Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Well, I order a G-Tech Pro RR on Saturday. I should have it by Wednesday. I can actually run some tests, this weekend, with the software I still have sitting in my car and let you know the results.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I used Dan's when he wanted to do some before and after runs w/ his 5speed(still didn't do the afters ) They are really easy to work with and relatively consistant

Tom
Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 PM

Ran my Stage III car through inspection today. It passed the emissions test with no troubles.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Lover of Alcyones

Thats sweet it passed emissions. So the q' is, does it do anything? WAY noticable difference i hope>?

Had:
91 xt auto awd(lt blue)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(blue/white)
86 xt 2wd turbo 5sp(black)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5sp(silver/white)
89 xt AWD 5sp (white)
85 xt 4wd turbo 5 sp sold to Zukiru (silver)
86 xt turbo 2wd 5sp (silver/black)
Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Maniac modifier

what do you mean way noticeable?? performance or emissions

Tom
Old 04-02-2007, 09:33 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Ran my Stage III car through inspection today. It passed the emissions test with no troubles.
What kind of test do they run in NJ? What emissions are they measuring for? Do you know what the limits are and what the car got, or just that it passed?

Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions, but I am a certified emission inspector, and I have a professional curiosity to satisfy
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Maniac modifier

im not surprised it passed. Mike wrote the software so basically run like a stock car until it was under load. Since most NJinspection stations on have 2wd rollers they test it at a certain rpm under no load.... should pass as easily as any other svxw/ anECUtune chip

Tom
Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
im not surprised it passed. Mike wrote the software so basically run like a stock car until it was under load. Since most NJinspection stations on have 2wd rollers they test it at a certain rpm under no load.... should pass as easily as any other svxw/ anECUtune chip

Tom
That's the test procedure that I figured they'd use. In Ontario, it's probably the same test. It's called a "two-speed idle" test. They allow the car to warm up, then measure the emissions at 2500rpm for 60 seconds, let it drop back to idle and measure again. I don't think I've seen too many cars fail that test, even ones I know would fail the ASM2525 test.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.

1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!

1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-04-2007, 05:17 AM

Delaware doesnt have a load system. They test at idle, then have you bring the rpms up to 2500 and hold it there. Here are the results.

HC (PPM) : Low = 105, High = 30 (tolerace = 220 for both)
CO (%) : Low = 0.58, High = .46 (tolerace = 1.20 for both)
CO% + CO2% : Low = 15.18, High = 15.3
RPM Reading : Low = 681, High = 2477

They also test the fuel tank and cap for leaks.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Delaware doesnt have a load system. They test at idle, then have you bring the rpms up to 2500 and hold it there. Here are the results.

HC (PPM) : Low = 105, High = 30 (tolerace = 220 for both)
CO (%) : Low = 0.58, High = .46 (tolerace = 1.20 for both)
CO% + CO2% : Low = 15.18, High = 15.3
RPM Reading : Low = 681, High = 2477

They also test the fuel tank and cap for leaks.
Thanks. That's interesting. The numbers aren't too bad at all, though a little worse than what I got last time, but then, your car is putting down lots more power, so I guess it's worth it

In Ontario, we also test the fuel system integrity as part of the test. You wouldn't believe the number of people that get really mad when I tell them that they need a new gas cap.

The only real difference I see is that we measure for NOx in parts per million as well. The NOx limits are usually pretty lenient though. There are also special rules for "hot rods" which you'd think would benefit cars like this, but strangely, this supercharger system wouldn't qualify; the rules only consider the car a hot rod if it has had an engine swap to a configuration that was not available in that model in that year. There is also a loophole that allows cars with a salvage title (brand - rebuilt in Ontario) to have modified limits.

Most people assume that the program is nothing more than a cash grab by the government, when, here at least, they make just enough to break even. And for cleaner air, I say it's worth the couple extra bucks every other year.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny
In Ontario, we also test the fuel system integrity as part of the test. You wouldn't believe the number of people that get really mad when I tell them that they need a new gas cap..
No kidding. Stupid Taurus and it's expensive gas cap....I was more confused and irritated than mad.

I think I read somewhere that Subbies and other AWD vehicles are exempt in some places, due to unavailability of 4-wheels emissions dynos.

Only 4-5 more years before the SVX is exempt from e-testing! Unless they changed the 20 year rule.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 AM

The numbers may be a little higher due to my exhaust. I've done away with the entire factory exhaust. I'm using only 2 high flow Magnaflow CATs and run dual pipes all the way back to a flowmaster dual-in/dual-out muffler.

Going from 3 restrictive factory cats to 2 highflow aftermarket cats as got to make some differences, right?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
No kidding. Stupid Taurus and it's expensive gas cap....I was more confused and irritated than mad.

I think I read somewhere that Subbies and other AWD vehicles are exempt in some places, due to unavailability of 4-wheels emissions dynos.

Only 4-5 more years before the SVX is exempt from e-testing! Unless they changed the 20 year rule.
Yeah, for whatever reason, Ford products with the 3-prong cap get a bum deal; caps are like 30$. *shrug*

In Ontario, there are no testing exemptions based on vehicle type. Cars and trucks with Automaticly engaging 4-wheel drive (like Subarus, GM trucks with ATC 4x4 systems, and a bunch of others) and non-disengageable traction control (Mercedes Benz, some Jags, Porsches, etc), must still be tested, but use the aforementioned two-speed idle test procedure.

As far as I know, the 20-year exemption still applies, and similarly, new cars and light duty trucks don't need to be tested until they are 5 years old. Based on what I know about etests now, if you don't like to maintain the emissions controls on your car, don't buy a Cavalier, or any 1990s Mazda with a V6.

I apologise for rambling. This is a subject I know fairly well and can go on about at length because I enjoy it, but I know we're getting off topic.

Quote:
The numbers may be a little higher due to my exhaust. I've done away with the entire factory exhaust. I'm using only 2 high flow Magnaflow CATs and run dual pipes all the way back to a flowmaster dual-in/dual-out muffler.

Going from 3 restrictive factory cats to 2 highflow aftermarket cats as got to make some differences, right?
Yep, that would do it Still good to know that everything is safely within limits.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Maniac modifier

good to know Mike, why is your idle so low??? I have mine running close to 1,000 so the blower has no chnace to rattle

Tom
Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
good to know Mike, why is your idle so low??? I have mine running close to 1,000 so the blower has no chnace to rattle

Tom
I turned the idle back down. I need to bring it back up again. I was trying to find another way to bring the idle up without adjusting the cold idle at the same time. When I bring my warm idle up to were it needs to be for the s/c not to rattle, the cold idle jumps up to around 2000rpms. The car has started stalling at stops aain too.