Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T
Re: STeeL's built motor/turbo build

What exactly do you want to see pictures of?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
It will spit a couple drops of fluid from the bleeder and you can hear some air come out every now and again, but nothing significant and the pedal still buries itself in the floor... No movement at all at the clutch fork. Hmm...
You probably have some air still in the system. How much lower does the slave sit compared to the master? I do not know where exactly the slave is.... if there is a height difference, gravity bleed the system by leaving the bleeder open for long enough to get a nice even flow thru the system (also leave the reservoir open). Make sure you do not starve the reservoir. Catch the fuild and make sure that you let it run at least the full volume of the whole system.

If there's not enough "head" in the system (height difference) you have to make a pressure bleeder from an old reservoir cap. Drill a hole in it and pull a tubeless tire valve body thru it (no valve inside). Screw the cap on and use a pressure source gently to force a fuild flow thru the system. This will bleed the whole thing including the master cylinder in no time at all. Remember not to starve the reservoir again.

If this doesn't help I have had the return spring broken in the master cylinder bore.... the piston will not return far enough to get "a refill" from the reservoir.

I have an old Rover from 1975 which can not be bled by the conventional pump-method.... but will gravity bleed while you have your coffee . My old faithfull Saab 9000 turbo had to be pressure bled, so I made the system discribed above.

Good luck,

Tapani
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM

Registered SVX

One more thing to check... the push rod from the pedal to the master cylinder piston has to be of correct length as Ice discribed below.... if is too long the master cyl piston will not return far enough (fully against the circlip) and again the master will not get "a refill". The small hole from the resevoir to the cylinder will be blocked by the seal lip.

See if the push rod is adjustable and make sure there is a small dead movement before the push rod touches the piston (pedal fully retracted). The fully retracted pedal position might also be adjustable....

If this is your problem you need to bleed the system properly after fixing it.

Tapani
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
What exactly do you want to see pictures of?
Whatever you want to take pictures of, man.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM

Something I just thought of: I disconnected the old slave clyinder over a week ago and the cylinder has still been holding fluid in it this whole time with the line just hanging. No real fluid every came out of the line when it was disconnected.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Something I just thought of: I disconnected the old slave clyinder over a week ago and the cylinder has still been holding fluid in it this whole time with the line just hanging. No real fluid every came out of the line when it was disconnected.
You mean the master? This points toward the pushrod being too long.... or the cap is too tight i.e. vent hole plugged.... or the internal return spring broken.

You might be able to see the feed hole in the bottom of the reservoir.... or if it is blocked by the seal lip - piston not in a fully returned position.

Tapani
Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 AM

Everything we have tried is getting us no where, so I ordered a new master cylinder. Should be here tomorrow... Let's see if it helps.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Registered SVX

Have you tried bleeding the master only? Do you get flow if you disconnect the line from the master? I have had to bleed the master separately in my hand (1982 Range Rover)... with the outlet pointing a bit upwards... cover the connection with your finger and then bleed by using you finger as "a bleed screw" .

Tapani
Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 AM

We disconnected the line from the master, sucked all the fluid out of it the scraped around the bottom with a hook then refilled, and then finally hooked it all back up and attached a power bleeder on an air compressor on the slave and still got nothing out of it.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Registered SVX

The power bleeder sucks thru the whole system, correct? You have a new master on the way, but one thing is to check if you can get a flow from the master only.... Did you disconnect the push rod to make sure it returns all the way? The master can be taken apart too... The return spring can be broken. Another issue to check: The flexible hose might have collapsed internally totally blocking it. That's happened too. Tapani
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 AM

Made some progress! .. How much I'm not exactly sure yet.

I removed the old master cylinder and put in a new Autozone one with a lifetime warranty, which sucked a very large amount to install. It still isn't completley bolted to the firewall as for whatever reason one of the bolt has the tip broken off of it and won't thread and the other just feels like its spinning.

