Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM

Re: The beginnings of a Megasquirt how-to guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
Why not buy the diy bob and make your ecu 100% plug and play so you can jusst swap them back and forth as you sort **** out and still drive to work?
Because the wiring is different. I'd need to add wires to the stock harness for the IAT, and some more wires for the ignition. A second harness is the way to go.

And they're friggin $90. Eff that noise. For that much, I'll just hack up my spare stock ECU and use the connector from it like they do for the "DIY megasquirt inside stock ECU case" threads.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 AM

pretty sure due to it having 2 electromagnets it's able to act as a stepper motor, by energizing one coil more than the other it can turn in small increments. Or it can hold a position.

Not sure why it isn't a spring/always closed or always open then controlled to idle the car as that would be less complex. Then again, subaru did a lot of things in a complicated way such as the window regulator system haha.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
Because the wiring is different. I'd need to add wires to the stock harness for the IAT, and some more wires for the ignition. A second harness is the way to go.

And they're friggin $90. Eff that noise. For that much, I'll just hack up my spare stock ECU and use the connector from it like they do for the "DIY megasquirt inside stock ECU case" threads.

Wait, you can't use the stock harness/plug to work with the IAT? Doesn't the MAF send the reading through one of the 4/5 wires?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

My friend suggests that you carefully check post 117, where the IACV is carefully described in detail, and note that:-

Only a single inductor is involved, fitted with dual windings, one in reverse of the other. In this way two voltages of the same polarity enable open and closed operation.

There is no return spring. The use of a permanent solenoid magnet retains a rotary solenoid in a mean central rest position and enables two variable voltages to move, position and hold the solenoid valve at any desired point, towards open or closed. This arrangement also insurers no voltage, fail safe operation.

A balanced pair of NPN and PNP transistors within the TCU, allow a single control voltage, to swing the supply voltage, towards either of the open or closed solenoid windings, via their ground circuits.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
My friend Trevor suggests that you carefully check post 117, where the IACV is carefully described in detail, and note that:-

Only a single inductor is involved, fitted with dual windings, one in reverse of the other. In this way two voltages of the same polarity enable open and closed operation.

There is no return spring. The use of a permanent solenoid magnet retains a rotary solenoid in a mean central rest position and enables two variable voltages to move, position and hold the solenoid valve at any desired point, towards open or closed. This arrangement also insurers no voltage, fail safe operation.

A balanced pair of NPN and PNP transistors within the TCU, allow a single control voltage, to swing the supply voltage, towards either of the open or closed solenoid windings, via their ground circuits.
He was wrong then and is still wrong.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Picked up a spare motor with an engine wiring harness today, which means I get to bench test And that I've got a spare IACV to test.

Obligatory funny picture (Click for fullsize, or use Firefox/chrome with the Thumbnail zoom/Hoverzoom add-on because it will change the way you internet):
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM

where'd you snag that brute from?

I need an engine stand
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
He was wrong then and is still wrong.

Harvey.
Hello Harvey, I am simply a messenger, and you are ALL my friends without differentiation.

Trevor sends this message: "The accused invites those who are interested in facts to make contact by email. ---

ralphmedway@gmail/.com"

Play it nice, we look up to you guys!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Wait, you can't use the stock harness/plug to work with the IAT? Doesn't the MAF send the reading through one of the 4/5 wires?
You can hijack one of the MAF wires to run the signal from the IAT, but you will have to cut off the MAF plug to get at the wire. Not for a PNP setup.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM

Why would you have to do that, why not tap into the signal wire instead? I did it as my 'map' reference wire to my phase 2 4eat transmission. Works like a charm.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 PM

Registered SVX

You mean use the signal from the MAF as the IAT sensor? I'm not understanding what you mean.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 PM

Exactly, doesn't the MAF measure 2 things. Air flow AND air temp? Can't you use the air temp sensor's output and jack into it for the MS?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Exactly, doesn't the MAF measure 2 things. Air flow AND air temp? Can't you use the air temp sensor's output and jack into it for the MS?
I don't think it works like that. If you had the MAF voltage/airflow calibration curve for our MAF, you could use the MAF directly instead of the MAP/IAT sensors with the Megasquirt. (At least with the MS3X I know it can be done, not sure about the MS2, but I'd be surprised if not.) But I don't think you can get air temp data from the MAF like that.

What I was trying to say you could do with the wiring is splice a connector for an IAT sensor. (I used the GM one.) To save the trouble of running new wiring all the way up there and being able use a pin on the stock ECU plug.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 AM

The MS2/Extra does have MAF options. I don't remember off the top of my head but I know one is MAF/MAP, and possibly a MAF all by itself.

That being said, a hot-wire MAF works on temperature to measure flow. It heats the wire to a known temperature, then measures how much energy it takes to keep that wire at that temperature. The air goes past the wire, which cools it. The MAF heats up the wire again, and that voltage is DIRECTLY related to how much air went past the element. This is how a MAF works.

It does not have an air temp sensor like you think it does. (Or at least I haven't seen one).
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM

Hm, there are 2 sensors on our maf's, I thought one was ambient air temp sensor. Maybe I'm wrong.