Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Registered SVX
Re: STeeL's built motor/turbo build

oh sorry I hope you can get something going that will work. Good luck
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Well that really sucks. Did you put the motor together or did a machine shop?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

A shop checked the clearances and did work on the block, but I put it together, with the help of a certified Subaru technician for most of it.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:37 PM

Just a quick question I've just thought of: Is it terribly difficult to pull the engine without pulling the transmission? A 92X/WRX one in this case. I've been thinking it needed to come out with the engine, but its fine where it is if I can just pull the motor and put a new one on it without a lot of extra work.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM

Registered SVX

Yea, it's very doable. Pay close attention to step 12 in this guide: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1301065
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 PM

Like icing said it is very doable. Be sure and remove the radiator for the clearance in the front. Once you get everything unbolted and the clutch fork separated there is enough room to slide the motor forward away from the transmission and lift it out while clearing the input shaft. This is how I do clutch jobs on all subarus. MUCH easier than moving the tranny to do the clutch, and you get a fresh coolant flush and the ability to replace the valve cover gaskets which always leak. On the 4 cylinders it also allows the valve clearance to be set and the plastic rear oil separator plate to be replaced with a metal one.

When you put it back in, a bottle jack under the front of the transmission will help to line up the input shaft. Once it is lined up just sock the motor home and bolt it to the transmission then get the motor mounts lined up and it is good to go. Be sure and setup the clutch and throwoutbearing correctly BEFORE putting the motor back in or you will be kicking yourself.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM

Registered SVX

If the oil smells badly like fuel you might want to drain it and see. Is there more oil now? Maybe it is diluted?

You may have a badly leaking injector or damaged O-ring washing one cylinder with fuel.

Just something to check before you pull the engine.

Tapani
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM

Oil and smoke like you mention is a heart breaking thing to come into on a new "Toy" that you've hand built yourself. So sorry to hear this.

You've been doing a great job so far. I've been really anxious to see this come about. Hoping to see some magic power numbers come of it.

I don't have an SVX but am really interested in these engines to repower my old 1820 lb./825kg. VW kit car. This is why I am interested in your build.

Can you imagine an engine like the one you've built installed into my project car?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM

That would be awesome

Here is a video of what the car was doing when you tried to start it last year.. I feel like it got slightly better later after resoldering the MAF, but I'm not sure. It isn't starting now unless I directly power the starter.. I think I may have blown the relay I had to wire to get the starter voltage correct after the 5 speed swap. Either that or I just don't remember exactly how it was wired..

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Nigh...O0036.mp4.html
Old 04-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Anyone have a suggestion on a good way to check and make sure all my injectors are working?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Registered SVX

Unplug them one by one and see whether anything changes. What kind of oil did you have in the motor for its first start?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM

I didn't spring for any break in oil. Just some off the shelf Penzoil I believe, yellow jug. I forget what kind.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Registered SVX

Maybe I missed it, but did you have stabilizer in the gas before storage? Do you use ethanol blended gas?
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 PM

I did not. The gas that first went into the motor was probably damn near varnish from sitting as long as it did. I know for sure once the problems started to occur we pumped all the gas out of the tank entirely and put in new 93 along with some additive for cleaning and changed the fuel filter. No change though. All our gas here has ethanol in it here, with very few exceptions.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM

One problem solved at least. With the new relay in place to regulate the voltage to the starter, it starts up first time every time again. It won't stay running longer than about 18 seconds without giving it any gas though. I made this video so you can sort of see what it's doing.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Nigh...e57e0.mp4.html

I tried unplugging just the first two injectors closest to the front on the left ride. The first one didn't seem to do much, the second one seemed to make it worse, so I thought I'd just try my luck with replacing that first injector. I have 5 of them still in the fuel rail off my spare engine. Well, 4 now.. I can't get the ****ers out of there without destroying them. Looked up a quick guide on removing them and the video says they should simply pull right out... Not happening. I couldn't pull out out with channel locks...