Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Spontaneous radiator combustion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awox View Post
Okayyy...

So today I'm swapping the radiator out. I twist the plug out and let it drain into a milk jug, coolant is green and pretty clear, no issues there. I'm having a bugger of a time getting the bottom hose off, so I just cut it. A bit more coolant comes out, just a bit, but it's clear green, no issues there.

THEN, i'm having trouble getting the 2 smaller hoses off, the little heater core bypass ones or whatever they are. So I cut those off too. Uh oh...this nasty reddish oily stuff comes out Could this be ATF? It looks like it...but why would that be coming out of my radiator? And why was the other coolant clear?

Am I missing something here?
You cut the ATF cooling lines... they cycle ATF thru part of the radiator to cool it. Those are formed hoses and have to be bought from the dealer... do you have the campaign ATF filter installed?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 PM

Well...I feel stupid. Okay, Then that's a good thing.
I thought that's what the thing in front of the radiator was for...I thought that was the trans cooler. No...that's the AC radiator.
Anyway.....Thanks, I'm an idiot.

I cut the hoses just after the nipple, there's plenty of slack in them to be put back on the new one, less than an inch was removed from either.

Last edited by Awox; 05-24-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: derp!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM

Okay, so the new radiator is in. I fill it with water, just enough to get to a mechanic for a flush and fill, and to put the new thermostat in.

Normally I'd do that myself but there is no damn hose around here, and for me to buy one long enough to reach my faucet would cost more than having someone else do it, and frankly it's not the best weather to be working on a car.

Anyway i take it about a mile to my mechanic to get it flushed and put the new thermostat in, everything is fine, it gets up to temperature, the fans come on for a minute because it's city driving and I've got the AC cranked, but they switched off shortly after. So all is well with the fans, not overheating, nothing.

Sooooo as it's driven into the bay, they open the hood, suddently there's a pop. The overflow tank lid popped open and there's steam coming out, quite a lot of it. So we skip the flush and jump straight to cooling system diagnostic. The tester is blue if there is nothing, and yellow if there's hydrocarbons. It turned aqua...that means there is sooooomething...just not much.

Anyway, still why is there so much pressure that it nearly blew a second radiator, even just after that short trip? This time, the temperature gauge always stayed level, there was no overheating, we watched it very carefully.

This is still with the old thermostat in mind you. He won't replace it and do a flush because it will apparently make the problem worse?

Could the thermostat just be very stuck? I had to drive it home with the cap cracked just to vent the pressure. It strikes me as odd because it's not exhaust pressure, it's steam pressure, and the temp gauge stays normal, the fans appear to be coming on at the right time. Any ideas? Or is this normal of a blown SVX head gasket? My legacy doesn't make this much pressure, and i know for a fact that there's a leak on all 4 cylinders
Old 05-25-2010, 03:19 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
There are a few ways to go about it, you buy the parts to fix yours now with plenty of down time to do it correctly. Or you pull this engine for rebuild over time and put in an engine that is known good $600-$800 depending. You may find deals through this network or you can take your chances and buy one and cross your fingers on water pump, timing belt, and headgaskets on it. Or you can try and do the quick turn around fix but makes for tight spaces and knuckle busting blood sweat and tears type maintenance, that is just doing your HG and I believe there have been some who have done it with the engine still in the car. Plenty of options and choices though
No, no one has ever done a headgasket job on a Subaru 3.3 engine while installed in a Subaru SVX!
Unless you cut out the frame rails, and the inner fender metal.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-25-2010, 03:24 PM
There's a storm coming.

Older plastic and aluminum radiators can explode violently without a head gasket problem.
Ask the crowd that saw The Racer radiator explode violently when SOMEONE let the car run without turning on the electric fan switch at a Cumberland Autocross.

I just replaced a radiator from a 92 SVX today that is not leaking, but you can crumble away the upper hose pipe like it was styrofoam.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

I tried telling ya, its the headgaskets. That stuff wont change color at all unless theres HC in the cooling system..... I only stressed this because I have seen it numerous times, and didnt want you to waste money.

Forgive me for asking, but didnt you say you tested it for a HG leak before dropping the cash on this new radiator??

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Registered SVX

Pulling your engine is a great excuse to start modding and paint your engine...just imagine the possibilities

Then again, thats where my paychecks go...

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Did you ever fix the fans not working -.-?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
No, no one has ever done a headgasket job on a Subaru 3.3 engine while installed in a Subaru SVX!
Unless you cut out the frame rails, and the inner fender metal.
All I know is I read it on a thread, but while I don't feel like researching it to prove someone else said it or have them validate whether or not they did it. I KNOW I did read it because I thought that would be a huge PITA to do and not really worth the effort.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
All I know is I read it on a thread, but while I don't feel like researching it to prove someone else said it or have them validate whether or not they did it. I KNOW I did read it because I thought that would be a huge PITA to do and not really worth the effort.
Um, I would trust OT on this one... He's only been under an SVX a few hundred times
possibly even over a thousand
Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 AM

pulling a subaru engine is cake. Just go that route.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 AM

Yes, the fan problem was easy, a short in one of the fan wires. The AC is working now too.

And yes, there was a coolant test done prior to the radiator purchase. It didn't show any color change at all when it was done that time. It was blue the whole time. I was told though that those things flip bright yellow with even the smallest exhaust leak into the coolant, and this second test only barely turned aqua.

My gut is still telling me that it certainly is a head gasket leak, but is there any other possibility at all that would cause steam to be pushed so forcefully into the overflow tank? It's not exhaust, I smelled it, it's not gassy or exhausty at all. It's just steam from boiling coolant...Could my water pump be seizing or the old thermostat be clogged and stuck shut very badly? I'm grasping straws...

This is frustrating...
Oh well...
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Um, I would trust OT on this one... He's only been under an SVX a few hundred times
possibly even over a thousand
Um I didn't say whether i believed him or not. I just responded with what has been read and what I remember. If someone says they did it with the engine in, fine. Who am I to call BS? Just as I didn't say I don't believe OT on this.

The only thing I did was support WHY I mentioned it in the first place, and should not be seen as an attack against OT or a disagreement with his knowledge of the SVX.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

This is still with the old thermostat in mind you. He won't replace it and do a flush because it will apparently make the problem worse?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Okay, so the new radiator is in. I fill it with water, just enough to get to a mechanic for a flush and fill, and to put the new thermostat in.

Sooooo as it's driven into the bay, they open the hood, suddently there's a pop. The overflow tank lid popped open and there's steam coming out, quite a lot of it.

Could the thermostat just be very stuck?
Are you sure that the system was purged of air when you filled it? The heater circuit, and all the hoses, when drained, will hold air.
When a system overheats, the thermostat can melt the wax out of its operation cylinder. It should be replaced as a matter of course when an over heat has happened.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.