IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-29-2010, 02:58 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX
Re: Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

Why not save yourself a lot of trouble, and just go buy this:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52285

If you decide to swap anyway, may I suggest sticking to 6 cylinders. I think that the flat 6 is a core characteristic of what makes an SVX. I have several Subies also; a stock Legacy, 2.5NA engine, a lightly modified STi, 2.5T engine, and an SVX. One of the main things that appeals to me about the SVX as compared to the others is that fabulous six cylinder sound and feel.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 03-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
One advantage to a turbo EJ over a turbo EG is the extra room in the nose for am intercooler without ditching the AC condensor.

And I pray that you're intending on doing a front or side mount, not a top mount. I don't think hoodscoops suite the SVX at all.

You might be able to get away with a vented V-mount though, and there'd be tons of room for it.
That would be a terrible idea unless you are talking about moving the ac condensor and radiator farther back and having the IC in front to catch the air stream.

Putting it behind all those things wont give it much air flow, and being in the engine bay will make it heat soak a lot faster.

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

there are times i want to swap mine to the ej258, in the end i just like eg33 too much to do it. the eg33 is just a better fit for the kind of car the svx is
it is funny that my wagon blows the doors off my coup in a straight line
Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
That would be a terrible idea unless you are talking about moving the ac condensor and radiator farther back and having the IC in front to catch the air stream.
That was the idea, yes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

let me see if I can cover the last few posts.

Joe we have had the 2.5L STi since '04. Actually my last STi was an '04. Kinda miss it.

The Forester 2.5T is a popular swap for the 2.0 guys. My good friend Jeff runs that engine in his '03 (still a bugeye for us) WRX and runs 11.1x @ 130something. He also runs the Hydra and has been on me to try it for yrs. Jeff can be blamed for getting me into modding Subaru's. I met him while stationed in the UK back when my then new '02 WRX was 100% bonestock.

I kinda toured the UK learning as much as I could about the cars since they have had the WRX since '93. Richard Bulmer of Tractive Solutions, Chris at WRC Tech and even Scoobyclinic had a go at tuning my WRX. Richard did the best job, now that's one smart guy there. I went from 132whp on Emerald 3D's dyno in Watton, Norfolk (100% stock) to 305whp when finished. I got loads of crap from the local Subaru site (Scoobycity.co.uk) for bothering to build a WRX instead of buying an STi in the first place. I had the second highest whp of the day there during a MLR rolling road day. That shut those guys up. I was the lone Subaru to the "slaughter'. Only a Norris built Evo VII had more power.

I dont remember who said it but they are correct, I didn't come here looking for permission or approval to do a swap. Its mine and I'll play with it how ever I choose!
I was looking for information, and I cant believe no one in the last 18yrs hasn't done this swap.

Odepaj by the time you built the 3.3 and boosted it I think you'd still end up spending more money. Don't forget you have to do something about that crappy 4EAT.

Last edited by Bonestock; 03-29-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Why not save yourself a lot of trouble, and just go buy this:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52285

If you decide to swap anyway, may I suggest sticking to 6 cylinders. I think that the flat 6 is a core characteristic of what makes an SVX. I have several Subies also; a stock Legacy, 2.5NA engine, a lightly modified STi, 2.5T engine, and an SVX. One of the main things that appeals to me about the SVX as compared to the others is that fabulous six cylinder sound and feel.
I would eat my own foot before paying 15k for an SVX regardless of how much work it has. And why would I want to buy another? I have a gorgeous 80k mile minter to start with!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
I have always wanted a SVX, since the came out back in 91. Now that I got one (only had it for a few months) I guess I am finding it WAY too slow. I have had some pretty serious rides. 420hp Evo, 410hp STi, 390hp WRX, 500hp R33 GTR-Vspec etc... I think I am going to swap in a EJ258 w/ 6MT really soon. The 3.3 just doesn't have any support and I am not one to tune using "chips". I like to be able to flash a new map on the fly. My Evo didn't go anywhere without a laptop and a Tactrix cable. LOL

From what I read on here you guys really dont like engine swaps.... I guess I'll be hated on here as well. I am dedicated to two cars, Subaru's and the Pontiac Fiero. I have had 8 Subaru's and like 25 Fieros over the yrs. I guess the Fiero can be blamed for my engine swap love. I have performed all the popular Fiero swaps and now I think its time to do the SVX. I doubt it will be as easy as the swap was in my old WRX. I put a JDM STi EJ208 w/ ver7 JDM STi 6MT and it couldn't have been easier... 8 wires (for the AVCS) and I had to re-clock the heater hoses... oh the horror! LOL

I would try the simple stuff like N20 and basic bolt ons but I just don't think the original 19yr old 80K mile drivetrain would tolerate it. I couldn't find ANY specific info on anyone actually going forward with a WRX or STi swap. I wonder why? Does anyone know of this swap actually been performed and had it running and driving?
It all comes down to money...the 3.3 fits nicely but I agree the car is seriously lacking in the power department. since its such an old car the technology and building techniques hold it back. It performs well on the highway so keep that in mind...trying to use it for 1/4 mile or making it a track car is just a waste of time because it will always get spanked (but its fun having the only SVX out on a track).

How the car will be primarily driven will help determine the best course of action.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

Quote:
l
Joe we have had the 2.5L STi since '04. Actually my last STi was an '04. Kinda miss it.

