Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM

some trans questions

I have a 92 LSi that I am parting out. my goal is to yank the engine (already done) the engine harness, and the ECU for a standalone build to be swapped into my 03 Baja. Also I am contemplating swapping the svx springs into the baja as well.

The baja is a 5spd AWD and I want to butt the EG3.3 up to this trans. I have 123K miles on the baja clutch and I routinely use it to pull an 18 foot bass boat, so it's almost time to replace the clutch any way. I was just gonna order a clutch set for an 03 wrx, I figure it has 227 HP and the EG3.3 is 230. I am wondering if there is any difference between a turbo clutch and non turbo clutch. I think read somewhere that one is a push type clutch and the other is a pull type? Can anyone relate to this? I would think they are all push type, meaning when you push the clutch pedal down, the clutch fork pushes the throw-out bearing into the pressure plate, lifting the pressure plate off the clutch disk allowing it to float between the pressure plate and flywheel, and then of course when releasing the clutch pedal the pressure plate sandwiches the disk between itself and the flywheel.

The main thing I am trying to do is get a clutch and pressure plate out of something with similar power. The ultimate goal is to run the baja with the EG3.3 in it permanently and leave the EG3.3 stock. I can use the extra power to pull the boat around, and for getting up some of the steeper boat ramps.

If the swap goes well and everything is good then I will just run it like that.

If there is a difference between the turbo and non turbo clutches, is there anything else that's closer to 230HP non turbo? The baja is only 170HP and I wouldn't wanna get a baja clutch set to run with the 60HP difference unless that was the only way.