IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Ahh, yup, you poked a sore spot:

Comparing going 142 MPh on a public road to going 142 mph on track is bull****. Then you go and say "no one drives well at 142 mph"

First define safe. Technically driving at any speed could be considered "not safe". I mean who knows, maybe going 15 mph down a residential street is not safe, as you could get rear ended, or have a kid jump out of a bush RIGHT in front of your car. Safe is relative, and specific to each persons acceptance of risk. Second, I have HUGE issues with you throwing a blanket statement out saying that no one can drive well at 142 mph. Tell that to any of the F1 drivers who are within a couple hundreths of a second for 20 laps in a row (with an AVERAGE lap speed of between 100 and 150 mph). DO NOT try and compare public roads and closed road courses to each other as it is quite ignorant. (almost as ignorant as thinking that all racing is for rednecks)

Anyone can play the "what if" game. What if a deer jumped out onto the road, what if a vagrant transvestite is laying in the middle of the lane... People should take it upon themselves to determine what risks are worth taking, and which aren't. Part of the risk that the kid chose to accept when going 142 mph is the risk of getting a speeding ticket, or losing his license, or hitting something. If he increases risks for those vehicles around him, then there is an issue. For all you know, it was an empty closed access highway without a car in sight. Don't ASSume things that are not negligible.
Ok... Lets put it this way. How many F1 races have you seen with accidents and how many F1 races made it through without 1 solitary car losing control?

It's logic. It's physics. No one drives safely at 140 plus mph. No one. They may get lucky, but that luck runs out with the odds. And every single Nascar, or F1 race proves that every single time. We could go with well, only one or two loses control at a Nascar, but how many cars do they usually take with them?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Part of the risk that the kid chose to accept when going 142 mph is the risk of getting a speeding ticket, or losing his license, or hitting something. If he increases risks for those vehicles around him, then there is an issue. For all you know, it was an empty closed access highway without a car in sight. Don't ASSume things that are not negligible.
And I don't have to even be on the same road for my insurance to go up, if he and other's like him plow through a few guard rails. It isn't safe at that speed.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-15-2006, 02:56 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
It's logic. It's physics. No one drives safely at 140 plus mph. No one. They may get lucky, but that luck runs out with the odds.
I have to agree fully here, I will admit, There were a few times, at 3am in the morning, on good ole i295, I'll push the girl alittle high. How High I wont get into.
Now, lets face it, cars are made to cruse at highway speeds (70mph), some can do it nicely and safer at 90mph - 100mph, but not totaly "safe"...
also anything higher is asking for a mishap. Just think of hitting that slight bump on the highway at that speed?

If you were on a track, where there are regulations of how clear the track must be of trash, etc... it is SAFER, but defantly not safe by any standards.
Races are ment to push the driver, not for the drivers to go on a safe cruse around the track.

Lets face it, If it was "safe" to even push 100mph, don't you think the US interstates would allow for this speed?

Quote:
For all you know, it was an empty closed access highway without a car in sight.
Good Point, But what about Property Damage? Looses Control and takes out 100ft of fence, or more?
If he was getting home so his parents wouldn't be mad, who do you think is paying for the car? Who do you think Owns it?
Plus, You can't ignore the Insurance prices that have jumped because of things like this, and who pays for it?
Everyone with Insurance, thats who.

Just my 2 cents

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)

Last edited by nsm484; 12-15-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:42 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Ok... Lets put it this way. How many F1 races have you seen with accidents and how many F1 races made it through without 1 solitary car losing control?

It's logic. It's physics. No one drives safely at 140 plus mph. No one. They may get lucky, but that luck runs out with the odds. And every single Nascar, or F1 race proves that every single time. We could go with well, only one or two loses control at a Nascar, but how many cars do they usually take with them?

I don't know about that one....Jimmie #48 drives pretty well at over 180...Nextel Cup champion!!! Guys are getting into accidents because they are inches apart at speeds well over 170mph with warn tires and taking the air off the backs of their spoilers to wiggle them loose..that's how they loose control...It's racing....Now put a car over 140 mph on the track with other cars going slower and not fighting for positions and you have a pretty good chance there will be a clean race.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Now put a car over 140 mph on the track with other cars going slower and not fighting for positions and you have a pretty good chance there will be a clean race.
Now put a 17yr old driver behind the wheel of each car, and their angry parents at the finish line, and watch the carnage unfold!

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-15-2006, 10:23 AM

i would be less afraid of the legal aspect. my mother would KILL me if i ever pulled something like that

i don't think his parent would care if he was hours late...as long as they didn't have to attend his funneral...but at 17, you don't think like that. a phone call is all it would take.

speed doesn't kill drivers kill...sober, sane, speed abiding, drivers with 20 years of experience kill people

all it takes is one fraction of a second of not paying attention.
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHISVX
all it takes is one fraction of a second of not paying attention.
Im sorry, what were you saying?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
From the Denver Post
Quote:
142-mph Teen's Car for Sale
By The Associated Press
Article Last Updated:12/14/2006 03:21:53 PM MST

An Indiana teenager who said he was driving 142 mph because he didn't want to get home late has put the Subaru Impreza he was driving up for sale.

