Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM

hey all new here

Hi everyone, (sorry for the run-on sentences, I'm thinking as I type) and this probably belongs in teh tech section but eh.

I work at a junkyard and I just saved a 92 SVX LS-L from becoming a shiny new spoon. It's black and has 145k miles on it. Its severly rusty and I will be using it for transportation for work aka daily beater. The car isn't really worth restoring because of the rust but its good enough of a car to keep from being junked. It has a few issues I am hoping to work out with some help from the SVX crowd.

I love all cars especially the odd balls, and my race car is a 92 Chevy Beretta GTZ with a 240hp high compression quad 4 motor. I also own a 91 Lexus LS400, and a bunch of other assorted gm junk from the 80s and 90s (if anyone is wants to know just ask and i'll list them) Anyways I have a lot to learn about my new car because its really a change from the cars im used to.

I have a couple problems I need to address before I can drive it. For the most part it runs and drives, BUT i test drove it when it was cold this morning and it really feels sluggish and not a car that has 230hp stock. the torque was there right off the bat then after a minute it was almost slower than a metro pushing a semi truck.

The first thing I noticed when I popped the hood was the radiator was patched together on the top tank with fiberglass resin or some other type of epoxy. There was a new alternator and the power steering made a little buzz. I read on here about the oring that goes bad and I suspect that is what is bad because there is ps fluid on the intake or whatever that is. I ordered the oring from my local suby dealer tonight.

There were about 10 empty bottles of power steering fluid and 2 bottles of coolant in the car. I checked the oil, it was clear, just a little brown (oil change sticker says change at 147k), tranny fluid looked ok not burnt but probably could be changed. the engine makes almost no noise cept for the ps pump, its probably the quiestest car I own. I just want it to be a powerful little rocket to drive to work everyday that might turn a head or two.

I used to be a mechanic so I am not afraid to get dirty on this thing. I am just not used to these weird opposed cylinders and japanese fuel injection/driveability (the lexus oddly enough only requires oil changes at 233k :P).

Thanks
Stephanie

Last edited by steph; 12-04-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: I put spaces in.. for easier reading.