Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I discovered I'm not as smart as I think I am. Modifying the svx brackets to fit the grupe in motor mounts looked like more work than modifying the grupe in brackets so I modified the grupe in brackets. Installing them proved that was not a good idea. Even with the brackets milled and slotted so that the bolts fit into the bottom of the slots on the frame it raises the engine instead of lowering it. You have to modify the svx brackets.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Just some dude.

If propperly tuned you can pass an emissions test even without cats (so long as you have something on the pipes that looks like cats for when they look under the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny
Wouldn't that be kind of bad for emissions? I know it wouldn't be as bad as going catless, but it still isn't exactly good.

I know the whole point of doing this is for balls-to-the-wall performance, but a lot of people might be put off from doing this if they can't pass an emissions test. Just food for thought. I don't know what the e-test regulations are in other places, but here, my last one on my 92s will be due in 2013. Does every state that does mandatory e-testing have a cutoff date? If not, then it could clamp down considerably on sales.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Just some dude.

I brought the camera back from the shop today. I have some pictures of the install and of what not to do to the grupe n mounts.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Sucks learning the hard way huh?? Nice job, hope that you get everthing all settles.

Tom
Old 04-16-2006, 08:41 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Thumbs up

sucks, but looking good. Cant wait for you to finish it tomorrow
Old 04-17-2006, 06:05 AM
Just some dude.

I kept at it and got the svx brackets modified for the grupe n motor mounts. The driver's side is pretty straight forward. Because we aren't using spacers and the grupe n mounts are the same for both sides the passenger's side was more difficult. The solution I came up with was to retain the side and front bolt holes instead of front and back like on the driver's side. This has the added benefit of being very easy to install.

With the engine dropped to where it should be and the hose clamp installed I started the car. It idled without any blower rattle which is a good sign that I have the bypass design buttoned down. I had a pretty bad air leak because I had tried to use my old manifold gaskets instead of rtv'ing it. I knew I should have rtv'd it. The motor mount project has left we past exhaustion so I left the pulling and reinstalling of the manifold with rtv for a later date.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
[QUOTE=longassname] I had a pretty bad air leak because I had tried to use my old manifold gaskets instead of rtv'ing it. I knew I should have rtv'd it. The motor mount project has left we past exhaustion so I left the pulling and reinstalling of the manifold with rtv for a later date.

QUOTE]

I wonder if I might be leaking? My gaskets are good, but I didnt RTV them. I dont here anything when we rev the engine in the garage, and the boost gauge doesnt lead me to suspect that, but with power falling off when the gauge goes about 5 pounds make wonder.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Maniac modifier

why would they leak?? I am sure they can stand 8lbs of boost considering both Tom and Phil are using OEM gaskets. Plus, I didn't really like the idea of RTV getting hung up in a valve. I can honestly say that the OEM gaskets should hold 8lbs just fine

Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
We installed the same mounts in my car this past weekend. We didn't lower the engine though and used a 1/4" plate my dad had lying around modified to sandwich between the mount and the plate. No added washers required.

Those rear plate bolts are horrible to get to!!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Those rear plate bolts are *&%!!@#^ freeking unpossible to get to!!

Fixed your post.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Maniac modifier

I don't get it?? I have done 3 sets of these so far. 2 with the engine and trans still in the car and I haven't had much trouble of getting to the rear bolts

Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Then you must have tiny girly hands and use 2" long wrenches.

We dropped the exhaust and raised the engine as much as we could to swap those mounts.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Just some dude.

I don't know. On mine you can here it, the gasket makes a sound like a kazoo. Tom, you have to keep in mind that these manifolds have been cut into 3rds and welded back together. I welded them while bolted to the engine too stop them from pulling under the heat but you still can't expect them to come out perfectly flat. With that amount of heat there is going to be a little spring when they are unbolted. No big deal, with rtv they will seal up just fine but gaskets obviousliy aren't a safe bet.

[QUOTE=mikecg]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
I had a pretty bad air leak because I had tried to use my old manifold gaskets instead of rtv'ing it. I knew I should have rtv'd it. The motor mount project has left we past exhaustion so I left the pulling and reinstalling of the manifold with rtv for a later date.

QUOTE]

I wonder if I might be leaking? My gaskets are good, but I didnt RTV them. I dont here anything when we rev the engine in the garage, and the boost gauge doesnt lead me to suspect that, but with power falling off when the gauge goes about 5 pounds make wonder.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Maniac modifier

yeah Mike, I know the shrink effect all too well. Just figured that the new OEM gaskets would make up for any slack that was there easily. were you reusing an old one??

Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Just some dude.

Ya, I was reusing old gaskets. New gaskets would be better than old gaskets, obviously, but rtv is a sure bet. I'm removing and reinstalling the manifold tonight with rtv.