Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 AM

Registered SVX
The "Toy"

Ok,

Performance of the "Toy" - as my wife named the SVX - was estimated for the first time. As some of you might have seen on other threads, the vehicle is a 1992 US spec car @ 120.000 miles and was imported to Finland by a doctor in the early nineties. A guy who operates a construction company bought it in 1998, had it turbo charged in 2000 and did use it untill I bought it earlier this year.

It has a single T3/T4 hybrid, runs at 4-5PSI boost and had a few very interesting mods in the fuelling and engine management. Also, the tranny was replaced with 4.444 gearing when the original one gave way in 2001.

Now it runs with a Stage 2 ECU mod from Micheal, Deatschwerk 370cc injectors and an N62 MAF. There's also a reworked valve body in the tranny, but right now I'm running with a stock TCU.

Before the stage 2 upgrade it ran flat on its face @ 5000 rpm due to a fuel cut caused by a saturated MAF. I also have an Innovate LC1 wide band (with a gauge) permanently installed just down stream of the turbo and the AFR seems fine, very steady 12 untill it tapers down to 11ish just before the tranny upshift at around 6800 rpm.

From some previous games I have a ten year old Race Tech AP22 acceleration gauge and today I made two pulls....

There's enough torque to smoke the front tires in first gear so I figured it would be safer to begin by starting in manual second, the surface was a bit damp so it still spun the front wheels - that can be seen in both attached graphs. In the first run both front wheels spun smoothly, on the second run it hopped a bit from side to side - this can clearly be seen also.

Anyway the torque peak is at around 4k and power starts to taper down at 5800rpm.

There's no intercooling so next step is to find out wheter the knock protection is activated and timing cut back or do I just need a different turbo and a cooler .

I didn't have enough space to drive faster to see what happens at higher rpm levels in third.

Looking at the numbers it seems to be a seven second car - in second gear. Also, it takes a full second for the tranny to upshift to third, aboslutely no flaring, though. Would be nice to compare the AP22 against a real clock. The hp numbers are just numbers - based on calculations and config data I put in the AP22, though they have added up rather nicely with rolling road values on some other vehicles in the past.

Tapani

- edit: I ran the same test with the Outback (-06, 3.0R), this time thru all gears..... pls see the images. I need to find a better spot and better traction for the SVX to be able to start in first. I think the MPT clutch can't handle the torque, so it's too biased to the front. I need start thinking about a VTD tail for the tranny :-). The wheel spin can be seen very clearly in the g-force image. The overall gear ratio in second is 6,88 in the SVX and 7,41 in the Outback. Quite a difference in the g-force :-)
Attached Images
File Type: png g force ob 1st, 2nd & 3rd.png (53.5 KB, 523 views)
File Type: png Run 2.png (69.0 KB, 684 views)
File Type: png Outback 3.0R.png (59.8 KB, 577 views)
File Type: png SVX 2nd gear vs OB.png (53.9 KB, 612 views)
File Type: png g force svx 2nd & 3rd.png (74.0 KB, 540 views)

Last edited by Tapani; 10-29-2011 at 11:39 AM.