Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Houston, we have AWD!

With many thanks to Tom (SVXFiles) for all his help, my SVX is now in full AWD mode!!
The Solenoid C was indeed the culprit - we found evidence that this is at least the second Solenoid C this trans has seen (not surprising, given the car now has 186k on it). Having the car up in the air also gave me the chance to change the filter internal to the transmission (don't be surprised if the parts guy/gal asks you which filter your SVX needs - play it safe and buy both of them, then return the one that doesn't fit - it comes down to the shape of the flat body, NOT the size of the tube that goes up into the trans). The entire effort took Tom and myself (with a little help from my son Austin) the better part of 4 hours. (FYI - it took 8 QTs to fill the trans back up) It would have been a total PITA if we hadn't had Tom's lift.
The roughly 3 hour drive back home through the "mountains" of Maryland was a blast in AWD! Accelerating up fairly good inclines felt very solid and the trans is behaving like it's brand new (it has been doing this since Tom used his Select Monitor to adjust the TPS).
I've got pictures in my locker of the installed Solenoid C and the pawl that locks the trans when you put the trans in P).
-Bill (finally feeling ready for the dyno runs!)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker