Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 11:1 Engine Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I could probably get an HD video with good audio in about two weeks.
Nah man, grainy cell phone vids poorly uploaded to youtube will more than suffice
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Registered SVX

maybe tomorrow

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 AM

Registered SVX

Took her for a drive. Couple of noises that need worked out under the hood.

At first she was overheating...had not done it before, but I had only let her run 20 minutes this morning. I decided to take her around the block and try to gauge whether air through the radiator would make a difference. The air in the car at this point was VERY COLD. She was overheating but the heat would not work in the car. I was very confused. Taking her out for a drive worked, though. I believe the heater core was empty and possibly had to take on fluid to make the air warm. Not sure how the heater core works exactly, so that is just a guess. Also, I think I just had some air bubbles in the coolant, that worked their way out. She leveled out and then the problem did not persist.

She drove great, by the way. But the power steering pump is sounding very bad. It is "grinding" instead of being quiet. Gets worse with RPM's. So I will be replacing that very shortly. Also, I have a spare power steering rack at my parents house. Once I clean the garage rebuilding the rack will make a nice project. Anyone have a list of all the seals and parts that will need replaced for that?

And I saw a list on here for the power steering pump rebuild, but would that take away the grinding noise coming from the pump? It sounds like a bearing to me, but I suppose it could be hard parts. The pump is making turns "pulse" from the power steering, so it's pretty damn annoying.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Registered SVX

Try flushing the PS fluid first. If it worked ok before it sat for all those months then it might work itself out.

Congrats on getting it going though. Isn't that first drive so great
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Registered SVX

Well she ran dry for a bit...definately not a good thing. I was being stupid, and forgot to connect a hose after my little oil incident. She still works for the time being, just not perfectly.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Registered SVX

As for the overheating and having no heat, you still have air in the system. How did you go about pouring coolant into the system?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Registered SVX

It burped I filled the block through the upper radiator hose, then the radiator, then started the car and filled the overflow while she ran. No more problems there. I figured it was just air. The p/s pump quit making noise and is back to normal. I adjusted the tps and had the tranny drained and refilled. She is being spoiled.

Still having some idle issues. Could be a vaccuum leak I suppose, but it is acting like the maf. I will diagnose that tonight and try cleaning it. Coincidentally the only valves not replaced on the engine were egr and iac. The iac could cause the issue I suppose.

She idles a little rough once she's warm, and sometimes falls low enough to stall. Idle is bouncy also. When cold she is bouncy but does not die, because she is high enough in rpms. It also seems like shes a little rich in the lower rpm's. She does run VERY well, other than the small stuff.

Input?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 AM

Registered SVX

Each problem is slowly resolving itself. Most of it is probably the stock ECU freaking out

She still dies at idle if I rev it up and let off the gas completely. Could be the throttle body needs a cleaning and adjusting. Could just be me overanalyzing everything.

I will make it a point to do my valve body upgrade, and TCU upgrade so I can safely do my injectors and MAF and ECU. Then she will make the real power. I am sure I am maxing out the MAF, but the MAF can only handle just above stock power. She surely has MUCH more torque down low. She feels as if she needs more fuel to truly shine, though.

Ill keep you guys posted

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Congrats on getting it up and going... What cams do you have in there?

Tom
Old 01-29-2011, 01:30 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks Tom!

256 duration intake/exhaust with 8.1mm of lift from ECUtune.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted

Last edited by Cam; 01-29-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Those are the reason it stalls. Gonna need to manually adjust the IAC open further. Also might want to bypass the secondary IAC and use a manual valve if the first option doesn't help it keep the idle up. Those cams drop the manifold vac. too much to use the stock settings and let it idle

Tom
Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Registered SVX

Which one is the primary and secondary?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-29-2011, 04:22 PM

Registered SVX

Cam, can you take some very detailed pics showing what it is you do with the IAC to make it work with the cams? Thanks bro

Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Registered SVX

I will be sure to do that. No problem there. We will see if it works, I am gonna dig around a little later and try to diagnose the issues I am having before making any adjustments. I am positive I have a vaccuum leak and I think that removing the charcoal canister is having ill effects. She runs better with the lines to the canister open rather than bridged. Still expirementing a little.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
She runs better with the lines to the canister open rather than bridged. Still expirementing a little.
That could just be because the line being open allows in more air in past the throttle bodies. Same effect as opening the IAC more would have.