Anywho, with this new one I instantly noticed an improvment. It's now dumping out plenty of fluid from the bleeder (I left covered in the stuff..) and the slave cylinder is moving and moving like a boss. We got to a point though where the pressure just like of plateaued and wasn't getting any better even if we bled it 4 more times after. It makes the pedal raise to about the level of where my brake pedal is now, but it will still pull up a good bit higher if you put your foot under it and pull up. I noticed the large cap on the bottom of the master was not tight and letting fluid out of there... In the car it appears to be almost impossible to get a set of channel locks around it to tighten it but I got it to move maybe a milimeter and it's at least leaking less now.

Any who I thought I would see if the car would at least more an inch under its own power since the slave was working even if the pedal was not ideal. Getting the car on the ground for the first time with an engine in it.. Doesn't look right. The front end of the car is lower than my knees. Some of this I attribute to low tires but I don't think all of it. But the moral of this story is when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't start.... No clicking at all.. So I gotta look at it again in the day light. I suspect wires are messed up on my relay or my battery is low since I accidently left the cables on it last Sunday.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM

Guess whos little girl crossed the street all by herself today? They grow up so fast #proudparent

Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 AM

Congratulations, I'll bet that feels good!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 AM

It felt amazing. I did the math and figured I've owned this car for 3 years, 1 month, and 21 days before I ever got to drive it... So it's been long over due

Some known issues so far:

- No speedometer, which I expected since I don't have a speed sensor in my transmission haha. Think I could buy a used SVX one here and have it work in the WRX trans? I think I remember that as being what people normally do.

- Issues with my rear lights. I traded for SolarSVX's LED tail lights but they don't quite fit into the car, the opening isn't quite big enough so I need to take a dremel or something to it to figure out how those are working. Have not checked my reverse lights but I assume they don't work because I don't think they wires on the trans are hooked to anything. The two brake lights in the center for some reason glow even when the lights are off and the key is removed. Only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery.

Gotta get my exhaust on better and sealed up correctly. I think I'm going to redo the front passenger side of my power steering lines with new hoses because there is always a puddle under my car there every time I look at it. I need to experiment with it some more and see what all it does and doesn't do. And it needs tires and a bath like crazy.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Bad news, as I feared would show up sooner or later knowing my luck.... Car appears to be down again in a bad way. Not exactly sure why.

Attempting to take it on my first drive across town I saw it was getting hot before I ever left my neighborhood, took it back home and saw the radiator was nearly empty. Added 6 or 7 cups of water before it filled up and it was boiling by that point.

The next day it tried to start it it was making a constant tapping noise... I can't tell from where but it sounds to me like flywheel or clutch, hopefully not rods... The power steering pump was also making noise and I figure my constant leak must have made the fluid low so I went ahead and pulled out the radiator for more room and replaces the two lines that were leaking with new hoses and clamps and refilled the pump with some better quaility fluid with StopLeak, then reinstalled the radiator with my new silicone hoses and filled it to the top with water again. Next time I started the car it was still tapping, then turned it off and back on and the sound was gone, so I drove it across town to have dinner with some friends. Shound note that this dayh my idle was much lower, about 500 or a little higher. When I left it was tapping again but driving without any other problem I know of, I took a video of the sound it was making while driving but my exhaust leak drowns it out for almost all of it. When I pull up in the driveway the idle is low enough for it to die on its own when I stop, but I leave it for the day.

I come back the next day and it starts up twice without moving, the tapping is worse than before and the car won't idle for crap. Then the third time, nothing. Car won't start. The fuel pump is on, the starter goes, but it just kind of makes a thud every time it turns and the car never starts. I thought it was ruined at this point, but I try it the next day and again it starts first try but dies shortly and won't start again. Thud thud thud. At a friends suggestion I went and installed a new fuel filter yesterday and dumped some injector cleaner in the gas tank. Again, it started up first try, ran for about 3 seconds, died, wouldn't start again.

Sorry for the long story, but that's been my depressing weekend. I can only imagine something bad has happened..