Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I wanted to see if I could get more info about the crossover pipe, I recall seeing a long ways back in the thread something about the IRIS system not being used on the vehicle this was fitted on so the pipe was able to be straighter. I'm just curious what changes would need to be done to make this same pipe but so it would fit on a vehicle that still has the IRIS and also more specifically what was tapped into (the heads "at the bosses for the front two cylinders on each head and ran hoses to the custom crossover pipes" not sure what Bill meant by this) and how, and what sensors are tapped into the pipe.
The part that's tapped into: On top of the engine block in addition to the two big water outlets, there are also 4 very small water outlets (2 on each side) that water flows through into the stock crossover pipe. Looks like what they did here was weld 2 small tubes on each side of the new y-pipe (gold) and attach hoses to connect them to those small outlets. I think they would have had to tap (like when you add threads to something) the holes in order to attach those fittings to them.

Sensors - basically see svxfiles' post. The two sensors look to me like the stock coolant temp sensors.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 07-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I wanted to see if I could get more info about the crossover pipe, I recall seeing a long ways back in the thread something about the IRIS system not being used on the vehicle this was fitted on so the pipe was able to be straighter. I'm just curious what changes would need to be done to make this same pipe but so it would fit on a vehicle that still has the IRIS and also more specifically what was tapped into (the heads "at the bosses for the front two cylinders on each head and ran hoses to the custom crossover pipes" not sure what Bill meant by this) and how, and what sensors are tapped into the pipe.
Reposting the image to refresh what I'm talking about
FYI -- what you're looking at is the very extensively modified engine that YT built for Dan. This pre-dated Tony's efforts related to modifying the water pump outlet. I don't recall how Dan's engine did when he ran it at Summit Point.

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-25-2012, 04:28 AM

So we've pretty much sorted what needs to be done to solve this issue with the bigger thermostat cover and proven it's worth on the track. However a minor issue remains and this is the passenger head exits hotter than the driver head (Australian cars). Tony has logged this at being 10'C difference. This really isn't an issue for 99.999999% of people but it can easily be fixed if you're bored and or just want to do a mod. Why not nessecary - recently my ecu read temps never going above 88'C after 65 laps @ a circuit with a turbo EG33 and the ecu reads the hotter head... so I could get away with this forever.

Anyway the temperature difference is due to the pressure of the passenger head having flow restriction due to having to force it's way to the radiator. The driver side has a much easier route.

Also note the EJ2X outlet is far smaller than the EG33 head outlet. The EJ2X outlet on each head is 26 mm, (1062 mm^2 area total) going out a 30mm outlet (707 mm^2 area). The EG33 is 29 mm (1322 mm^2 area total) trying to get out a 30 mm outlet (707 mm^2). So what if we double the outlet and make an easier path for the passenger side head... so today after chatting with Tony I made this up.... yes I know, I spend all my time welding steel and none welding ally so my ally welding sucks giant dogs balls. However this is just a beta version. They will both run into a Y-piece merge that feeds a 46 mm radiator inlet up top, I'll do that with stainless - far easier for me to weld Basically all that it does is give an far easier exit for the passenger head water.

Last edited by bazza; 08-25-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Bazza,

Yep, that weld is definitely a case of function over form (giant dog balls indeed!) !

Seriously, it looks like what you've done is a simpler version of what Tom did on Dan's car. Looking forward to seeing how this works out!

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Bazza,

Yep, that weld is definitely a case of function over form (giant dog balls indeed!) !

Seriously, it looks like what you've done is a simpler version of what Tom did on Dan's car. Looking forward to seeing how this works out!

Bill
Hahaha yeah indeed. I've had a little experience playing with flow rates and radiators... mainly for my heated pool (via a firedrum) so I'm rather confident what I've done will work nicely.

Is that this one? I like the design - if the merge was bigger - 46mm ID or even it would be perfect - although it's hard to tell what size it is, could already be that size?

