Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-22-2010, 10:05 PM

What would you do with $500?

So, I would just like some opinions/advice/thoughts on the matter.

I'm always up for taking the advice of someone who has gone before me, so here is my question.

I have a few hundred extra dollars this month as something got eliminated from my budget, and I'm just looking for advice on how to make my money go the furthest, as I would like to spend it on the SVX. I know what I would LIKE to do, so I'm just curious if what I want to do actually makes sense.

Current mods/up and coming mods (I already have parts, ready for install) include:

ECUtune 1v5
perrin lightweight pulley
BontragerWorks CAI
Phenolic spacers
Gutted main cat
BontragerWorks 2.5" cat-back exhaust
4.11 VTD trans swap, 4.11 LSD, ECUtune VB, ECUtune TCU, trans cooler (up and coming, likely this spring)
lowered front of car 3/4"
BontragerWorks 22mm RSB
drilled/slotted rotors
SS brakelines
ceramic pads
+other random stuff

And that's pretty much everything of consequence.

Now, here's what I'd LIKE to do.

Obviously, the next big thing going in the car is the trans. I wanted to keep it auto, and (long story short) decided to go with a 4.11 VTD trans. No, don't try to talk me out of that, I've already spent too much (actually, not really) but it's the next big thing for sure. Plus I always like to award myself points for individuality.

Future plans include turbocharging, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the ECUTune 2v7 route for engine management. I'm not looking for a ridiculous amount of power, and I've heard good things about it. I've already acquired the MAF, so I just need injectors and the new computer.

Is there something else that will benefit my car more than the 2v7 will at this moment in time? I like to think that getting it now would be good because it will maybe free up a few more ponies (hard to say) but more importantly I will be more ready for a turbo when the time comes.

Should I invest in suspension? There really aren't many choices there unless I go custom. (which I have not eliminated) I want a well balanced car, is something amiss, you who have been down this road?

My main goal for the year is run a 14 second 1/4 mile all motor. Current best is 15.4 before my intake. I think with upcoming mods this should be easy.

So, my thoughts are... should I go ahead and get the 2v7? Yay or nay?

Is there another way you recommend I spend my dollars?

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 02-22-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: What would you do with $500?

You could spend your money by buying magic gas from me? j/k but i would definatly go suspension before the ecutune 2v7.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I like the approach you're taking with this. You seem to be doing what I'd be doing if I had more time (and money) on my hands and more know-how. The SVX is my 3rd car, but it's the first one I've taken an interest in DIY maintenance and modding. So I'm still new at it, but my big picture is similar to yours:
- Keep it auto, and if a change happens, it will be to a VTD box. I rather like the idea of a phase II 4eat or 5eat.
- Car should handle as well as can be. Handling is much more important than power. Should be trackable, but still street friendly (read: not too low).
- The car is gorgeous, the only things it needs in terms of looks are things mine already has (HIDs, clear lenses, 97 grill, tints), rims (which I am saving up for), and an exhaust (for a sweet sound, not power).
- Some degree of weight reduction.
- Power comes later. I'm unsatisfied that our only options are turbo and supercharging, and would rather look into an engine swap to a newer boxer-6. This would have to wait till after grad school (5+ years). I hope that my trans lasts that long so I can do a full powertrain swap then.

What I've got in the works is this:
- Koni struts are sitting in the garage next to Dayle's drop springs (and soon a shiny blue swaybar) waiting eagerly for spring break to be put on. This is more important to me because the front springs were cut and I'm tired of being afraid of bottoming out all the time. I sort of wish I had just jumped straight to coilovers.
-QC on the way too.
- Kicking around the idea of getting the ecutune TCU, but gotta save up some $$. Might just do a trans temp gauge.
- Trolling mazda forums for a good deal on rims (I want the stock mazda6 ones, I think 17"s)
- Next will be an exhaust.
- Could use a little paint work, but not urgently

So if I was in your position, I think I'd do either coilovers next or just Konis, but those are much more than $500. I don't get the feeling that the 2v7 will help you much prior to turboing it, and you could decide to go a different route in the meantime, so I'd wait till then to get that. My vote goes to suspension.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 AM

I like your set up so far. Couple of things I would say is with the 2v7 and no other changes I believe they say you won't notice any difference unless you have already done the turbo or s/c. I would personnally like to see if you do get a difference in your times just going from the 1v5 to 2v7, I think that would be interesting. I see you don't have the 4.11 done yet but you have some time and money invested in that. Did you already do the ECU tune TCU? That would give you some better response I would think, and would be something you would feel. You have the phenolic spacers what about PnP your intake? With some of your hook ups that would be a cheap easy thing to have done or you may choose to do it yourself. There is also ceramic coating of the intake, little to no noticeable gains in that but could help some. Personally I would have to agree with some of the others that suspension is the best way to go for you right now. Depending on what you have done. You have the sway bar, what about tightening up all the loose suspension subframes and cross members and rear diff with polyeurathane bushings? I havent seen anything new on the TiC control arm bushing group buy though but that would be something for the front. Another thing would be maybe an adjustable end link set up for the front sway bar. You have a good set up for your rear should not be hard to adapt it for your front. With it adjustable you may be able to load the tension some to improve handling. I would definitely consider coil over suspension. While you have some money this might be a good time to see what you can come up with. I think finding rear replacements are easy the hardest part is the fronts due to the sway bar mounting perches, regardless of power it may be better to improve how the power you do have is being transfered to the ground right now. The rest will come when you do your trans and future turbo set up.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Keep your car cool. Invest in a PWR radiator.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Registered SVX

where do you get it ? i didn't know they were still making them ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Keep your car cool. Invest in a PWR radiator.
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill
Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 PM