The Forester 2.5T is a popular swap for the 2.0 guys. My good friend Jeff runs that engine in his '03 (still a bugeye for us) WRX and runs 11.1x @ 130something. He also runs the Hydra and has been on me to try it for yrs. Jeff can be blamed for getting me into modding Subaru's. I met him while stationed in the UK back when my then new '02 WRX was 100% bonestock.

I kinda toured the UK learning as much as I could about the cars since they have had the WRX since '93. Richard Bulmer of Tractive Solutions, Chris at WRC Tech and even Scoobyclinic had a go at tuning my WRX. Richard did the best job, now that's one smart guy there. I went from 132whp on Emerald 3D's dyno in Watton, Norfolk (100% stock) to 305whp when finished. I got loads of crap from the local Subaru site (Scoobycity.co.uk) for bothering to build a WRX instead of buying an STi in the first place. I had the second highest whp of the day there during a MLR rolling road day. That shut those guys up. I was the lone Subaru to the "slaughter'. Only a Norris built Evo VII had more power.
Ha! Emerald 3D eh? That would be Chris Walker? So I would say you are no stranger to Practical Performance Car magazine then, where he writes a monthly tuning column? That might explain your tendency to swap engines, to me anyway.

The Forester 2.5 XT in standard trim only makes 210 horse but has good torque. The torque is why I like the bigger cylinders. The Forester Sti makes a lot more and is easily chipped.

Why is everybody saying you need a custom turbo system? Why re-invent the wheelbarrow? Use the system from the 2.5T and use a nice twin scroll turbo.

We have the 2.5 XT here in Ireland [and England!] since '04 as well. What I meant was the Japanese continued to use the 2.0 Turbo for the standard Forester, the only 2.5T variant they got [apart from the original 2.5 NA] was the SG9 variant, the Sti. As these were very low in numbers I'm just surprised to see engines from them making the States is all.

I reckon you are going to do this, plus I believe it's less troublesome to install than most people here think, and I'm genuinely interested to see you moving on with this.

The SVX is not going to turn into a tin box Honda Civic overnight just because it gets a 4-cylinder engine. Way to go Stevo.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Ha! Emerald 3D eh? That would be Chris Walker? So I would say you are no stranger to Practical Performance Car magazine then, where he writes a monthly tuning column? That might explain your tendency to swap engines, to me anyway.

The Forester 2.5 XT in standard trim only makes 210 horse but has good torque. The torque is why I like the bigger cylinders. The Forester Sti makes a lot more and is easily chipped.

Why is everybody saying you need a custom turbo system? Why re-invent the wheelbarrow? Use the system from the 2.5T and use a nice twin scroll turbo.

We have the 2.5 XT here in Ireland [and England!] since '04 as well. What I meant was the Japanese continued to use the 2.0 Turbo for the standard Forester, the only 2.5T variant they got [apart from the original 2.5 NA] was the SG9 variant, the Sti. As these were very low in numbers I'm just surprised to see engines from them making the States is all.

I reckon you are going to do this, plus I believe it's less troublesome to install than most people here think, and I'm genuinely interested to see you moving on with this.

The SVX is not going to turn into a tin box Honda Civic overnight just because it gets a 4-cylinder engine. Way to go Stevo.

Joe
Chris or was it Dan? Gavin? I cant remember for sure. I know it was a father/son business.

Here is my WRX at Emerald:

@ WRC Tech

As for the swap, the wiring will be the toughest. Oh how I hate combining two different harness into one working unit. I thought I was going to go crazy when I put a Northstar 32v V8 into a Fiero... what a wiring nightmare!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I have always wanted a SVX, since the came out back in 91. Now that I got one (only had it for a few months) I guess I am finding it WAY too slow.
With your Résumé I am surprised that, considering the HP and the weight of the SVX, you wouldn't have a clue what you were getting into.

Keith
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

I say go for it! It would be great to see someone be different for once. I see we have very similar tastes in vehicles, as I currently have a modified WRX and an SVX. And as I mentioned in your intro thread, I've also been into Fiero's for many years. That's where I get my engine swap roots from also, since in that community, the first thing to do is a swap.

I won't be trying to get a whole lot of power from my SVX, as I really enjoy having the WRX for serious performance, and then the SVX as a nice relaxing and luxurious daily driver for after those long days at work lol. Of course, if I didn't have the WRX, you can certainly bet I would be modifying the SVX for some serious performance.

If you end up doing it, please do a build thread on it as some of us would actually like to see your progress. Don't mind the naysayers that there will be, keep us updated as you do it!

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I'd love for someone to do one, even just to open the door to it. But, as far as engine choices go, I'd rather see it get a newer boxer 6. What exactly are the barriers to that? (Are porsche engines even remotely an option?)

If that's not feasible, then a 4-cyl will still be interesting, and does have many advantages to it:

Lighter weight
More power is attainable, and relatively easily
Massive aftermarket
Lots of stuff done with them already = lots of knowledge about them

I say go for it if that's what you want. The number of built/turbo/SC SVXi is small, but the number of swapped SVXi is 0. So do it and take lots of pictures and document it well.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM

Registered SVX

There was one guy that attempted to fit a EJ Turbo into his SVX. He did a write up of what he did to it on this site.
But as far as I know he never finished it or got it to run right.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43801

Thats the tread. Not much in it.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 PM

Registered SVX

It looks like toms supercharged svx is down from that 15k, I think I saw 10k
That sounds like a steal considering its already a 6 speed. and all the goodies it has, could actually be cheaper then building up the sti swap. Though then you lose the fun of the build I guess.