I think this will be the perfect design, 2" ID even better than 46 mm ID after the merge.

Also for interest sake, going from 38mm pump inlet to 50mm pump inlet increases the cross flow area from 1135mm^2 to 1965mm^2... massive difference. Even 46mm is 1662mm^2.

Last edited by bazza; 08-25-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I almost miss the days of r&d.... almost...

Tom
Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 PM

Registered SVX

We need to find you a new way to mod a SVX Tom?

I got some ideas...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Hahaha yeah indeed. I've had a little experience playing with flow rates and radiators... mainly for my heated pool (via a fire drum) so I'm rather confident what I've done will work nicely.

Is that this one? I like the design - if the merge was bigger - 46mm ID or even it would be perfect - although it's hard to tell what size it is, could already be that size?

I think this will be the perfect design, 2" ID even better than 46 mm ID after the merge.

Also for interest sake, going from 38mm pump inlet to 50mm pump inlet increases the cross flow area from 1135mm^2 to 1965mm^2... massive difference. Even 46mm is 1662mm^2.
Bazza,

Yep, that is the first step in Tom's (TomsSVX) modification to the coolant system on Dan's engine. If you flips back a few posts (#1292) you'll see the finished product (lines tapped into the main lines). What I don't think you've seen is the inline thermostat housing Tom added in the return line (for that matter, I don't remember seeing pics of it, but then that's probably age on my part ;-) ).

Bill

My Locker
Old 08-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Over the last couple of months in between other jobs have been playing with designs for new top pipe which include twin thermostates for cooling. Also a change to the PWR radiator. I was trying to develop the design so it would acheive the following.

- Have a thermostate for each head.
- Two pipes returning to the radiator.
- Use a different type of thermostate, one that when open will close the coolant going to the pump throught the 2 small hoses.
- Thermostates to be located as far back as possiable close to the head outlet.
- In addiation I had been working on a new cross flow radiator design that could be built by PWR (then you guys in the USA could get it) but have since found a way to acheive the same thing with a top and bottom tank design still made by PWR.
- Review pressure loss in the sytem and attemp to reduce that loss so the system can cope with the higher flow of the pump running at 10k. Current engine means that 1/2 of the pressure loss in the system is from the back top of the block were the coolant comes out of the heads.

When I get it onto this issue I will post updates.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 AM

I'M planning to built my own thermostat cover but just to be sure It's 45mm ID? and your OD is 50mm?

thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark_22 View Post
I'M planning to built my own thermostat cover but just to be sure It's 45mm ID? and your OD is 50mm?

thanks
My cover is 2" (~50 mm) OD. However the radiator outlet is 46mm OD so I step down slightly.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM

^^
ok, and somebody know if the oem housing( not the plastic one) of the wrx, sti ,ez30 are bigger than the eg33?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I almost miss the days of r&d.... almost...

Tom
Tom!

Can you post a pic of the inline thermostat housing - and specs for it - that you used on Dan's car?

Thanks.

Bill

My Locker
Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 PM

Guys just about finished a thermostate housing that welds to the end of the top pipe along side the power steering pump. Have been stuffing around with the GCode on the CNC lathe so I can run up a number of these units at once as I will fit them to all my cars.
See if we can get photos up today.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 AM

Here is photos of the top aluminium thermostate holder.
As you can see it has the following advantages:-
Its welded to the top pipe,
Its tucked away from the power steering pump etc,
The thermostate is easly accessiable.
Doesn't effect the rest of the engine plumbing.
And you can chose your top pipe size by changing the out let cover.
Its a really neat and tidy soluation for engine reving up to 8K.

Happy to answer any question, I will need to discuss this with Bazza but we maybe prepared to sell units to others. If you are interested let Bazza know and depending on demand we will consider selling them to others. Haven't sorted a price yet but we don't aim to get rich.
Tony

Attached Images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0282.JPG (206.3 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0283.JPG (203.9 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0284.JPG (205.0 KB, 299 views)