"Several people expressed an interest," said the teen's mother, Cindy Raap. "That kind of concerns me."

Brandon D. Raap, 16, faces speeding and misdemeanor reckless driving charges and could have his license suspended after being stopped at 12:40 a.m. Saturday along a rural stretch of U.S. 30 near Valparaiso, police said.

The parents said in a written statement that their son made a "horrible choice" when he took his passion for racing to a local highway.

"We are grateful that this story will end with severe legal punishment rather than deadly consequences," Dan and Cindy Raap wrote.

The Raaps released the statement to explain their son is a "wonderful young man" who wants to be a race car driver but made a mistake. They said he accepts the consequences of his actions.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 12-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
BAHAHAHA! I seem to remember seeing someone predicting that in one of the first posts of this thread...

My opinion on driving is basically that people are going to do stupid things. Lets face it, people are going to drive fast. People are going to do it in poor conditions. Blah blah blah. And who here can honestly say they haven't driven at a fir chunk over the speed limit? I can't. If someone wants to take their own life in their hands and do something stupid, there isn't much I can do to stop them. As long as they do it in a way that does not endanger others. I was passed the other day by a Dodge Ram SRT-10. I was already going about 125-130. He passed me like I wasn't moving. I have never in my life had something go by me so fast, probably something like double what I was doing. It's very unnerving.

I can't stop someone being stupid, but they better not be stupid around other people.

On the safety side of things, I fly gliders for Air Cadets here. We have one of the safest operations on the planet, mostly because we're obsesive about it. We got into a discusion about safety measures once, and someone said:

"Listen, I know a way to guarantee you that there will never again be a plane crash. Lock all the planes in the hangars and never use them again."

If we did that there wouldn't be a whole lot accomplished. You can take safety to the n'th degree, but that starts to prevent basic things from being done. So you try to strike a balance. That's what speed limits are all about, getting people places as fast as possible SAFELY.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Raap on the knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3
From the Denver Post
This:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...list/40466.jpg

would be an appropriate vehicle to replace the Impreza.

Teach him a lesson for bringing all that publicity on us law-abiding Subaru-owning folks!!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
This:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...list/40466.jpg

would be an appropriate vehicle to replace the Impreza.

Teach him a lesson for bringing all that publicity on us law-abiding Subaru-owning folks!!

Joe
buhahahahah... I would pay stright cash to have the parents replace the
car in the middle of the night, and see that kids face the next day! bauahhaha

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 12-16-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
I was passed the other day by a Dodge Ram SRT-10. I was already going about 125-130. He passed me like I wasn't moving. I have never in my life had something go by me so fast, probably something like double what I was doing. It's very unnerving.
Driving home from Atlanta last Saturday evening on a 90-some-mile stretch of interstate/divided highway (at a brisk pace but definitely not 125-130), I recall being overtaken by three vehicles: Pickups all. Passed me as if I'd been dragging an anchor from Titanic. It needs to be said that while the teenage subject of this thread fits the general perception of one who speeds recklessly, my observation is these hammerheads who think they own the bleepin' road in their enormous AWD barges are the ones to watch.

dcb
Old 12-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Driving home from Atlanta last Saturday evening on a 90-some-mile stretch of interstate/divided highway (at a brisk pace but definitely not 125-130), I recall being overtaken by three vehicles: Pickups all. Passed me as if I'd been dragging an anchor from Titanic. It needs to be said that while the teenage subject of this thread fits the general perception of one who speeds recklessly, my observation is these hammerheads who think they own the bleepin' road in their enormous AWD barges are the ones to watch.

dcb
Very, very true. Nothing scarier than seeing a full-size pickup OR tractor trailer haulin' butt at 100+mph down the highway. Those 'barges' can't stop on a dime, and can take out trees/medians/barriers if they lose control.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-16-2006, 11:18 AM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
"142-mph Teen's Car for Sale
By The Associated Press
Article Last Updated:12/14/2006 03:21:53 PM MST

An Indiana teenager who said he was driving 142 mph because he didn't want to get home late has put the Subaru Impreza he was driving up for sale.

"Several people expressed an interest," said the teen's mother, Cindy Raap. "That kind of concerns me."

Brandon D. Raap, 16, faces speeding and misdemeanor reckless driving charges and could have his license suspended after being stopped at 12:40 a.m. Saturday along a rural stretch of U.S. 30 near Valparaiso, police said.

The parents said in a written statement that their son made a "horrible choice" when he took his passion for racing to a local highway.

"We are grateful that this story will end with severe legal punishment rather than deadly consequences," Dan and Cindy Raap wrote.

The Raaps released the statement to explain their son is a "wonderful young man" who wants to be a race car driver but made a mistake. They said he accepts the consequences of his actions. "

I didnt think they could mention a minors name in something like this???? This HAS been verified right? I didnt read it all so dont make me feel stupid PLEASE! I've just always heard them say the names are being with held because the teen was underage, kinda thing.....

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 12-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Just to clear something up, when I said I was going 125ish, I mean KPH, not MPH. So I was probably going a grand 75 mph or so. My car can't go 125 mph.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl