Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Smooth Stocker

SVX rust weakness

Another user ( gwarusee ) outlined on another thread how if you noticed rust bubbling out above the side body cladding that you would probably find underneath the cladding would be a rusty mess.
I immediately went out to see if I could determine if this was the case on my 97'- I did have a little bit of rust bubbling out on the driver side. I started pressing all over the door cladding and, sure enough, I heard a lot of crunchy sounds . Now I am a little sick knowing my baby is being eaten away. So this is a heads up for everybody who has not ever inspected under that cladding.
I was planning on having it painted next spring, but would still like to get under there and have a look and maybe even grind it off myself and seal it.
I would appreciate if anybody here can post how to get the door cladding off - I understand it can be a little difficult.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:27 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
hmm.. thanks for the heads up, time to take a look before the winter - *crosses fingers
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
From what I've seen the SVX is fairly resistant to rust for a modern car. Mine hasn't been so lucky though.

The amount of repair mine needs is a little scary. New doors, fenders, and rear quarters. I also plan on replacing every part under the car (Subframes, suspension, etc.)

The attached picture shows what's left of my left front spindle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2786.jpg (93.7 KB, 428 views)

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
I've got rust in the same spots on my doors. My rear fenders around the wheel wells are gettin pretty gnarly too.

Luckily the underbody looks fantastic.

I'll definatley be checking back to see how to get under that cladding.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Remember subies rust from the inside out. Just because you look okay on the outside doesn't mean that you are. The cladding rust just so happens to be right where the door reinforcement bar runs through and usually exactly where it was spotted in. Cheap ways to keep it as rust free as possible are wash it at least 1 time a week in the winter with plenty of water to get everything out. Add a touch of kerosene to the water if possible as it gives it an oily coat which will resist rust and salt a bit. 1/20th is about the right mixture. Oh yeah don't tell Al Gore I told you that one. I even went so far as to fill my rockers on my BRAT with gear oil (not in my driveway though as it'll leak out until you get moving to slosh it around in there! Don't park it in a heated garage in winter. Wait just don't drive it in the winter!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM

To remove the door cladding. Remove inside door panel ( assorted screws under felt near inside door lever and plastic connectors around door) etc. After inside door panel is removed you will see three or so nuts that hold the outside trim panel on ( the nuts are 10mm I think ). Easy to take off and then you will have a better idea of how much rust there is.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Wait just don't drive it in the winter!
So, you're telling me that I shouldn't drive my 4WD machine in the snow...

You and I wouldn't get along.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service
I've got rust in the same spots on my doors. My rear fenders around the wheel wells are gettin pretty gnarly too.
Unfortunately, as Benebob alluded, those rust sport aren't "on" your doors, they're IN your doors. And I agree with his advice: If you want your SVX to last, park it in wintertime and buy a beater. The damage that's already been done is going to be expensive to repair properly, and it's gonna worsen very rapidly if you keep slogging through salty slush.

Regarding the use of kerosene, I recall hearing of "underbody oiling" when I lived in Vermont. Probably not a bad idea, especially for inside doors and quarter-panels.

dcb
Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
I mentioned this in another post a while back. The Canadian Automobile Association (of which I am not a member) only recommends "Rust Check" or "Krown" undercoating.

I have had my SVX Rust Checked every year since new and aside from one tiny spot of surface rust caused by a chip there was no rust on my car when I had it painted and had new under body parts installed last winter. The stuff really does work. It's hard on the rubber parts like the weather strips, but so are ozone and the sun. It actually drives out the moisture as well as coating everything with rust inhibitors. It works on old cars as well as new.

It only cost $100.00 each year to apply and is worth it's weight in gold.

Believe me I know. There is no place worse than here for corroding cars. Tons of salt on the roads in winter, constant winter temperatures right around the freeze thaw point and very salty air from the ocean.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Regarding the use of kerosene, I recall hearing of "underbody oiling" when I lived in Vermont. Probably not a bad idea, especially for inside doors and quarter-panels.

dcb
When I store my Mustangs, the underbody and engine compartment gets sprayed with used motor oil. (Don't tell Al about me either). Works wonders.

For inside doors, fenders, quarters, I haven't found anything better than Premiere's ZR Rustproofing. It is runny so it crawls into all the seams, Then it dries with a wax-like finish. Unfortunately I'm on my last can and Premiere seems to be out of business. They used to be based in Cleveland, OH but I can't find a listing for them anymore.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 08-14-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling