Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
KCROGUEDOG

chike of topic but i got your attention when installing your es bushings on the 11/16 ones u drilled out to 18mm. did u use a 18mm grinding bit. the closest i can find is 17.5 which is 11/16 at home depot and other spots. or did u use that size bit and wing it to 18mm? sorry for the hijacking ignore this.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
chike of topic but i got your attention when installing your es bushings on the 11/16 ones u drilled out to 18mm. did u use a 18mm grinding bit. the closest i can find is 17.5 which is 11/16 at home depot and other spots. or did u use that size bit and wing it to 18mm? sorry for the hijacking ignore this.
You know, Svxfiles might have found an 18mm grinding bit at Sears, but if you can't get your hands on one, using the 11/16" and grinding a little extra to reach 18mm will be just fine.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-26-2005, 07:39 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Actually, I bought a 3/4" grinding ball, on a 1/4" shaft, at Lowes, and lightly ground it down on a bench grinder till it fit a 18mm open end wrench.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 08-02-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Stage 2v3 for Naturally Aspirated Mods

I think, the other day, I may have experienced the topping out of the stock MAF that people have been describing. At WOT in second gear from about 6000rpm to the shift point at 6400-6500 rpm, there was a very slight but rapid shudder in the engine note. My only engine mods are Stage 1v4, the exhaust system and the green air filter, but the new exhaust system gives the engine a very continuous drone that wavered slightly in the above condition. That said, is there likely to be any benefit of Stage 2v3 for non-forced draft mods, such as porting and polishing or perhaps a larger throttle body?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 08-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
The word thus far is that it pulls much better to red line. I've been told that where you can feel the power drop off in a stock car with manual transmission and know you need to shift that with stage2v3 it keeps pulling hard on up through 7000rpms. We'll have dyno results soon and then we'll really know what the benefit is for stock cars.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
The word thus far is that it pulls much better to red line. I've been told that where you can feel the power drop off in a stock car with manual transmission and know you need to shift that with stage2v3 it keeps pulling hard on up through 7000rpms. We'll have dyno results soon and then we'll really know what the benefit is for stock cars.
LAN, my car is still automatic, i am having the same symptoms... not just on high rpms but also you can feel that the accelerations has dropped from what they used to be... really i am not joking. Maybe the manual guys are not experiencing it becasue of the manual factor, but believe me i know my SVX by heart, and i am telling you the power has dropped.

When i sensed at first the shuddering in my car, i thought the tranny was going out, but after reading the postings over here, i knew what it was now...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Just some dude.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Acceleration has dropped from what because of what? None of us are talking about a loss of power below that of factory. We are talking about the possiblity that the factory equipment is limiting power at high rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
LAN, my car is still automatic, i am having the same symptoms... not just on high rpms but also you can feel that the accelerations has dropped from what they used to be... really i am not joking. Maybe the manual guys are not experiencing it becasue of the manual factor, but believe me i know my SVX by heart, and i am telling you the power has dropped.

When i sensed at first the shuddering in my car, i thought the tranny was going out, but after reading the postings over here, i knew what it was now...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
I have no idea what you are trying to say. Acceleration has dropped from what because of what? None of us are talking about a loss of power below that of factory. We are talking about the possiblity that the factory equipment is limiting power at high rpms.
LAN, most of the guys now have manuals and are commenting on this issue, but really i am feeling a little lag in my automatic... I cleaned the air filter, i checked the spark plugs, i cleaned the intake manifold, I checked the alternator, the spark plugs wiring....etc... to see if they are the cause... I still feel a little loss of power when accelerating... or when going from 0 to 60... the car reacts better than stock, but less than the max performance i got after installing that chip... I still wanna check something before i hold to this comment, the exhaust system... Hold that thought.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Just some dude.

I think you missread what the others have said. There are a couple of people having problems reaching the raised rev limit of 7400 rpms nobody said anything about power gains going away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
LAN, most of the guys now have manuals and are commenting on this issue, but really i am feeling a little lag in my automatic... I cleaned the air filter, i checked the spark plugs, i cleaned the intake manifold, I checked the alternator, the spark plugs wiring....etc... to see if they are the cause... I still feel a little loss of power when accelerating... or when going from 0 to 60... the car reacts better than stock, but less than the max performance i got after installing that chip... I still wanna check something before i hold to this comment, the exhaust system... Hold that thought.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
I think you missread what the others have said. There are a couple of people having problems reaching the raised rev limit of 7400 rpms nobody said anything about power gains going away.
No i didn't misread that LAN, i am just adding to it. I may be wrong in my statement, just let me check the Aftermarket exhaust, maybe i have a decompression somewhere in it...

Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Any progress on the dyno tests for the new chip?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 08-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Any progress on the dyno tests for the new chip?

The guy we had dynoing for us is still waiting for the dyno operator to give him the print outs. The basic gist of his results were what I was expecting. The afr is moved .8 richer accross the board to better tune for forced induction. Because of the richer afr power drops of slightly above 4900 rpms where the afr gets below 12.4. This is the same as what we had seen during trial runs on the dyno when we developed the original stage 1 software.

When i developed the stage2v3 code I developed it for foced induction. There seems to be a lot of interest in using the z32 maf meter on na cars so I've decided to tune the 1st version of code that is on the adaptor for na. The second version of code on the adaptor is perfect for forced induction and is going to remain as is. Since stage 2 is for those more performance oriented I am going to be more aggressive in the changes in order to get more power. I will be bringing the lower rpm afr down closer to 12.5 and bringing the upper rpm afr up closer to 12.5. I will then take advantage of the new afr to increase ignition advance. Instead of just doing the ignition timing revision table which mainly affects part throttle around the town driving I will edit the base ignition advance table to get more wide open throttle power.

I'm doing the tuning this weekend and will call monday to schedule the dyno as early as it's available. I don't think there will be a very long wait.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Oh Happy Day!!
Old 08-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
The guy we had dynoing for us is still waiting for the dyno operator to give him the print outs. The basic gist of his results were what I was expecting. The afr is moved .8 richer accross the board to better tune for forced induction. Because of the richer afr power drops of slightly above 4900 rpms where the afr gets below 12.4. This is the same as what we had seen during trial runs on the dyno when we developed the original stage 1 software.

When i developed the stage2v3 code I developed it for foced induction. There seems to be a lot of interest in using the z32 maf meter on na cars so I've decided to tune the 1st version of code that is on the adaptor for na. The second version of code on the adaptor is perfect for forced induction and is going to remain as is. Since stage 2 is for those more performance oriented I am going to be more aggressive in the changes in order to get more power. I will be bringing the lower rpm afr down closer to 12.5 and bringing the upper rpm afr up closer to 12.5. I will then take advantage of the new afr to increase ignition advance. Instead of just doing the ignition timing revision table which mainly affects part throttle around the town driving I will edit the base ignition advance table to get more wide open throttle power.

I'm doing the tuning this weekend and will call monday to schedule the dyno as early as it's available. I don't think there will be a very long wait.
Michael,
Outstanding!! Anyway you could swap in an Impreza (43psi) FPR on your engine before you do the dyno runs so those of us already running it don't end up running too rich with the 2v4 chip?
-Bill
p.s by "down closer to" you mean making a richer mixture and by "up closer to" you mean making a leaner mixture?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

So, does just substituting the Impreza FPR improve power without other mods on an NA engine? I am running the Green Filter and a Magnaflow exhaust, but no other mods.