Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: STeeL's built motor/turbo build

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
As I'm OBDI I missing what I think is labeled the BPT on the picture (or I just removed it and don't remember) so I'd like to know what to do with these.
Yea, you don't have any of that junk. From the EGR temp sensor, this is a 94 or 95 engine though, so you'll have to leave the EGR solenoid and temp sensor attached if you're planning to delete the EGR.

Quote:
The lines I circled in orange and blue I'm assuming to go the tubes on the throttle bodies labeled R and P, though I'm still not terrible sure what to do with them. Is whats circled in red the pressure regulator that needs to be connected to the manifold nipple circled in pink?
Orange and blue I'm pretty sure you're right. Are you deleting the EGR at this point or no?

Red definitely does connect to pink.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I wouldn't mind removing it if I don't need it.

Also I have a Hydra, if that's important.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Registered SVX

It is very important, because I don't think the hydra will even use the EGR, so there's no point in keeping it. And you can toss the solenoid (which you'd have to pull the intake mani to get to anyway, so don't bother) and the temp sensor.

Yea, I'd get rid of it all. Just block off the lines at the TB and the exhaust and intake ports to the EGR. Remember man, all that stuff is just taking up space that would be better used for turbo piping. Not important now, but you'll be thanking yourself later.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Probably a bad time to be spending money on things I don't need, but I have a WRX Momo steering wheel on the way to my door

Going to try and find some time tomorrow to finish up the motor if I'm not in a food coma.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Nevermind, I think I found answers to both of my question haha.

I'm so close to dropping this motor back in the car I can almost taste it

Last edited by STeeL25T; 11-28-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:49 AM

In this image it appears as though he routed the R and P cooloant lines on the throttle body into each other. Is this something we all can do or something he can pull off because its modified beyond belief?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:35 PM

At long last.... Done
Old 12-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Registered SVX

Nice, congrats. I have that same oil cap.

The coolant lines on the throttle body can be bypassed. They are used to keep the throttle body warm so that in the winter freezing cold air doesn't condense in the throttle bodies and freeze the butterflies stuck open or closed. I have them bypassed in my car year-round because it doesn't get that cold here. The benefit is that colder intake air can only help with power. Some people switch it back and forth between summer and winter.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Registered SVX

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. R an P are the vac lines for the EGR. What that guy's done is basically the same as blocking them off.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks! My mistake, I don't know why I said coolant lines haha.

I bought the belt for the a/c compressor but my friend helping me out said that those need to be taken apart and oiled and what not when they're removed and turned upside down or else they'll burn up.. Never heard that before, but I figure I'll be safe and leave it off for the time being. Might get ultimately removed at some point in the future anyway.

We got to the point where we can't go any further without an engine hoist, so hopefully we can track one down and get back at it next weekend.

I got some questions on the transmission if you have any input. I'm *assuming* the front axles on my car are 02 WRX, as I'm pretty sure that's the trans that was in my car before I bought it. They do not appear as though they fit into my 05 WRX trans, they both look female. Is there another part that goes between them, am I looking at it wrong, or do I just need to go buy new axles?

Also I guess I'll have to go take a picture of it to show you what I have I guess, but my trans came with no shifter linkage but there at least part of one from the old trans in the car. Its got the shifter with the knob on it and two bars attached on bottom. I'd like to try and find a picture of a trans with this all connected because I'm fairly sure theres something significant I'm missing, no luck with that so far...

Last edited by STeeL25T; 12-04-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I got some questions on the transmission if you have any input. I'm *assuming* the front axles on my car are 02 WRX, as I'm pretty sure that's the trans that was in my car before I bought it. They do not appear as though they fit into my 05 WRX trans, they both look female. Is there another part that goes between them, am I looking at it wrong, or do I just need to go buy new axles?
Do you still have the old trans? I think there are stubs that are male-male that pop into the trans that should make those axles work. Search around or ask on nasioc, I have definitely seen the answer before over there.

The SVX axles are also female on the end that connects to the trans, so you might have those. SVX axles seem to be used in both 5-speed and 6-speed swaps, front and rear.

That reminds me, you did quadruple-check that the rear diff is the same ratio as the new trans, right?

I have heard that A/C compressors need compressor oil, but I don't . My blue car has been without A/C since I bought it a year ago. I have all of the components to add it back, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, and I probably won't until after winter. But the other one has A/C so I just use it on really hot days.

There's not much else to the shifter linkage other than that. Two bushings at the end where it attaches to the trans. The bottom linkage connects to the body of the car at the back of the hole for the shifter. The shifter has a ball at the bottom that fits into the bottom linkage. The upper linkage connects to the shifter higher up. That's it for a 5-speed. A 6-speed also has the reverse lockout mechanism.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
That reminds me, you did quadruple-check that the rear diff is the CORRECT ratio FOR the new trans, right?
Fixed.

The differential doesn't match the front differential ratio. It compliments the front and center differential. '02-'05 WRX have 3.54 rear ends and 3.9 front end with 1.1:1 center.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 AM

From the pictures I've seen since posting I do not appear to have the rubber boot that goes around the lever the slave is next/connected to, probably what mounts the slave to it, and I done have the big bracket at the front the dog bone hooks to. No vehicle speed sensor in the trans so I'm hoping theres on connected to something hanging under my car. The starter I have looks like it will work, though no clue where the bolts to it are..

Essentially, I have none of this

Old 01-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Holidays are over, tuition paid, so it's time to get back to work.

I still don't have my transmission wired and sensored up like it should be, I'll be putting some more time into this over the weekend... But for now, I have a brand new Exedy OEM clutch recommended by a member in the drivetrain thread on it way to my door. I shipped it SuperSaver because I'm cheap so I'm guessing the middle of next week I should have it. Only thing I'm debating now should I order a KartBoy short shifter and bushings now or wait and do it later... Does anyone know if its a big hassle to do once the trans is in the car?

In the rice department, I picked up a brand new OEM Momo shift knob and a used Corbeau racing seat with sliders out of a Honda, they're either Civic or Accord.. Can't remember. I'm more than likely going to try and sell it for more than I got it for because I was told before I went to see it that it was the microsuede version and it turns out it wasn't, but it was still a good price so I got it anyway to test fit in the car and on myself haha.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM

EDIT: I don't have the factory short shifter, so Kartboy shifter and bushings are on their way. Also ordred a new transmission harness which I'm at least fairly sure I don't have along with two other OEM clutch parts from subaruparts.com, though it's doubtful they are going to make it here by the weekend.

Last edited by STeeL25T; 01-23-2012 at 07:47 AM.