Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
I'm not sure what phenolic spacers are, but the rest of the list look like the summary of what's been tried.
Phenolic spacers have been use on SVXi for quite a while, now.
What they are is a 1/3" thick insulating gasket seperating the upper intake manifold from the stacks, lessening the 200°f heat transfer into the intake manifold, from the intake stacks.
The more adventurous/determined amoung us have opted for another set of phenolic spacers seperating the intake stacks from the heads, doubling their efficiency!
This insulates the air passages to the engine, allowing a cooler air/fuel charge allowing more power.
I would have not have included it into the cooling system mods, as it does not actually cool the engine, but helps to keep the heat in the heads where heat belongs.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

i guess my reasoning for including it is basicly it is dealing with the transfer of heat which essentially is what we are doing with "cooling"
Old 05-14-2012, 03:08 AM

Guys you might want to watch this video he has the cooling under control.
http://www.bmsc.com.au/forums/rallyi...tml#post293128
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Guys you might want to watch this video he has the cooling under control.
http://www.bmsc.com.au/forums/rallyi...tml#post293128
Yeah, my cooling all sorted thanks to your help Tony. To solve with close to 600 bhp I simply:

1 Upgraded radiator to biggest I could fit 700x 448 x 56mm ($215 on ebay)
2 Inlet pipe to radiator is 2". The radiator outlet is 45mm so it steps up from 45mm to 50mm at the radiator outlet. I'm using standard intercooler silicon for the water hose - works a treat.

The Ford F350 radiator that I'm using came with a 45mm outlet on the bottom. I run a GT35R turbo and can do unlimited laps with the water below 90'C. Still running the stock water / oil cooler (well it's off a turbo EJ20 but still the stock Subaru part).
Old 05-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Welcome Bazza.

Nice to have another innovations guru on board!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Welcome Bazza.

Nice to have another innovations guru on board!

Joe
Thanks. I didn't know this community existed until 2 weeks ago. Such a useful EG33 resource - hope I can add a little value
Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM

Welcome bazza we will apricate your input.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM

Revisiting this topic - a mate of mine bought a race EG33 engine and I had him ask the previous owner what they did to fix the EG33 overheating issue. Turns out they run multiple hoses into the back of the engine from the radiator somehow and do some really odd things?! I didn't pursue it much as I had no doubt it most likely was a bandaid fix that wouldn't work in the long term (as this thread and many others have shown over many years) but I thought it's rather interesting how people will fix the symptom and not the cause. It's very luck for us Tony did his testing

Anyway I of course instructed my mate to upgrade the thermostat cover and run a large radiator bottom hose outlet to solve it.

I'm also wondering why this doesn't effect WRX / STI's as they run the same pump internals and the same cover. My theory is the smaller EJ engine water jacket just creates less pressure which means there is less suction - although I'm not water pump expert so no idea really. However I'm also wondering if this is an upgrade for those EJ's and I think most likely yes.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Revisiting this topic - a mate of mine bought a race EG33 engine and I had him ask the previous owner what they did to fix the EG33 overheating issue. Turns out they run multiple hoses into the back of the engine from the radiator somehow and do some really odd things?! I didn't pursue it much as I had no doubt it most likely was a bandaid fix that wouldn't work in the long term (as this thread and many others have shown over many years) but I thought it's rather interesting how people will fix the symptom and not the cause. It's very luck for us Tony did his testing

Anyway I of course instructed my mate to upgrade the thermostat cover and run a large radiator bottom hose outlet to solve it.

I'm also wondering why this doesn't effect WRX / STI's as they run the same pump internals and the same cover. My theory is the smaller EJ engine water jacket just creates less pressure which means there is less suction - although I'm not water pump expert so no idea really. However I'm also wondering if this is an upgrade for those EJ's and I think most likely yes.
4cyl vs 6 cyl and associated water jackets/passages.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Welcome bazza we will apricate your input.
Tony
Hi Tony,

Have you been able to set your CNC machine up yet to crank out the thermostat covers?

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Not as yet Bill, we have all been doing it by using welded covers. Given all I have on not sure when I will get it done.
Bazza,
When I wrote the artical for MRT they mentioned that the older motors of the same vintage as ours were over heating, thats why they wanted the artical.
The STI water pump is different it doesn't have a dog leg as it enters from the bottom and also a number of those cars had cross flow radiators. Combine that with your point of reduced restriction and the problem is less obvious, but its still there.

Its worth noting that even though people say its not a problem on STI on newer models each time they move the revs up towards 10k the engine melts down. The only exception is drag engine which don't run for long enough.

Tony

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 07-24-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Not as yet Bill, we have all been doing it by using welded covers. Given all I have on not sure when I will get it done.
Bazza,
When I wrote the artical for MRT they mentioned that the older motors of the same vintage as ours were over heating, thats why they wanted the artical.
The STI water pump is different it doesn't have a dog leg as it enters from the bottom and also a number of those cars had cross flow radiators. Combine that with your point of reduced restriction and the problem is less obvious, but its still there.

Its worth noting that even though people say its not a problem on STI on newer models each time they move the revs up towards 10k the engine melts down. The only exception is drag engine which don't run for long enough.

Tony
Interesting - good to know.

That's quite a statement there Tony - I've run one 2.5L motor to 8500 rpm with stock internals for 65,000 kms with a GT35R@ 20 psi... it didn't melt down. I also ran another one to 9500 rpm with forged internals... it also didn't melt. A mate of mine has one built to rev to 9500 rpm... it's absolutely fine.

I think we should approach this the engine the same way you did the water cooling. By that I mean wait until we actually know exactly what the problems are before we start coming up with theories and fixes. This thread is the perfect example of why we do this. I read through it start to finish last night and so many times people stated certain things which would "definetely" work but most turned out to be very incorrect.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Interesting - good to know.

That's quite a statement there Tony - I've run one 2.5L motor to 8500 rpm with stock internals for 65,000 kms with a GT35R@ 20 psi... it didn't melt down. I also ran another one to 9500 rpm with forged internals... it also didn't melt. A mate of mine has one built to rev to 9500 rpm... it's absolutely fine.

I think we should approach this the engine the same way you did the water cooling. By that I mean wait until we actually know exactly what the problems are before we start coming up with theories and fixes. This thread is the perfect example of why we do this. I read through it start to finish last night and so many times people stated certain things which would "definetely" work but most turned out to be very incorrect.
Your point is correct, so does your mate have any issues at 9,500 rpm also how much run time has he got on it.

Tony
Old 07-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I wanted to see if I could get more info about the crossover pipe, I recall seeing a long ways back in the thread something about the IRIS system not being used on the vehicle this was fitted on so the pipe was able to be straighter. I'm just curious what changes would need to be done to make this same pipe but so it would fit on a vehicle that still has the IRIS and also more specifically what was tapped into (the heads "at the bosses for the front two cylinders on each head and ran hoses to the custom crossover pipes" not sure what Bill meant by this) and how, and what sensors are tapped into the pipe.
Reposting the image to refresh what I'm talking about

Last edited by Johnybeas; 07-28-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

"what sensors are tapped into the pipe."
There are two water temperature sensors.
The one with two wires is for engine management, the one with a single wire is for the dashboard gauge.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link