea mine is running fine with that line blocked off and the charcoal canister removed. It's still plugged in though.

Also, that's not my pic, I stole it from an older thread and added the arrow.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Registered SVX

I imagine if it was unplugged it would interrupt the current in the circuit by leaving it open. Probably would throw a CEL. No idea if you could close the circuit physically on the harness to trick the ECU into thinking it was still functioning properly. But, even with the nipples broken off, you should be able to block them, and plug the harness into the solenoid.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 PM

I put in an order for a handful of parts this morning, seems like pretty much everything that was removed from the car already when I bought it has its bolts magically missing... So I have some new ones for the timing belt tensioner and the water pump outlet, as well as a new vacuum tank... Though really I'm not sure why since keeping the IRIS in may not help me out any when the turbo goes on.

Guess I'll take a break again til those arrive. I may take this time to paint my valve covers and go ahead and install those, however the can says it should be used in temperatures over 60 degrees.... And right now we have 6 inchs of snow on the ground

I feel like I'm getting really close to the end, yet really until my trans situation is resolved I'll still be dead in the water.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM

As of 10 minutes ago:

Quick question... I see that the timing belt tentioners mounting holes are kinda flat top oval shaped that let it slide left and right when the bolts are tightened... Do you want to tighten them down all the way to the left or all the way to the right?

The massive tube sticking out the back is for the crankcase breather, I'll cut it to an acceptable length when I get everything settled where its supposed to go back there.

Few other very minor things keeping me from doing anything else, but I'll handle those next time I run to the parts store. I've made enough already for one day haha

Last edited by STeeL25T; 01-26-2011 at 03:49 PM.