SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-10-2010, 03:33 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I'll never sell my SVX.

I've had about a dozen people ask me to sell my SVX to them over the course of almost owning it for 2 years now. Kind of shocking actually but refreshing to know that people actually like it I guess. Some were probably mostly jokingly in passing but I know a few were serious. I've had someone recently really pursue me about selling it and which (yes, I even thought about it for a second but had to back it up with a why) I simply would not come to terms in selling it.

It has 187,000 miles on it now... I've put in thousands of dollars for repairs and other misc bs into it and I had to explain to him that even if I were to be willing to be low balled enough into taking only $3,000 (which may be it's actual value right now) I wouldn't sell it even if he offered me $6k.

He looked at me like I was kind of crazy, slightly puzzled for a minute and then I told him "Look. Simply put, I could sell this car and even if you were to give me $6k, I wouldn't find another car I would be happier with for that price, so what's the point?" and it's true.

Hasn't really bothered me about it lately but is it odd that I'm so unwilling to part with it? It would take a whole lot.... a whole lot, for me to give it up. I know it's not perfect, I know it's probably not worth anywhere near $6k... but I refuse to let it go. I told him there's a teal SVX for $800 that needs an engine and some TLC with around 100k on it but he doesn't seem passionate enough to get it and put some blood, tears and sweat into it... not to mention a part time job

I got my minor exhaust issue fixed today, new brakes, oil change and air filter.... and I can't explain how thrilled I was driving this car to work! Even after almost 2 years of ownership, I'm so satisfied with this car, it's almost unreal. After many trial and errors and endless amount of issues... the final result is still the same. I'm thrilled to own, drive and certainly feel blessed to have the ability to live in such a great time and drive something that creates almost a euphoric experience, each time I get behind the wheel. I also can't wait to take the trip from INdy to Wisconsin at the end of this month for a little mini trip with some family!

I ****ing love this car! Thank you Subaru. Likewise, many many thanks to the countless and enthusiastic people on this forum that has assisted me in the many issues I've encountered and in shedding information on things I was complete and utterly ignorant on. I am truly grateful! Thank you.

P.S. - totally kid friendly. Totally! My daughter early last year...
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: I'll never sell my SVX.

Another true enthusiast. We do share a common interest and objective with this car: Never sell. I have been trying hard to locate another and buy it (back home) without any luck so far. But I will keep trying, until at least get one.

You are right, what would you buy?
- RX8: Rotary engine too complicated for me. very nice on the outside, but Sci-Fi on the inside.
- Miata: too small... and fragile (my opinion..)
- 350z: you don't wanna know.
- G35: I would even think I am driving besides mirrors if I drive those, too many of them (same as the Z's). I even got my Z the JDM white LED taillights just to be able to know that this is my car in a certain parking lot
- Toyota? What do they have?
- Mitsu Eclipse: FWD = I want either RWD or AWD

Sorry but I cannot find a good replacement for a car which is:
- Spacious on the inside
- Unique on the outside
- Quality built in terms of material
- AWD
- Sporty still suitable for a small family
- Torquey/Fast
- Still turns heads with concerning its identity

Someone convince me otherwise... please!

P.S: Subix you really have a cute kid

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Registered SVX

+1 I cant wait to drive my wonderful SVX again!!!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Sorry but I cannot find a good replacement for a car which is:
- Spacious on the inside
- Unique on the outside
- Quality built in terms of material
- AWD
- Sporty still suitable for a small family
- Torquey/Fast
- Still turns heads with concerning its identity

Someone convince me otherwise... please!
Audi TT quattro comes close, but it's kinda small I think, and while not super unique, the new one is gorgeous.

Don't laugh, but one car I've been wanting for a while now is a Crossfire. Like the SVX in that I like the design (but no one else does) and it was a flop in terms of sales. Not exactly the highest quality machine though. Wouldn't be able to replace the SVX, but they would look nice parked next to each other.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

My car is almost 19 years old(counting from factory date) and I find myself in the exact same position as you. More often than not, I'm worried that our cars are a dying breed. I'm constantly seeing them wrecked or parted or even sold as a whole to owners or ugly vanagon's. Though it doesn't slow my passion for this car.

There's going to be replacment parts and even aftermarket parts that we can use to keep our cars in top shape. Though they may be expensive, my car is what drives me to push for a better job so I can spend more money on her!

I have so many ideas and plans for this car and when I'm through I'm going to keep her alive for another 19 years. The only other car I'd concider buying is another SVX.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM

I would love a new SVX... and Subaru could do it... but that is another discussion.

With the advent of government mandates for Electronic Data Recorders for MY2013... I am thinking that it is going to keep me buying used for a long time.

About the only cars I really am enthused about buying is the SVX, and a Z32 Nissan 300ZX.

300ZX has more performance, factory manual gearbox, optional turbocharged model, optional 2-seat or 2+2... a hatchback, and t-tops, but it isn't an F-body GM with a live-axle.

It doesn't have SVX's bigger rear seat for cargo or passengers, It doesn't have SVX's AWD, or boxer engine design.

They both have handsome looks, and nice interiors.

I'd love a matching set. A 2-seat Twin Turbo Z32 for the summer, and a 2+2 SVX AWD (manual gearbox swapped) for weather and longer trips. Maybe a second SVX in reliable shape, for winter slogging.

Both the SVX and 300ZX with black "canopy-look" roofs, and moderately dark royal blue on the main body, HIDS and LED tails, and such....

