Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Transmission problem

I will give a small back story first on my 95. It has 209k miles on it now, for the past two years I didn't drive it too much as it needed some repairs to get it back to good running shape. A month or so ago I finally was able to make time to get it into the garage and start working on it. I changed out brakes, rotors, all four struts, etc as well as tearing apart the front of the engine and changing out the timing belt and components, and cam and crank seals were replaced. I just recently completed everything and put it all back together, fired it up and it ran well. Today I reinstalled the wheels/tires so I could take it off of the jack stands and pull it out of the garage Here comes my problem experienced, I went to shift to reverse and the transmission wasn't shifting. I then realized that the car will now shift into park and still won't. When I shift to reverse, and also drive, I touch the gas to go and I hear and feel the transmission or transfer case clunking and attempting to engage to let the car move. When I attempt to go back to park the car just will not shift back to park, instead I hear what sounds like gears grinding and failing to shift the transmission to park. I didn't do anything with the transmission during my repair work so I have no idea as to why the transmission is not engaging correctly now. The transmission worked and shifted fine when I pulled it into the garage. The only thing I can think of is that I knocked some sensor loose when I washed underneath the car with a garden hose although I didn't see any loose sensors. I still have no idea what is wrong with it and now I'm unalbe to drive it due to the shifting issues. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.