Well, my delimma is that I don't really want to compromise the ride quality by going with coilovers/etc... I love how the car handles/rides now, but I wouldn't mind if it were just slightly lower. I would consider springs now and wait on Konis as I can do them anytime.

Also, I've wanted to update my grille for a long time, so I forgot to mention that I'll be going with a smallcar grille for sure or a genuine '97 grille. (if I can find one)

I like the ideas you fellows are giving me. I think I will go with springs for now. I'd really like to have the car turboed before next winter, but I think I have plenty of time to spare until then. I'll just quietly amass parts until that happens.

Also you guys, be on the lookout for front swaybar endlinks from me soon. They'll be just as beefy as the rears I sell, but will be for the front! Would you fellows be interested in something like that?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I'm pretty sure svxfiles is the one to contact for a pwr radiator. He's got da hook up's, lol. They're about $520 though.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Nevin I think the interest is there but would suggest getting maybe a few sets together get them on a couple cars with the owners opinions of improvement in handling if any. I may be interested but I don't know if stock will work after I install my modified coilovers in the front.

If you aren't too picky used turbo parts would be the way to go either junk yard or buy from someone who is upgrading whatever set up they had. That way at least you can verify fit up and operation without killing your wallet and then buy a new turbo later.

PWR radiator is a good option too but I am wondering if PWR will come out with a different set up due to the stuff found in the overheating thread. Group N engine mounts is another good thing to apply. Optima battery, is another thing to consider. Adjustable lateral links and trailing arms. Other than that I can't think of a whole lot you don't have or haven't done.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Well, my delimma is that I don't really want to compromise the ride quality by going with coilovers/etc... I love how the car handles/rides now, but I wouldn't mind if it were just slightly lower. I would consider springs now and wait on Konis as I can do them anytime.
Doing the springs and konis at one time will save you time taking it all apart and putting it back together again.

Quote:
Also, I've wanted to update my grille for a long time, so I forgot to mention that I'll be going with a smallcar grille for sure or a genuine '97 grille. (if I can find one)
I'd consider the grille very much worthwhile. Ditching the "waterfall" grille goes miles toward making our cars more modern looking.

Quote:
I like the ideas you fellows are giving me. I think I will go with springs for now. I'd really like to have the car turboed before next winter, but I think I have plenty of time to spare until then. I'll just quietly amass parts until that happens.
I'd like some more info on what parts you'll be amassing What springs are you going to go with?

Quote:
Also you guys, be on the lookout for front swaybar endlinks from me soon. They'll be just as beefy as the rears I sell, but will be for the front! Would you fellows be interested in something like that?
Yes. How much would you guesstimate they'd cost? I won't hold you to it, just curious. Did you look into a group buy of front swaybars or did you decide they would have a crappy cost/benefit ratio?

I would also like to know about the pwr radiator, if for no reason other than to keep as a spare.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Doing the springs and konis at one time will save you time taking it all apart and putting it back together again.

Time I have, I'm not worried about that. Plus, I do that kinda thing all the time at work, it's really not a huge project anymore for me.

I'd consider the grille very much worthwhile. Ditching the "waterfall" grille goes miles toward making our cars more modern looking.

Thank you, I very much agree!

I'd like some more info on what parts you'll be amassing What springs are you going to go with?

I think I'll probably go with a set of Motorsports warehouse springs. Or get my own. You can buy eibach springs for about $55 per spring.

Yes. How much would you guesstimate they'd cost? I won't hold you to it, just curious. Did you look into a group buy of front swaybars or did you decide they would have a crappy cost/benefit ratio?

Still not sure on the price as I have no yet gotten my own set in. And I currently have zero plans for front swaybar development. I just don't think 1. They'd sell as well 2. That the cost would be worth the gain.

I hope that sums it up.

And FYI, I just now bought a smallcar grille off of ebay. True story.

Last edited by Nevin; 02-23-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Registered SVX

Sums up perfectly. Have fun.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:42 PM

So, just for fun's sake... Let's say the number is $1,000.

Now what would you do?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

$500??

That could buy a decent amount of recreational materials

Honestly, save your money for real engine managment and not a sidestepping chip... I am not telling you to buy a Hyrda, you can make the Megasquirt work for the car too...

Having been there, I wish I knew more about it years ago before investing so much money into ECUTune products... Night and day.

Tom
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I'd buy a new pair of quarter panels... But that's my car's special case. I've currently got money saved to rebuild my motor this summer, which may include some mild head work and a set of cams, but I'm budgeting more than $1000 for that.

What about the Euro-style bumper? Currently $355 from Dayle.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl