Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Registered SVX
Re: The beginnings of a Megasquirt how-to guide

It can be done easily. Why limit yourself by using the stock ignitor that will only work with a handful of coils, instead of using the MS2 to drive ANY coil you would want to swap onto it.

Obviously my first post was aimed at the stock ignitor, and not any ignitor. I simply stated that the MS2 can do it, and it can.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Found an MS2 system for 300 shipped on ebay.
Looking more and more likely that's what I'll go with...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
Found an MS2 system for 300 shipped on ebay.
Looking more and more likely that's what I'll go with...
Just be wary, and make sure you get a jimstim or megasim or whatnot so that you can bench test it upon arrival. I imagine that there are a lot of kids out there who decided they wanted one, tried putting it together, and didn't realize that capacitors/diodes/etc have polarity, or didn't think that resistor codes were important/etc.

Hell, I tested mine in the parking lot when I got mine.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
It can be done easily. Why limit yourself by using the stock ignitor that will only work with a handful of coils, instead of using the MS2 to drive ANY coil you would want to swap onto it.

Obviously my first post was aimed at the stock ignitor, and not any ignitor. I simply stated that the MS2 can do it, and it can.
No, your first post said that you can use the MS2 to drive the stock coils without an ignitor, and you can't, at least not out of the box. You need to either use the stock ignitor, add ignitors inside the MS2 case, use smart coils, or some other ignitor, but there definitely needs to be one.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM

It's direct from diypnp, in kit form.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
It's direct from diypnp, in kit form.
Make sure the DIYPNP kit comes with the nippon denso 76 pin adapter: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...kit-p-384.html
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You should be able to batch fire our coils directly from the MS2 and not need to use the ignitor.
How do you go from "and not need to use the ignitor" to "My first post was aimed at the stock ignitor"?

The megasquirt will not handle "any" coil (or most, if not all coils). It will however handle "any" ignitor. The stock ignitor included.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Make sure the DIYPNP kit comes with the nippon denso 76 pin adapter: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...kit-p-384.html
it is . The only thing I'd need to buy is the 60$ diybob board. So it would be the same price for the AEM FIC6, or for a complete standalone. The major difference is the fic6 would be easier to tune. haha.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
it is . The only thing I'd need to buy is the 60$ diybob board. So it would be the same price for the AEM FIC6, or for a complete standalone. The major difference is the fic6 would be easier to tune. haha.
No, I think the DIY PNP boards are meant to plug straight into the stock ECU plugs. Like the BOB and ECU combined in the same case. But you should double check that.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Ah, I thought earlier in your thread we discussed this and you said I'd need a diybob to make it truly plug and play?

Now I'm I really need to call diy and ask'em exactly what I need to make it pnp.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ah, I thought earlier in your thread we discussed this and you said I'd need a diybob to make it truly plug and play?

Now I'm I really need to call diy and ask'em exactly what I need to make it pnp.
Take a closer look at the DIYPNP kits. I thought they were the MS2 ECU + DIYBOB sold as a package, but it looks like they're combined in one case.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM

Yer correct.

'OEM ECU Connector to plug right into the factory harness!'
Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
How do you go from "and not need to use the ignitor" to "My first post was aimed at the stock ignitor"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
This. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to get MS2 to output 6 coil signals. I don't want to use the wasted spark because I'm not sure that the stock ignitor can handle that much current without some sort of ground upgrade. There are lots of options out there though if I can't get it working.

Also, as I hear, the signal should be set to Inverted(High), correct? At less than 5ms, and around 2.3ms for dwell (or is it duration?)

Worst-case scenario: EDIS6
The megasquirt will not handle "any" coil (or most, if not all coils). It will however handle "any" ignitor. The stock ignitor included.
Quote:
You should be able to batch fire our coils directly from the MS2 and not need to use the ignitor.
Since you guys are more interested in bashing me instead of taking anything I say into consideration here you go. My reply did mean the stock ignitor, and I did not say without any ignitor. I even went so far as to point out where it is. I guess you guys know everything and "you got this".
Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 PM

hey wow there charley, no bashing going on.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
hey wow there charley, no bashing going on.
To paraphrase:

Hey guys i wanna do this thing.

-Hey, you can do this.

Nuh uh.

-Yeah, let me look for it.
-Oh, here it is.

That's not exactly what you said!

-You can do it.

You didn't exactly say that thing I said.

-Screw you guys, I'm going home.