How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 09:45 AM

Exclamation Solenoid C

My car developed a weird binding problem. When I drive, it feels like there is rubbing. When driving in a straight line, the car whines when I let off the gas, and I need more power to move than normal. The whining sounds like a failed pump (or possibly sticking valve). When I turn it locks up even moreso. feels like it's rubbing. I took off all four wheels and it it not physically rubbing anywhere but rather struggling right from the tranny. The tcu threw me a code 24 the other day and I assume it's either duty solenoid C, the recall transmission filter, or the internal transmission filter (do I even have one of these, or is that what the recall filter is on the '92?). I drained/replaced oil/atf and made sure all fluid levels were good. My ATF was only slight brown with little to no metallic flakes, which leads me to believe that it's the solenoid as the tranny doesnt seem worn (shifts better than ever since the new ATF!).

I'm looking to replace my solenoid C assembly. I came up with these parts for the fix. Can anyone confirm that this is all I need to do the solenoid swap, or give me correct part numbers/advice? While I'm under my car, I'd like to swap the transmission filter too. From what I've heard '92s lack an internal transmission filter. Is this true? If so, where can I get a replacement recall/campaign filter.

31942AA070 Pt040396 Vlv Ay Trf
31952AA030 Plate Transfer Valve
31954AA071 Gasket Transfer Valv

Any advice, suggestions, etc, would be really appriciated.

Thanks, John
Old 05-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I did this work on my SVX about 4 years and 120k miles ago. Mine was stuck so that there was no RWD.

You have to take down the exhaust so you need the exhaust gaskets and springs and bolts and nuts. I replaced all five gaskets so that there would be less chance of a leak afterwards. The spring bolts had to be cut out with a saws all.

I used a new plate and gasket for both sides because I do not like to spend time cleaning old gaskets off if I can avoid it.

You will need the gasket between the transfer housing and the tranny.

There are more searchable posts on this subject.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check on the AWD clutch itself. You may want to replace it while you're in there.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If it's whining while going strait, measure your tire diameters, according to Subaru they have to be within 1/4" of each other.
It sounds like your solenoid C is bad, but install the 10 amp. FWD fuse in the under hood fuse box and see if the symptoms go away.

P.s. The 92s had/have internal filters.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 05-26-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Pics in my locker from when Tom (SVXFiles) and I replaced the Solenoid C in my '92.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-26-2005, 12:59 PM

With the FWD fuse, it doesn't bind. It does however, whine (alot less than without the fuse, but theres still a little whine). Car was driving fine, parked it, drove it again and symptoms developed. I don't think tire diameter problems would happen so quickly
Old 06-03-2005, 08:15 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
I did this work on my SVX about 4 years and 120k miles ago. Mine was stuck so that there was no RWD.

You have to take down the exhaust so you need the exhaust gaskets and springs and bolts and nuts. I replaced all five gaskets so that there would be less chance of a leak afterwards. The spring bolts had to be cut out with a saws all.

I used a new plate and gasket for both sides because I do not like to spend time cleaning old gaskets off if I can avoid it.

You will need the gasket between the transfer housing and the tranny.

There are more searchable posts on this subject.
Good to see you are still posting. I've been away for awhile.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:22 PM

Car is on jackstands and bottom of car is stripped. Have a clear view of the rear end of the tranny, will investigate more tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:15 AM
SVX Appeal

Since you have to remove it anyway to look inside the transfer housing, pull the speed sensor first. Mine had metal debris on it when my transfer clutch basket failed. I suspect yours might too, but from the parking pawl instead. (Just a theory.)

Speed sensor: Located on the transfer housing, passenger's side near the top. Should be the only 10mm screw back there.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:49 PM

Ok, what the hell. Used a mechanics stethiscope, and the noise is DEFINATELY coming from the transfer housing, no noise from the front diff. Drained the oil, no metal bits. Took the speed sensor out (^thanks for the tip), no metal bits. Took the transfer housing off, inside is immaculate. The wire to solinoid c is intact, and the bearings all look and seem to spin fine. I put 12v to the solinoid and it clicks, seems to be working. I'm friggin stumped. Tranny filter? Rear diff (need to check it, looks nasty)? I'll get some pics of inside. Anyone have any other ideas