IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
alan

there are built in safety areas in a wrx for over boosting called fuel cut, its a wonderfull thing, cobb access port adjusts the boost to 16 psi i bieleve, why spend 600 for something that does it for 80.00 $ cobb doesnt do much in timing adjustments also or fuel curves in that matter,

if you dont know much abought tunning cars i would go with acces port its plug and play,

so far 23,000 miles on mine with no mechanical issues at all,

tim-h just mod one step at a time => cat back is a good start.

back on topic, this thing is going to hit 400 hp at the crank dammit !!!! LOL .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
i dunno - i'm no expert at tuning turbo cars, but the concensus is that a CAI and a manual boost controller on a WRX is a good way to kill your engine. i'd do some research over at NASIOC first:

"mbcs cause part throttle full boost (ptfb) because you bypass the stock bc solenoid.... tap the throttle and you get full boost, even when you accel w/ cruise control. Not good - I'd strongly recommend not using one (unless you're really really educated and know EXACTLY what you're doing). Our 02s can handle them better than 04/05's, but you can still blow you engine by using one. But still... ptfb messes with the open/closed loop fuel system and that can = b00m"
"i'm not going to give you a bunch of crap about reading this or that. just understand that there are issues with using a mechanical boost controller that MUST be taken into consideration if you want your engine to be happy for any length of time. do searches and read and learn... or don't and possibly melt a piston or break a ring land or burn a valve.
"

i would recommend the Cobb Accessport ($650), an STi (~$200?) or gutted stock downpipe ($free). this will get you stage 2, and more peace of mind. you can change the uppipe for a quicker turbo spool up while you're in there if you like.

i would also probably upgrade the braking and suspension if you start adding the power........and of course, get new tires if the RE-92's are still on there.