Subaru makes nothing like it anymore. Nissan's 370Z is ugly to me, inside and out, although probably technically decent. G37 and A5 are nice, but $$$$$$, and the Infiniti makes you choose between variable AWD, or a Manual gearbox, never both. The A5 is bulky and the V6 is over 40K new, with any options.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM

and as everyone here allready knows, the price that people will pay for these truly wonderful, beautiful, reliable, awd vehicles is going down every day. Keeping them is a no brainer, you sell one then look at the money and a picture of the car and wonder what just happend, feeling like you've just been robbed! Thats the way I see it, never even sold one yet, looking for another!!...........G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Yea 300zxes are nice. And they have the advantage of being just common enough that parts are easy to get, and aftermarket is huge, but rare enough that you don't see them every day. I'd love to have a TT one in that really nice dark hunter's green color.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I have also been in the same boat. The z4 has made me realize I need a 2+2 for the next car. The next car on my list will be the Pontiac GTO, Camaro SS, s5 or the G37s as that is the only thing I'd find similar
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX

[QUOTE=SilverSpear;637839]
...RX8: Rotary engine too complicated for me. very nice on the outside, but Sci-Fi on the inside...
QUOTE]

It only has 3 moving parts

I absolutley love my SVX even though I have yet to "legally" drive one on the road. It's so unique that I find myself staring at it in my yard, and loving when people ask me what it is (4 times while it was on a trailer from connecticut). Sure I'd love a FD RX7 or a 350z or one of the hot impreza models, but I believe without a doubt I'll have an SVX until I'm too old to drive.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Audi TT quattro comes close, but it's kinda small I think, and while not super unique, the new one is gorgeous.
Please mention anything but the TT, I hate that car! It falls in the 370z category = an expensive sardine can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
About the only cars I really am enthused about buying is the SVX, and a Z32 Nissan 300ZX.
Subaru makes nothing like it anymore. Nissan's 370Z is ugly to me, inside and out, although probably technically decent. G37 and A5 are nice, but $$$$$$, and the Infiniti makes you choose between variable AWD, or a Manual gearbox, never both. The A5 is bulky and the V6 is over 40K new, with any options.
For the 300ZX, we cannot live in the past anymore. It is a great car, so as the Toyota Supra, but these are gone now. We need something advanced, new. The G37 is the best match, but still quality material will still be an issue even for Infinity. The don't fab cars as they used to anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The next car on my list will be the Pontiac GTO, Camaro SS, s5 or the G37s as that is the only thing I'd find similar
The Camaro... maybe! In V6 form. Need to read more about quality interior and woes after some time more.

[QUOTE=crash_2365;637898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
...RX8: Rotary engine too complicated for me. very nice on the outside, but Sci-Fi on the inside...
QUOTE]

It only has 3 moving parts
Yeah maybe, but no one knows how to fix these cars (over here) and what to look for in case of trouble.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Subix,

I could not have said it better. My 96 Polo now has 130,000 milles and I recently put $5000 in it for an engine rebuild, exhaust system, CV joints, etc.

On top of other maintenance, this is a small price to pay for driving such a great car. I could never get out of it anywhere near what I have invested in it and could not imagine any car that I would rather drive on a continual basis.

Prior to the SVX, whenever I owned any particular car, I always wondered what my next car would be. I don't wonder any more; if this car goes for any unforeseen reason, I know what my next car will be!

In reality, there are negatives to owning the SVX. Dwindling parts supply, lack of competent mechanics and so on. But passion and desire are not always based on reality. On the positive side, the styling, technology and design with performance and safety in mind outweigh any negatives.

I will never sell my car as well. A case in point:

At Reading 8, when my 1996, 90,000-mile "Pristine Green Polo Machine" was detailed and looking its best, I jokingly put a FOR SALE sign on it saying "$13,995.00 FIRM". I thought it would be funny and see what other members would think. They knew I had no intention of selling it and pretty much ignored the whole thing.

Many members had gone on the rally or elsewhere and some of us were just hanging around the parking lot. There was an older gentleman staying at the hotel who was wandering around the parking lot earlier in the morning, admiring our cars and asking questions, etc. He was not familiar with them but seemed very impressed with the SVX overall.

I had even forgot that the sign was on the car and that same gentleman came up to me later and asked me if this was my car; I thought he just wanted to ask some more questions, etc...

And then he said in a most sincere voice: "For that price, are you willing to inspect it?" This really caught me by surprise and I quickly said I was entertaining a prior offer and quickly removed the sign! He gave me his contact information just in case.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

You don't want to know how much I have in my SVX now... Well, at least my wife doesn't

I only sold my 96 so I could turn around and buy my 94 not even a week later. If it weren't to get another SVX I'd never have sold it. Once mines done I don't doubt I'll be buying at least one more in the next few years. I'll own an SVX until I die.

I still haven't driven my Laguna, but I now keep a car cover over it because someone came to my parents door and wanted to buy it haha. Another month and it should be back on the road where it belongs.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM

A friend and I were talking about the History Channel show, "American Pickers" the other day and I told her of a treasured old wood stove I have that once belonged to both my paternal and maternal grandparents: If somebody offered me $500 cash for it, I'd have no trouble declining. $5000? Man, I don't know...

Were somebody offer me crazy money for one of my cars, I'd have to bid it farewell. I get too attached to things. I'd be devastated.

Of course, financial independence would completely change my thinking. Were money no object, I'd have 'em both completely restored and drive them forevermore.

dcb
Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Money is no object, I'd have 'em all completely restored and drive them forevermore.
Funny, this is exactly the same quote, word for word, that came out of Earl's mouth!

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .