Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
Tow? Who tows?! Usually cars that tow stuff ARE the 2nd vehicle for most people.

The Tesla and other electric vehicles are the perfect FIRST vehicle for someone to own, since 99% of all driving tasks are done within 10 miles of people's residences.

Thats the whole point.

But, I guess if you were to tow something it has 443 lb-ft of torque and 416 hp... so it can pretty much tow a house.
Its not that everybody tows but since about a quarter of vehicles on the road have hitches there is a definate perception that a car needs to be able to tow.
Where are you getting your stats, the electric car propaganda office in d.c.? Try 90% within 25 miles, however, that 0ther 10% is why people by the vehicle they buy as those are the important needs. As Bill said, a true electric can be used for commuting or driving over the same "within winter charge" radius but it does not fit the bill as the car was designed. A freedom of mobility vehicle that allows you to go on vacation, drop the kids off at college, travel for work. Get up and decide to go for a drive in the country, etc. The charging will definately be the nearly impossible thing to overcome since.

I for one probably fit your 10 mile radius pretty good since both myself and my wife work within 2 miles of our home. Even in my case there 8s absolutely no savings to be found even if we sold one one of our cars and bought 2 zero cycles and rode to work every day of the year, Financially, electric cars fail, practically, electric cars fail, enviromentally, they fail since they require some many to have two modes of transportation.

Oh and how far do you think it would tow a 2000lbs trailer before that 443lbs/ft is halved by battery life? Think it would be as far as my XJR can tow with the low fuel light on?